Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
Mad Mac

Default RHD manifold removal

A question for all you RHD/antipodean guys: I am trying to remove the exhaust manifold from my 1929 roadster pickup. It should be a simple thing, but the manifold hits the steering column well before it comes off the rearmost stud. Please tell me I don't have to loosen or remove the steering column first??!!
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: RHD manifold removal

I've ranted about the stupidityof this design for ages. Ford's engineers must have designed this on a Monday after a big weekend!
If you can get that rearmost stud out with the manifold held as far out as you can, you will get the manifold off. Maybe you'll have to do the same with the second from the rear, depending on how far the stud is screwed in. If that doesn't work, then yes, you'll have to loosen the steering column at the chassis and under the tank.
Good luck with it.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Mad Mac

Thanks. I was hoping that someone might know a special trick, like pulling (ie rotating) the engine over from the other side to clear it away from the column. Might that work? It depends how rigidly the motor is held to the chassis. I guess those rubber engine-mounts don't have much give in them.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
Mad Mac

OK I've done it now. For the record: I confirm that the only way is to completely remove the bottom column-to-chassis bolt and loosen the top one. Only then was it possible to pull the steering column over far enough to remove the manifold. I didn't try removing the rearmost studs, as that would have been even more difficult. Who would have thought a blown manifold gasket would involve so much @#!*%-ing around?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Tudortomnz

For the record, I have never encountered this problem& always could get the manifold off with a slight twist, never had to loosen column. You do have to push the little spark arm up & maybe loosen off the throttle yoke if in way. I have heard all sorts of moans about RHD features [ eg. the clutch pedal does not hang up on exhaust clamp if it is angled correctly] it was all well designed at Detroit. At least we have the choke in the correct place on the steering column ! Cheers.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
john charlton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
We have 4 RHD cars on the road and use the "drop in" style gasket so it is easy to remove the old and fit the new by just pulling the manifold away from the block . I have removed manifolds to fit a straighter one but found they come out with bit of a "wiggle".

John in heavy rain (ugh) Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
john charlton

We have 4 RHD cars on the road and use the "drop in" style gasket just pull the manifold away from the block for clearance .I have changed manifolds and found with a bit of a "wiggle" I have not had to move the steering column .I guess it must vary car to car .

John in heavy rain(ugh) Suffolk County England .
Old 10-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
john charlton

OOPS double post first one got lost in cyberspace for a while ,must be the rain!!!

John in same place same weather .
Old 10-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
We have 4 RHD cars on the road and use the "drop in" style gasket just pull the manifold away from the block for clearance .I have changed manifolds and found with a bit of a "wiggle" I have not had to move the steering column .I guess it must vary car to car .

John in heavy rain(ugh) Suffolk County England .
Yes John, I also do this, just pull the manifold back & scrape crap away, insert new gasket. But have also taken it completely off & certainly did not loosen column, it is a bit tight but it should come off if everything is standard. Cheers - Tom in sunny sth New Zealand!
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Yes John, I also do this, just pull the manifold back & scrape crap away, insert new gasket. But have also taken it completely off & certainly did not loosen column, it is a bit tight but it should come off if everything is standard. Cheers - Tom in sunny sth New Zealand!
Maybe it would have been easier to remove the "collar" thing on the steering column that holds the spark/fuel levers. But even that would still have been very tight. I think my studs must stick out a bit further than some - the length
used might vary between engine re-conditioners.

I had to remove the manifold because I want to check for "flatness" and if necessary plane it.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:59 AM   #11
dave in australia

Just this weekend, I fitted my exhaust-inlet manifold to my Tudor, body on and steering column in. If you start with the front tilted up and out, you can get the assembly past, as the rear stud lines up with its spot on the manifold, roll it into position.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 AM   #12
SAJ

I just changed the gasket in our 1931 Tudor RHD. I had to wangle, twist and contort to get the manifold off the back stud. Impossible to describe or even remember what I did. Each car may be different now due to machining manifolds and maybe blocks over the years. And different sizes and thicknesses of the stud holes themselves. I have no answer to Mad Macs problem, but sympathy. I was possibly lucky that both my RHD cars release their manifolds after a bit of a struggle.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:39 AM   #13
dumb person

I found it is tight but you don't need to remove the column. Just very very tight.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote