Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
highbeams

Default 1933 car fuel sender repairable?

I've read (some time back, that fuel senders of this generation had points; to repair its function, file(or emery-paper) the points. $325 new. whew!

Firstly, the tank is not under the rumble-seat floor pan for easy access;

(the floor pan hole re access to the differential = under-the-rumble seat location. )

Apparently the tank has to be dropped, or remove the bumper and panel. The previous owner installed a new tank; said the sender is 'shot'.

Thank you.

Pat Malone-
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 car fuel sender repairable?

'32-'35 Ford fuel gauges are hydrostatic and there is no electricity involved, just copper-plated tubing from the sender in the tank to the gauge unit that serves as an air line wherein air pressure differentials indicate the level of fuel in the tank. The gauge in the instrument panel is a glass tube with special red liquid contained therein. there's no dial. It would seem that you have a replacement tank with a post-'35 electric sender and some type of compatible gauge.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
'32-'35 Ford fuel gauges are hydrostatic and there is no electricity involved, just copper-plated tubing from the sender in the tank to the gauge unit that serves as an air line wherein air pressure differentials indicate the level of fuel in the tank. The gauge in the instrument panel is a glass tube with special red liquid contained therein. there's no dial. It would seem that you have a replacement tank with a post-'35 electric sender and some type of compatible gauge.
Thank you, David G.FYI, The car has its orig non-functioning gauge, that I'll send to D&D restoration in Greenville SC.

(they COMPLETELY rebuilt my '68 Mustang am fm w/vintage echo chamber, installed a plug for accessory which when used will play through the radio.)

EXCELLENT people, service. They provide an estimate prior to beginning work, ( for your yes or no.)

Post service & your payment They return the repaired item.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:26 AM   #4
rich b

There is an access cover for the sender; at least there has been on the several '33s I've had or worked on. It is on the driver's side and further to the back than the banjo clearance hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 box - Copy_LI.jpg (41.4 KB, 294 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
mercman from oz

As Rich added, remove this Cover to access the Fuel Sender Unit in the Tank.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
koates

H Beams. Before you go sending the dash gauge out for repair may I suggest that you study how this hydrostatic King Seley system works. When you understand how it works then you can do your own faultfinding and repair it. The gauge or dash unit is only one part of the system and is tested in conjunction with the air line and the tank unit. There are no electrics involved at all with this system which was used in Fords from 1932 to 1935. The first electric fuel gauge came out in 1936 which is the one you were talking about which has electrical contacts in the tank sender. If your tank has been replaced with a new one who knows what type of sender has been fitted to it. You should check that out first. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #7
highbeams

This '33 3w - typical - floor pan under the rumble seat w/ differential pan hole(& cover - just fond & bought an orig pan hole cover); the floor pan rear edge is 'fortified', connecting to that is an ascending dished metal panel. There is no access anywhere here to the fuel sender!

Thanks or your info.

highbeams/Pat Malone
Old 07-30-2021, 03:16 AM   #8
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
H Beams. Before you go sending the dash gauge out for repair may I suggest that you study how this hydrostatic King Seley system works. When you understand how it works then you can do your own faultfinding and repair it. The gauge or dash unit is only one part of the system and is tested in conjunction with the air line and the tank unit. There are no electrics involved at all with this system which was used in Fords from 1932 to 1935. The first electric fuel gauge came out in 1936 which is the one you were talking about which has electrical contacts in the tank sender. If your tank has been replaced with a new one who knows what type of sender has been fitted to it. You should check that out first. Regards, Kevin.
Thank you much, Kevin. I won't send the dash gauge.

When I bought the car, over the phone, The seller & I had numerous discussions; he mentioned items that I never even thought of.

He said the fuel gauge is dirty w/o red glycerin-type fluid. The fuel sender doesn't function. There isn't access to the sender from a'top. Apparently the tank has to be dropped. I am physically not obliged to do any 'heavy' work, but on Aug 27, a shop I know and trust is goin' through the entire car. The shop is well-known for this as opposed to a tune-up or a problem recently noticed.

The previous owner is apparently, now, one of the Untouchables. He was honest, and has spoken enough about it, I'd say.

The car is an unresto'd beaut, inside & out. Rusty headed Mohair tacks.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #9
deuce lover

All Ford pass cars 32-40 had an access opening that had a lid held in place by a screw. Maybe someone sealed it on your car at some time. If the original sender is in place on your tank gaining access will be most difficult.The gas line and air line(to gauge) are rigid and cross over the rear crossmember from the left side of the frame.Dropping the tank down far enough to work on it without bending the lines will be a challenge.Very rarely do these senders go bad.They just need a good cleaning. Here is a pic of a restored gauge I did a few yrs ago.I don't do them any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 gas gauge front.jpg (34.1 KB, 21 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #10
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
All Ford pass cars 32-40 had an access opening that had a lid held in place by a screw. Maybe someone sealed it on your car at some time. If the original sender is in place on your tank gaining access will be most difficult.The gas line and air line(to gauge) are rigid and cross over the rear crossmember from the left side of the frame.Dropping the tank down far enough to work on it without bending the lines will be a challenge.Very rarely do these senders go bad.They just need a good cleaning. Here is a pic of a restored gauge I did a few yrs ago.I don't do them any more.
A beauty gauge, hey! Anything is possible, and you would agree that . . . hmm . . . why would one go through the trouble removing a screw; patch up the sender access. No data plates nor evidence that there once were data plates. Car is perfecto otherwise.

(history=one owner '49-'93, sold at estate. '93- '18 one owner. One other & now I.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
highbeams

Is this a sedan? - thx.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #12
Floyd

I am going out on a limb here, but the access plate/cover was provided to get to the fittings (airline and fuel line ) on the sender. The fittings are several inches away (forward) from the sender unit that goes into the tank. (At least on '32 which uses the same King Seeley setup). Therefore you may not be able to remove the sender assembly even if you have the access hole. There is nothing servicable in the sender since there are no moving parts. A through cleaning and inspection is all that is required. Do yorself a favor and drop the tank, you will be glad you did.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #13
deuce lover

The fuel sender can be removed thru the access opening. The opening was designed for that purpose.Here is a link to what a 33-34 sender looks like.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=fuel+sender
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #14
DavidG

His earlier comments about the tank being replaced suggest that it has/had an electric sending unit, which in most reproduction tanks well removed from the access opening. In fairness, that's based on the photos/illustrations of those tanks that I have seen; I personally have not used a reproduction tank.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #15
highbeams

I apologize to you, Deuce Lover.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:06 AM   #16
deuce lover

No problem.Just reread post #2 and your orig post which says your gauge and sender were modified so all that I said doesn't pertain to you situation. Do you in fact have an orig gas gauge (as I pictured)?
Old 08-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #17
highbeams

Thank you Deuce Lover, once again. I did post that there is no access on a '33 3w. You're hopefully aware. Thanks. highbeams Pat Malone.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #18
highbeams

Yes, I do, w/remnants of what was once red.

Does one remove the dirty gauge, or does one removed the machined-gauges panel . . .

Being no access to the fuel sender in a '33 3w, the tank must be dropped, and I have had advice by a sage member to do that and view the sender - if there is one - then determine if in fact it is a '33 sender, if it is functioning . . . . .

C&G has new '33 senders for beaucoup bucks, in my opinion; likely affordable to others. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
No problem.Just reread post #2 and your orig post which says your gauge and sender were modified so all that I said doesn't pertain to you situation. Do you in fact have an orig gas gauge (as I pictured)?
Yes I do. quite dirty. Does one remove the gauge, or remove the machined-panel in order to remove the gauge.

Thank you! highbeams Pat Malone
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #20
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Thank you, Kevin.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #21
highbeams

yes, I do.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #22
aandkt

Does anyone have any info on a 1936 fuel gauge as to access and repair?
Thanks
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote