Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Torchie

Default 41 Ford front axel spring perches

Does any one make new spring perches for 1941 ford cars? I haven't been able to find a source.
Just in case I really mess up the old ones taking them out. Or do I really need to take them out?
Thanks for the responses.
Torchie.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 41 Ford front axel spring perches

They are not reproduced but do come available from time to time. Expect to pay about $150 for a pair of NOS.
How would we know if you need to remove them? What are you attempting to accomplish? Are the ones currently installed worn out?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
They are not reproduced but do come available from time to time. Expect to pay about $150 for a pair of NOS.
How would we know if you need to remove them? What are you attempting to accomplish? Are the ones currently installed worn out?
Well ok then....
Restoring a 1941 Ford car chassis. Spring perches are very pitted. As far as being worn out goes,what constitutes a worn out spring perch?
Out of round holes. Damaged threads. Being bent. Magnafluxed for cracks. To check most of that they would need to be removed from the spring as well as the axle. So I thought that I would check on availability before going any farther in case they were damaged removing them.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Well ok then....
Restoring a 1941 Ford car chassis. Spring perches are very pitted. As far as being worn out goes,what constitutes a worn out spring perch?
Out of round holes. Damaged threads. Being bent. Magnafluxed for cracks. To check most of that they would need to be removed from the spring as well as the axle. So I thought that I would check on availability before going any farther in case they were damaged removing them.
Torchie, In all of the cars I have restored (MANY) I have yet to have a worn out or otherwise damaged perch bolt. While I am certain that happens, it has not to me.
Can you fill the pits? If so, I'd suggest if the pins do not otherwise appear damaged, then by all means leave them in place
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
41Fordor

NOS show up on that auction site every now and then. Yeah, about $70 each is what I paid, then gave up and left my old ones in for now. Mine had been converted to tube shocks at some point in the past. I managed to reuse my tube shock adapter bolts and original anti-sway bar still.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Torchie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Torchie, In all of the cars I have restored (MANY) I have yet to have a worn out or otherwise damaged perch bolt. While I am certain that happens, it has not to me.
Can you fill the pits? If so, I'd suggest if the pins do not otherwise appear damaged, then by all means leave them in place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Fordor View Post
NOS show up on that auction site every now and then. Yeah, about $70 each is what I paid, then gave up and left my old ones in for now. Mine had been converted to tube shocks at some point in the past. I managed to reuse my tube shock adapter bolts and original anti-sway bar still.
Kube and 41 Ford. Thanks for the responses. I have never had to replace spring perches on any of my projects either. For now I will disassemble everything, not remove the perches and blast the axle and see how it turns out.
A PO put tube shocks on this one as well as still having the anti-sway bar. They just welded a stud to the bottom of the axle and fab'd some stands for the top. The welding looks good but I am not thrilled with the angle of the shock as the bottom stud is on the inboard of the wishbone causing the shocks to angle inward instead of outward. Is this even a workable design or should it be changed as well ?
I know that the 41 front axle presents some challenges compared to other years which is why the hot rodders didn't use them so much.
Torchie.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
416Ford

Not trying to hijack a tread.
Can one of you post up a picture of the front shock set-up? I am going to try and help one of our other members out with this install but I can not picture what is being done.
I have a MII suspension in my car so I have no experience with this.
Thanks
416Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Ford View Post
Not trying to hijack a tread.
Can one of you post up a picture of the front shock set-up? I am going to try and help one of our other members out with this install but I can not picture what is being done.
I have a MII suspension in my car so I have no experience with this.
Thanks
Are you looking for a lever action set up or tube?
If you google Ford Lever action shocks you will bring up some pics and info.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 02-20-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
416Ford

He is switching to Tube shocks.
I did see 41Fordor picture from above the shock but the lower part or setup is what I am trying to understand.
Heading home from work now, then off to the shop for the night. Will check back in later tonight.
416Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
oldskool

I recently installed tube shocks on my 41 coupe, it took a while to get the right parts together. most kits they sell don't work with original sway bar...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM002060.jpg (80.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IM002061.jpg (68.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IM002062.jpg (55.9 KB, 123 views)
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
I recently installed tube shocks on my 41 coupe, it took a while to get the right parts together. most kits they sell don't work with original sway bar...
Agreed. Pete and Jakes has a nice kit but it states that it will not work with the sway bar.
Most that i have seen seem to use a longer upper shackle stud to mount the lower shock eye. On the set up above you are using the original shock linkage mounting eye on the lower end and a Repro? frame mounted stand. Correct?
Torchie.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
oldskool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Agreed. Pete and Jakes has a nice kit but it states that it will not work with the sway bar.
Most that i have seen seem to use a longer upper shackle stud to mount the lower shock eye. On the set up above you are using the original shock linkage mounting eye on the lower end and a Repro? frame mounted stand. Correct?
Torchie.

the lower shock stud is a special tapered one that mounts where the dog bone link originally was, as far as I know nobody makes them, the brackets are n.o.s not repro. depending on what brackets you have will determine what shocks will work...
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
41Fordor

As mentioned above, the lower shock stud is a special tapered one that mounts where the dog bone link originally was, as far as I know nobody makes them. Mine had been converted years ago and I found some NAPA shocks that fit the old conversion. I posted the NAPA Part # in another link, I'd have to search for it
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Fordor View Post

As mentioned above, the lower shock stud is a special tapered one that mounts where the dog bone link originally was, as far as I know nobody makes them. Mine had been converted years ago and I found some NAPA shocks that fit the old conversion. I posted the NAPA Part # in another link, I'd have to search for it
41 Fordor.
Looks like you are not using the front sway bar on your set up? If you are not how has it affected your ride and handling.
Torchie.

Last edited by Torchie; 02-20-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add ons
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
nospartsman
BANNED

Perches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5545.jpg (112.7 KB, 116 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
41Fordor

I am using the front sway bar, I just hadn't installed it yet in that picture.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
Doughie

Just finished installing tube shocks on front of 41 sedan. Ordered "Vintage" bolt on kit. It does not fit as advertised. Neither does anything from Speedway. Ended up bolting 2x3 tubing to frame then attached speedway upper mount to it just to clear the sway bar. Not pretty but it works. None of these kits seem to fit as advertised. Very frustrating.
Doughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #18
19Fordy

Looks like contacting nospartsman would be helpful.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Might be difficult as he is banned from the Ford Barn.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #20
drolston

Ah, the joys of working on the front end of a '41, with its oddball components!

I vote for using stock Houdaile shocks. The only reason Ford went away from them is that they were so much more expensive to manufacture than tube shocks. My '41 handles fine, and I throw it around pretty hard on some rough roads. If worn out, they are rebuildable.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote