Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Radiator level question

OK, I give... where is the radiator water level supposed to be in normal operation?

I have no idea what the level is because it immediately spews enough water out to drop below the baffle.

The overflow tube... should it be leaning forward or straight up?

Engine is happy and does not seem to be running hot but I am loosing fluid all the time....and it marks its territory every night. (worse than any Harley I've owned)
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Radiator level question

See if making the level just above the tubes keeps it from 'puking' water.

The tube position as you mentioned it is not that critical as long as it is tall enough.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
springerpete

Each car is a little different. Add coolant to where you think it should be. Then add a bit more. Drive the car and allow the excess to spew out ( as you say). At this point the level should be where your car wants it. With the baffle in the way it is difficult to tell.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Dan/Kzo

after doing post #3, you may be able to check and see the level when engine is hot at fast idle
Dan/Kzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Mr. Wz,

FWIW:

If the top of the overflow tube appears to be too low, thus causing excess lost of coolant, sometimes a properly sized, tight fitting length of rubber hose can be fitted over this overflow tube & allowed to extend in the upward direction; hence, with extended top end of the overflow tube positioned higher, coolant level cannot easily exit the former low top of the overflow tube & one can maintain a higher coolant level in the top of the radiator.

Try it if you would like to experiment with same -- beats buying a new radiator.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

When I look in my radiator I can't see the water. I fill it up drive it an hour or so and then see how much water I need to add. The next trip the same thing. The amount of water is always a couple of pints. Now I just fill it every couple of months to be sure and it has yet to take more than a couple of pints. The seem to like there own level.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
MrWzrd
BANNED

Had a gut feeling so I ran a test last night....and it failed.

Engine is stone cold.
Filled the radiator to just below the top of the overflow tube.

and watched it drip drip drip drip drip out of the bottom of the overflow tube. (top of tube is above water)

I'm guessing that the overflow tube has a crack or hole in it ... probably as it passes through the header. grrrrrrr
Old 10-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
earbleeder

My coolant level falls too. They seek their own level. Block the bottom of the tube and fill the radiator to just below the top of the tube. Stick a piece of hose on the top of the tube and blow. No bubbles no crack.
earbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
Had a gut feeling so I ran a test last night....and it failed.

Engine is stone cold.
Filled the radiator to just below the top of the overflow tube.

and watched it drip drip drip drip drip out of the bottom of the overflow tube. (top of tube is above water)

I'm guessing that the overflow tube has a crack or hole in it ... probably as it passes through the header. grrrrrrr
My overflow tube had a crack in it just where it passed through the baffle. I could not see it until I removed the tube. I think it wore through due to vibration.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
steve s

Sounds pretty clear that you have a leak. After you pull the radiator and take it to a shop for repair and reinstall (groan), you can use one of those long wooden coffee stir sticks as a dip stick to see what your water level is, at least how high the level is above the core. The dip stick can let you reach around the baffle and see what's going on in that zone between the baffle and the core.

As long as the level settles at some point above the core, you're ok. My new Brassworks radiator stays at ~3/4" (ignoring trig corrections for dipstick angle). Adding more is silly; it just pumps it out the first time I'm out on the highway.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
MrWzrd
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
My overflow tube had a crack in it just where it passed through the baffle. I could not see it until I removed the tube. I think it wore through due to vibration.
And that is exactly what I have. There was a 1" length of tubing that I thought was protecting the pipe but must have been a "repair". ( no vibration cut in tubing )

Going to try to solder it tonight. Got it drained, cleaned and dried but I got hungry.