Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Paul-32

Default 31-32 Ford rumble seat springs

I have inherited a 1932 Ford project that my father started 30 years ago but had set it aside. I have worked with him in various stages and am now attempting to put it back together from vague memories. He has since passed away so I know longer have the expert. This forum has been my replacement expert with tons of useful information. First question is it a 31 or 32. He always referred to it as a 32 but from what I learned from this forum that the floor pan looks to be of a 31 or at least an early 32 (still a model A). He had picked up some seat springs for the car and the front fit fine but the rumble seat ones look to be for something else. The seat back I have does slide into the top of the lid but the bottom brackets hook around the bottom edge where there isn't a bold hole. The lid does have the D-nuts partially up on the bottom where I'm thinking the spring should be bolting to. Plus the curve of the seat doesn't match the lid. The bottom seat looks to be correct but a bit too big for the pan. It extends way past the edge of the pan (which is new and doesn't have the holes drilled for the seat spring yet. It really appears both are too big for the seat area. I have attached pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-10 14.46.48.jpg (50.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-10 14.47.01.jpg (49.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-10 14.47.34.jpg (120.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-10 14.47.51.jpg (83.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-10 14.46.28.jpg (49.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-02 14.28.09.jpg (46.9 KB, 39 views)
Paul-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: 31-32 Ford rumble seat springs

That is an early 1930. It's possibly a Coupe body built by Briggs. Look on the firewall on the right side where the patent plate should be for a second plate or a pair of holes below the four holes for the Ford plate.

All new reproduction floor pans have been installed. Some parts such as deck lid lower stops are missing. The seat riser is also missing the holes for the two lower spring catches or loops to snap into. Correction, I see the stops at least.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
ron103140

Paul, those do look like 30-31 ford rumble seats for standard roadster. The only thing I see that you may have a problem with is on the seat back the tabs that hold the bottom secure are it looks like should be bent straight so you can put in the screws that go into the D nuts.
ron103140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Paul-32

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron103140 View Post
Paul, those do look like 30-31 ford rumble seats for standard roadster. The only thing I see that you may have a problem with is on the seat back the tabs that hold the bottom secure are it looks like should be bent straight so you can put in the screws that go into the D nuts.
Thanks for the reply's. As for seat back. The tabs on these springs are bent in because the seat back is long enough to reach the bottom of the lid. It wraps around the edge perfectly however there are no D-nuts on the bottom and I haven't seen any reference to the seat mounting to the bottom of the deck lid on any 30-32 cars. So at the least I think the back seat is not for a model A. Also having the seat back approximately 4 inches longer than it should be doesn't allow the bottom seat to be back where it needs to be. The question I now have is what year and model is this seat back for. And of course I now need to find a proper seat back spring.
Paul-32 is offline   Reply With Quote