Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #21
40cpe

Default Re: nasty odor

Lawson, the OP doesn't have an overflow tank. See post # 10, I think it prompted your question. He said "if there is an overflow tank."
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:25 AM   #22
ford38v8

Woodie, To be clear, unless you have a restrictor valve on the exit end of the overflow tube, It makes no difference what cap you use, you won't have a pressurized system.

Radiators of the day were not designed to be pressurized, but yours is of a design that will readily accept 3 lbs pressure. Your choices are simple:
1 - leave it as it was built.
2 - Install a Skip Haney 3 lb restrictor on the overflow tube and a pressure cap.
3 - Install a coolant recovery system as has been described above.

To help you make the right decision, remember the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 09-18-2021, 02:28 AM   #23
aussie merc

if that smell is similar to a bad curry its coolant [boy its off ]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #24
Woodie1

I just tried lowering the coolant level to about 1/4" above the fins in the radiator. I didn't notice the odor on a short drive but now the engine quits when I slow down to stop. Coolant level may be too low. I'll put some back in the next time I can play with it again & see if it will idle. At least there wasn't coolant on top of the radiator pan this time.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #25
Tinker

Coolant finds it's own level. It pushes it out when it's too much and expands under heat. Fill it, move on to the reason you have a heat issue. You said you have a heat issue? What temps are you running?

You might have a pin hole in the radiator that is also not helped by the 4lb cap (as I mentioned). Coolant on a hot motor will definitionally smell. It's very distinct, as it smells sweet and like coolant. May need to pull the radiator and have it fixed.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-18-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #26
flatjack9

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie1 View Post
I just tried lowering the coolant level to about 1/4" above the fins in the radiator. I didn't notice the odor on a short drive but now the engine quits when I slow down to stop. Coolant level may be too low. I'll put some back in the next time I can play with it again & see if it will idle. At least there wasn't coolant on top of the radiator pan this time.
Coolant level has nothing to do with the engine stopping when you slow down.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #27
drolston

Quote:
I am guessing that lowering the coolant level fixed the overflow and smell problem. Stalling is not related to the coolant level. Leave the coolant where it is for now.

Does it start right back up and idle normally when it dies coming to a stop? Or is it hard to restart. Maybe the idle is set too low. Maybe the idle jets are set too lean. What carburetor so you have on your engine?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #28
Woodie1

It does take some cranking to get it to restart but if you don't give it gas it dies again. I did bump the idle up yesterday because it was close to dying it was so slow. The carb is the 91-99. I'll have to get back at it in a couple of days.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #29
Woodie1

Things just seem to go south with this car. I'm turning up the idle so I can check for vacuum leaks & I have to have the throttle pulled out about 1/4 - 3/8" in order for the car to stay running. Then before I can try anything it looks like she may be over heating again. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump bad?
Old 09-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #30
Lawson Cox

If the engine continues to run long enough for it to overheat, it ain't the fuel pump.

What symptoms do you notice that leads you to believe it is overheating?

Did you get an infrared thermometer as suggested? What is the thermometer reading?

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #31
Woodie1

I have not had time to get the thermometer yet. I have found part of the problem though. I wasn't sure how tight the fan belt should be so I tried to tighten it a little more. Then I thought to check & see if the water pumps were turning. To my surprise the passenger side pump was froze solid. I'm thinking it's best to replace it rather than try to loosen it up. The other pump seems free enough. I want to get a pair done by Skip. Not sure on turn around these days. We don't have a lot of driving time left here before it gets too cold to want to drive without a heater.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #32
Lawson Cox

Quote:
I have not had time to get the thermometer yet. I have found part of the problem though. I wasn't sure how tight the fan belt should be so I tried to tighten it a little more. Then I thought to check & see if the water pumps were turning. To my surprise the passenger side pump was froze solid. I'm thinking it's best to replace it rather than try to loosen it up. The other pump seems free enough. I want to get a pair done by Skip. Not sure on turn around these days. We don't have a lot of driving time left here before it gets too cold to want to drive without a heater.
You should be able to push the fan belt down about one inch between the pumps and fan. Over tighten and wear out a pump real fast.

The smell was probably coming from the fan belt slipping on the frozen w/p pulley. That would also at least contribute to the engine stalling.

Keep us posted.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #33
mercman from oz

Coolant Level is Woodie1's 1939 Ford
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #34
Woodie1

I will keep that 1 inch deflection of the fan belt logged in my memory bank. Hopefully I will find it when needed.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #35
B-O-B

I was taught to only tighten or loosen to 1/2 " deflection on the fan belt. 1" is pretty loose.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #36
joe 1950

My 50 used to bubble over when i first got it so nothing wrong with overheating problem so i installed 160 t stats 4 lb cap set level at just above the core then installed a stainless overflow tank problem solved good for 24 years i think i got it from speedway motors good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #37
joe 1950

speedway motors overflow tank part # 91102213
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #38
Woodie1

I went out tonight & loosened the generator so I could remove the fan belt from the problem water pump pulley. I then rapped the end of the pump pulley with a block of hard wood over it . Not much room to move a hammer but after a couple of times it was free enough to turn the pulley by hand easily. Started the car & the pulley was turning. Went for a short half mile ride & checked the pulley when I got home. It was still turning. I don't think the radiator feels as hot. I will do some more short idles first to make sure it doesn't freeze up again. I did send a set of pumps out to Skip today for rebuild. I did notice some gas around the throttle linkage on the lower end. I don't think that should be there. At least it runs.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #39
Tinker

Well that should get you through the driving season I hope.

Might have a loose throttle shaft and a flooding issue.

It might be a good way to judge the heat of a motor with your hand but I might suggest finding another way to figure that out.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-21-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote