Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan
Default Y-Block camshaft end play

Just had an interesting day determining why I had less than .0000 camshaft end play on a fresh 312 build. New cam, bearings, lifters. After checking assembly procedure, parts, etc, I found the brass cam plug I used instead of steel rubbing the rear of the camshaft. Measuring the depth of the brass plug gave about .360 ". Measuring the new Dorman steel plug gave .270". Since the plug is installed flush with the rear block surface, the extra .090 " was more than enough to interfere with the camshaft. Although I check just about everything on a build, I just check for free turning on the installed camshaft. One more item now on the check/measure list.
Now, on to the specs for camshaft end play. This is where it gets interesting. The 1956 Ford manual calls for maximum of .012". The 1957 Ford manual doesn't specify a camshaft end play spec at all ( at least one I could find). The 1962 Ford manual calls for .001 - .007" on a 292, with a max of .012". I now stack up with .005" end play, which I'm comfortable with, as I've seen a lot of retainer plates pretty gouged up from the cam timing gear due to I'm sure insufficient lubrication. Thought I'd throw this out here for what it's worth to everyone. Perhaps the real veteran Y-Block builders have even more to add.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Y-Block camshaft end play

I would think .005 would be good to go with. I like to use a small (1/16 to 1/8 ) saw to cut a light groove on the back side of the retainer to channel oil on its face and to the chain.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
packrat5
BANNED

You can get some serious power out of a Y-block, but they are a different breed than the majority, and CAREFUL assembly, and attention to the details, and just plain weird things must be observed. In other words, it's not a small block chevy. Go on youtube, and watch Jon Kaase pump out nearly 600 hp out of one at the Engine masters Challenge. In fact he won the vintage engine class. This sounds great, until you realize that several years before, Ted Eaton did nearly the same with iron heads, and much less special stuff, which was not available then. Kudos also to John Mummert who started this whole thing going, and is responsible for most of the new special cast and machined parts.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
scicala

"Go on youtube, and watch Jon Kaase pump out nearly 600 hp out of one at the Engine masters Challenge. In fact he won the vintage engine class. This sounds great, until"

It was a nice video, but didn't give any info about the engine other than is had aluminum heads and an Edelbrock tunnel ram from a Chevy V8. No info on head mods, carb sizes, camshaft or anything else. I got the impression he modified the intake ports on the heads to be conventional instead of stacked, since he said he used 10 lbs. of aluminum welding rods on the heads.

Sal

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
TedEaton

I target for 0.004" +/- 0.002" for camshaft end play for the Y engines. With the number of various spacers and washers that are used as attaching parts for the Y, it's prudent to check these before installing. Ted Eaton.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

Feel good that both Don and Ted say OK on .005". Don, thanks, I do put the oiling groove on the backside of the retainer. That whole area as designed seems to be a lubrication/stack up headache.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote