Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #1
Graeme / New Zealand

Default electronic crab

If i was to convert a crab distributor to electronic what is the Petronix kit i should use?.... the system is 6v.

Would I have to change the plug wires out from cooper core?

I have a stock Skip rebuilt coil. What coil should I use?

Please note I have no plan of doing this at the moment but it might be something for the future.

Thanks
GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
johncusano

Default Re: electronic crab

6 volt pos grand? No soild core wires. And a pertronix 0.6 ohm coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johncusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
BUBBAS IGNITION

I would measure the skip coil its more than likely correct at .6 ohms.

Beware electronics dont like 6 volt, with a generator etc. Voltage float kills them every time.....

Part number for six volt 1285LSP6 Summitt is a good place to purchase them.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
drolston

From the history on this board, 12 volt Pertronix users with alternators have good luck. I have been running that setup for four years with no problems. 6 volt users seem to have many more failures.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
From the history on this board, 12 volt Pertronix users with alternators have good luck. I have been running that setup for four years with no problems. 6 volt users seem to have many more failures.
Thats VERY true! They make a "Mallory/MSD" voltage filter to use with a generator but still thats a lot of trouble. The factory crab is one of the very best Ford ever made and will run for a lots of miles before needing any maintence , properly lubes and set up....
Old 07-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Thats VERY true! They make a "Mallory/MSD" voltage filter to use with a generator but still thats a lot of trouble. The factory crab is one of the very best Ford ever made and will run for a lots of miles before needing any maintence , properly lubes and set up....
I still use the points & condenser on my 12 volt converted 47 (with alternator).. I have considered your conversion Jim (bubbas ignition).. but I also want to keep my solid core wires.. so I decided to stay with the tried & true.. Been going on 2 1/2 years with no issues with the points & condenser..

So to piggy back on this question, can points & condenser work with the filament style plug wires?... the reason I ask is I always drive long distance with back up parts (extra water pump, belts, extra points & condenser).. but I don't want to carry an extra set of solid core plug wires if I switch to electronic ignition... I know.. don't obsess, just enjoy the ride!... LOL

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
I still use the points & condenser on my 12 volt converted 47 (with alternator).. I have considered your conversion Jim (bubbas ignition).. but I also want to keep my solid core wires.. so I decided to stay with the tried & true.. Been going on 2 1/2 years with no issues with the points & condenser..

So to piggy back on this question, can points & condenser work with the filament style plug wires?... the reason I ask is I always drive long distance with back up parts (extra water pump, belts, extra points & condenser).. but I don't want to carry an extra set of solid core plug wires if I switch to electronic ignition... I know.. don't obsess, just enjoy the ride!... LOL
Points can run with any wire set.
We no longer offer a electronic unit ( was too many phone calls with burnt up units using the wrong coil , that my friend told me to use etc).

I still install one every now and then if ya ship it with the rebuild that way i dont get the call and the seller can warranty the defective module. The worse case is the six volt unit , think about it a six volt car charges at 7.2 volts, thats a 1.2 threshold etc. Not very much.....compared to a 12 volt....
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Points can run with any wire set.
We no longer offer a electronic unit ( was too many phone calls with burnt up units using the wrong coil , that my friend told me to use etc).

I still install one every now and then if ya ship it with the rebuild that way i dont get the call and the seller can warranty the defective module. The worse case is the six volt unit , think about it a six volt car charges at 7.2 volts, thats a 1.2 threshold etc. Not very much.....compared to a 12 volt....
Thanks for the info Jim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #9
Graeme / New Zealand

Thanks for the posts everyone. Well there is nothing wrong with my set up and bearing in mind the negative comments for this conversion on 6v with gennie, I think I'll adapt the old saying, "if aint broke don't fix it". I particularly take note of what Bubba says about the factory crabs reilability.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote