Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2023, 09:42 AM   #1
Y-Blockhead

Default Remember 9/11/01

Every year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0758 2.jpg (48.1 KB, 202 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Remember 9/11/01

Sobering to think that today's late teens recruits were not alive when that happened. Even today's new officers coming from ROTC or academy programs were not alive.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Sobering to think that today's late teens recruits were not alive when that happened. Even today's new officers coming from ROTC or academy programs were not alive.
JayJay, We were just talking last night. I had just gotten off graveyard shift at the El Segundo, CA Chevron Refinery the morning of 9/11. The Air Force was on high alert being the refinery is located next to the LAX runways.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
JayJay

I was on the Amtrak commuting from my home near Sacramento to my work in Berkeley. We also went on high alert as my job at the time was at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, a US Department of Energy research facility that many confused with defense-related work (that work occurs at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, about 40 miles away). All of the DOE was very concerned about what was going on.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #5
ursus

Was coming in on a crab boat - radio off -and surprised to see empty docks and a very quiet crowd in the bar watching something on the TV, ....
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
Oldcarbearings

I wonder if the REAL truth will ever come out/be revealed?.......,
I was on my way to work when i heard it on the wireless news station i was listening to,
Disbelief,horror,shock&stunned, years later i DON'T believe the "official" government explanation NO disrespect to those that lost loved ones on that day R.I.P.
Oldcarbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
eagle

I remember Peter Jennings on the air for hours upon hours, no politics in his reporting, just his honest take, true reporting. That kind of reporting has went extinct, sadly.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:33 PM   #8
CT Jack

I was driving down to my customers shop in Faifield, CT that morning and decided to stop and buy a coffee. This was on the Merrit Pkwy which is a restricted non-commercial highway. There weren't many cars on the road that morning and when I went into the rest stop a lady said to me "did you hear about the plane crash in NYC". I said no and went out to my car and turned on the radio to hear the awful news. When I got to my customers shop we all went over to the waters edge on LI Sound and we could see the smoke over NYC. We were all in complete disbelief.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #9
henry's 31

I was working on a child patient (retired pediatric dentist) son of a military member and when the second plane hit mother told me to finish quickly, that she needed to get back to post and that her life was about to change. She was correct in that statement!
Old 09-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #10
old31

I remember that day. I was just laid off from work the week before. My daughter called me and said dad, turn on the tv you wont believe it. She was right! And I still don't believe it.

A few years a ago my wife and I went to the NYC memorial, it was sobering.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:37 AM   #11
rackops

I was stationed on a Navy guided missile destroyer in Norfolk. One of my Sailors came up to me and, with his Louisana drawl told me "some idiot just flew a plane into the World Trade Center..." We rushed down to the electronics room where we had a TV and sure enough, someone did. Then, there was another...and then a helicopter crash at the Pentagon (they called it a helicopter crash for a long time that morning). We secured the ship and headed out to sea. It was the first, and only, time there was no air traffic over the US, aside from military aircraft. We had no idea what was happening, but knew it was big...had no idea that the rest of my career would be molded by that day.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:20 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Just like JFK's assassination, everyone knows where they were on that beautiful Tuesday. I was taking some folks to Boston. I had 3 strange talks with Albany, NYC and Boston ATC. landing at BOS was uneventful until I stopped for a quick re-fuel. I was told about what had happened and that I wasn't leaving for quite some time. I spent 3 good days in Boston and rented a care to get back home. I couldn't return to get the plane for about 10-12 days. The first Hi-jacked plane flew right over me, but, didn't know that and I couldn't see it. We had 2 offices in the WTC and lost everyone.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:40 AM   #13
Randall

In my yard
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5007.jpeg (212.4 KB, 26 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
Benson

Let's not forget what the people near the airport at Gander, Newfoundland and all across Canada did that day!

https://www.911memorial.org/connect/...erosity-gander
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:51 AM   #15
Synchro909

When I heard about it, mu wife and I had just gone to bed. It was about midnight when our daughter rand and told us to turn on the television- America is under attack. Holy cr@p! I don't remember what the time was when we turned it off again.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:23 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

I will always remember 9/11. I lived in Houston and my wife and I were “glued” to the TV for hours. I also remember Pearl Harbor. I lived in NJ then and was in the second grade. On Monday all the children at the school were terrified. I remember Gander too. My wife and I and our youngest son were flying from New York to Frankfurt on a TWA plane about 6 months before TWA went bankrupt. An engine caught fire and we landed there and spent about 11 hours there. It was early June and about 30 degrees and the old military airport had no heating. Everyone was freezing.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:13 PM   #17
David in San Antonio

Uncle Gene had been in the Navy during Korea. Worked as a technician in the decades following, married, had two boys. Gene was always very quiet but it seemed that bottling up life’s stresses took its toll. On 9/11 Uncle Gene sat in front of the tv watching the news reports and that same video clip we’ve all seen. They just showed it over and over. After some hours there was no additional “news” just lots of speculation and that clip over and over some more. Aunt Janice urged him to stop watching. His sons, now men with their own families, visited and asked him to take a walk with them. Uncle Gene stayed by his post, so to speak, quietly watching that tv. Around noon on 9/12 he had a massive coronary and was pronounced dead at the hospital. What a dreadful day. So many lives were affected. And for what? Because people who lived on the other side of the world were taught to have such hatred for people in America, people they never met? And how many of us now have reciprocal hatred, too?
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #18
David in San Antonio

My sister and her husband live on Long Island and worked in Manhattan. Steve’s business was about ten blocks north of Wall Street. Lauri’s office was another mile north of that. Steve walked uptown to meet Lauri to figure out how they could get home. He said there was shredded, scorched paper falling like New Year confetti, filthy with ash, and it just kept falling the whole time. The street was ankle-deep in undifferentiated stuff. Bits of ceiling tile? Insulation? Upholstery? Concrete dust? Clothing? It all just looked like crap, garbage, trash. It covered everything and was blowing around. An hour prior it was most certainly not crap or garbage or trash.
Alamo A’s Club
Old 09-17-2023, 07:48 PM   #19
David in San Antonio

My sister is a tough cookie. When Manhattan reopened and her office got back to work, she did too. Woke up in time for the 6:10 am Long Island Railroad commuter train just like before. Bought the New York Times, a cup of coffee and a buttered bagel at the same place in the railway terminal. She said it was like everything was normal but really effed-up at the same time. Said she didn’t feel upset. But every lamppost, every mailbox, had “Have you seen…” signs with inkjet color printed snapshots. Have you seen? A bald guy wearing a tie and hugging a little girl. A grey haired lady standing next to a bride. A tough guy with a mustache wearing a muscle shirt. A priest. A UPS guy in that brown uniform. The same people you didn’t look at every day on the subway, in the elevator, rushing along the sidewalk. Then a week or two later Lauri just started to cry and couldn’t stop. The scale of so many heartbreaks. All those “have you seen” posters still there. The awful wondering if the posters still there meant the person was still missing? Or maybe they were found at a hospital miles away and were just fine, reunited with their family, but no one went around taking down the posters? Hope and dread and thinking about who’s lucky and who wasn’t.
Alamo A’s Club
Old 09-17-2023, 07:55 PM   #20
David in San Antonio

My brother’s apartment was less than ten blocks from the World Trade Center. On 9/11 he had the flu. He saw the sky get dark and went up to the roof garden on top of his building. He saw the fire. He thought it was a big fire. Then he saw the second plane hit.
He described what happened not as a bombing, or terrorism, or attack. He always refers to it as the 9/11 murders.
Alamo A’s Club

Last edited by David in San Antonio; 09-17-2023 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity