Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
hope

Default Routing wires

Having problem remembering where the wires go in the area below the steering box.
Don't know if the wires to the dimmer switch, horn relay,and wires to the front head lights, go thru the frame at some point or around the frame, I seem to have an excess length of wiring as I'm trying to position them.

Its been a "very long time" since these wires were pulled, and my memory is not as it used to be.

As always thanks for any HELP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (70.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (62.7 KB, 91 views)
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
hope

Default Re: Routing wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
Having problem remembering where the wires go in the area below the steering box.
Don't know if the wires to the dimmer switch, horn relay,and wires to the front head lights, go thru the frame at some point or around the frame, I seem to have an excess length of wiring as I'm trying to position them.

Its been a "very long time" since these wires were pulled, and my memory is not as it used to be.

As always thanks for any HELP.
Guess I'm on my own on this one............
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Old Henry

Looks like your car is older than my 47 - you didn't say what year it was - but the headlight wires for my 47 go along the left side of the engine compartment at the top of the fender, not down below. The dimmer switch, of course, is down low but the horn relay is at the top of the fire wall above that. Don't know if this helps with your car. Maybe if you said what year your car was someone with one like it might be more helpful.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

here's a diagram from MacVP's website, showing wiring for a '40....hope it's some help.....Mike

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...ram1940car.jpg
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Looks like your car is older than my 47 - you didn't say what year it was - but the headlight wires for my 47 go along the left side of the engine compartment at the top of the fender, not down below. The dimmer switch, of course, is down low but the horn relay is at the top of the fire wall above that. Don't know if this helps with your car. Maybe if you said what year your car was someone with one like it might be more helpful.
!940 Tudor.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
19Fordy

On my 40 coupe the wires for the headlights, dimmer switch and horn relay all come out at the top of the firewall inside the black cloth covered wiring harness which then goes into the top opening of the kidney shaped wire loom cover lower down on the firewall. From that kidney shaped cover one branch of the harness comes out and goes across the firewall towards the passenger side of the car where it attaches to the engines electrical, starting solenoid, etc. Another branch of the wiring harness exits the bottom of the kidney shaped cover, runs down the firewall to the top of the frame. Those wires feed the headlight wiring harness, the horn relay and the dimmer switch. So, at the point where those wires meet the top of the left frame rail the dimmer switch wires tuck back behind the cowl under the floorboard and attach to the dimmer switch. Keep them away from the clutch pedal. The horn wire goes forward along the top of the left frame rail and attaches to the horn relay. The headlight wiring harness keeps going forward along the top of the left frame rail and then comes up the fender panel and exits to the headlights. That harness then also connect to the wires from the right headlight. On the original 40 ford those headlight wires ran along the top of the radiator core inside a metal channel with bendable tangs to keep them away from the fan blade. I ran my headlight wires in front of the radiator so I don't have the correct photos. Make sure to keep your wires from any hot metal areas or moving parts areas, like the exhausts ,clutch and brake pedals and linkages. Also you will find you won't have so much excess wire. Click on pics to enlarge. In the photos I have wrapped the wiring harness that runs along the top left frame rail with black electrical tape. My car has been converted to 12V so the wires on the voltage regulator are different than the stock 40. My voltage regulator does not work as I use an alternator. That black metal cover on the frame rail hides the horn relay. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3425B.jpg (53.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3413B.jpg (63.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3420B.jpg (66.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3421B.jpg (67.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3422B.jpg (58.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3426.jpg (66.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Mart

The stock harness routing wouldn't go through the frame like that. You have to imagine how Henry's boys would have done it in a production line scenario. They would not thread it through a hole in the frame.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Cecil/WV

Mine has a biscuit motor mount, but I can't find the Trisket like yours has.
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
hope

WOW, Thanks a bunch 19 Forty for the elaborate explanation, its very much appreciated.
I do have wiring diagrams and schematics, but none showed physically the routing of wires.
I'm well aware that in many instances you have to use proper judgment, but my "proper judgment" needs a lot of HELP. LOL
Old 12-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Mine has a biscuit motor mount, but I can't find the Trisket like yours has.
It all depends on how you spell "Triscuit."
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
WOW, Thanks a bunch 19 Forty for the elaborate explanation, its very much appreciated.
I do have wiring diagrams and schematics, but none showed physically the routing of wires.
I'm well aware that in many instances you have to use proper judgment, but my "proper judgment" needs a lot of HELP. LOL
Thanks. I am sure you will do just fine. It looks like you may be using a home made harness as I see different color wires. Be sure and wrap your wires so they don't get frayed and solder all metal terminals to the wires. It takes a little more time but will save you so much trouble later on. Also, if you are using jackstands, make sure they are safely positioned and keep the wheels on your car.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
hope

Your concern about jack stands and frayed wires is well founded. That's one thing I'm always careful about, been doing the proper positioning of the stands for many years.

I pretty much had to do most of the rewiring from scratch, (about one wire at a time) because I'm converting to 12 volts with modern gauges.

The local wire Co. in R.I. told me they could not produce me a wire system because of the change over. ( what they have is original) I was told it would require a research of such system and would cost MUCH $$$$$.

At the moment the wires look a mess, but I don't want to tidy everything for now until I'm all done with the wiring.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
It all depends on how you spell "Triscuit."
I'll look again!
Cecil/WV is online now   Reply With Quote