Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
rogerkb1936

Default shortened pitman arms

hi, seeking opinions or experiences concerning the newer forged pitman arms. concerned about safety of these. i have used the welded ones for a few years. one of those threw the steering wheel center off. still usable but a bit of a pain. are the forged ones ok in that regard? thanx for your time
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: shortened pitman arms

If you use an adjustable drag link with the short pitman arm, you can adjust the steering wheel center any way you want.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
MikeK

A second option is to bend the new forged arm in a hydraulic press. The ball center needs to move back only about 0.062" (1/16") to compensate for the short arm's triangulation difference of 1.5". Bend the arm in the center, do not bend the ball riser!

There are a lot of parts mfg. tolerance and other variables between cars in the entire steering assembly. To compensate for everything you can put a dial indicator on the back of the drag link and move the steering wheel from the existing driving center to the desired wheel center. You can measure exactly how much offset is needed for your particular car. Then remove and bend the arm once.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

do a search as there are many posts on this subject. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
glenn in camino

I just took one off of my 31 sport coupe and went back to the original. The short arm reduced my turning radius too much.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
burner31

I installed one...I like it
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Most people would never return to the original. I think it is a major improvement and have installed them on all six of my Model A cars. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 06-03-2016 at 03:04 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
29spcoupe

I have one on my Coupe. I bought my from Snyder's. I have noticed a wider turning radius, but not so much that it bothers me. I have a bad arm and the easier steering is welcome.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Al 29Tudor

Am I missing something?
I think the spindle pin nut limits the amount of turning not the shorter pitman arm.
The spindles will rotate until they contact the spindle pin nut which is the designed limit stop.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
CarlG

The common misconception is that the shorter pitman arm has a longer turning radius than the standard one. In actuallity, it's shorter in one direction and conversly longer in the other direction by the same amount. The adjustable drag link enables you to bring everything back to normal, so there is no loss/gain in turning radius.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
5lugnuts

I don't see why there should be any difference in turning right or left. There is enough travel on the worm gear for the extra rotation right and left. The pitman arm position can be set in the midway position from right to left and any adjustment needed to make the vehicle track straight can be made by adjusting the tie rod so one wheel tracks straight and then adjusting the tie rod for the other wheel to track straight. If you run out of thread on one end, get what is needed from the other end. Is my thinking too simple?
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
Keith True

All the shortened ones I've installed hit the stops both before and after.I did remove one for somebody that said it reduced his radius,when I showed him his spindles were hitting the stops he said it meant nothing,he knew his radius was greater and had me take it off.I don't know if I ever use full travel or not.On my pickup if I turn the wheels over to full warp in one direction,it is all but impossible to get them back again.If I back up a foot or so they straighten out.If I let the clutch out from a dead stop with the wheels at full warp the car will take off and turn,but it would really rather plow straight ahead.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
quickchange

Mike , would you not move the ball end 1/16" forward as the inline position , ie wheels in straight ahead position the drag link would be too short by a small amount due to the angle changing slightly , We are currently making a pattern in order to have a short RHD one produced, in nodular steel , just like the LHD one , Ford made them shorter in 32- 35 , slightly more turning on the steering wheel but much lighter steering , Derek in a frosty NZ
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Clem Clement

I love mine. Rainmaker made it for me
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #15
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lugnuts View Post
I don't see why there should be any difference in turning right or left. There is enough travel on the worm gear for the extra rotation right and left. The pitman arm position can be set in the midway position from right to left and any adjustment needed to make the vehicle track straight can be made by adjusting the tie rod so one wheel tracks straight and then adjusting the tie rod for the other wheel to track straight. If you run out of thread on one end, get what is needed from the other end. Is my thinking too simple?
It doesn't work that way, if you set the pitman arm in the midway position you will have to turn the steering wheel to do so, that will make it off center, it will not affect the toe in, if you have a 2 tooth box you may not have a problem reaching the stops left to right, however the steering wheel will move off center slightly, the 7 tooth is another story.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
quickchange

So with an adjustable drag link , one could lengthen it & bring zero free play back to wheels pointing in a straight line , ??? Correct ???
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #17
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I installed one...I like it
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #18
34 FORDOR

Thumbs up Re: shortened pitman arms

Derek you've got.Easy to cut your drag link , cut left and right threads and screw on an adjusting sleeve. Find the centre position in your steering box, mark your steering wheel at the top,then drive down the road, adjust so your mark is at the top. Steering lock will be equal left and right
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:36 AM   #19
dave in australia

Of course, instead of putting a shorter pitman arm on to make steering easier, you could just eat your weet-bix in the morning. Or, have some vegemite on toast. TIC of course.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:06 AM   #20
quickchange

34 fordoor , mine are all LHD with short arms , What we are trying to do is produce a legal right hand pitman arm due too demand, to cut & weld is illegal unless certified , with ageing drivers some want lighter steering ,& have been cutting & welding there own, not recommended, Some time ago we found a fault with new repo sector shafts in both right & left form , adjusted to zero free play , wheels where pointed at one o'clock or 11 o'clock depending if rhd or lhd , supplier since supplied correct ones , yes an adjustable pitman arm solved this , At 90mph it needs to have no slack, The f100 box is a good transplant , Dave veggie mite is for you guys , here we eat marmite that's why our rugby players kick arse, lol