Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Throw out bearing lubrication

For several months I have had a high pitched screeching sound that few people could hear and it seemed none could identify. Removing the fan belt didn't seem to help and I heard it loudest when bent forward as in turning the gas off after a drive. Today I bit the bullet and spent serious diagnostic time and came to the conclusion it was most likely coming from the throw out bearing. I pumped two pumps from my gun into the zerc fitting and all sounds good. Now I'm reluctant to go for a third pump, but hesitant to reassemble everything until sure that I have adequately lubed it. Like to hear your thoughts.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
richard crow

Default Re: Throw out bearing lubrication

if you are hearing noise from the throw out bearing with out touching the clutch pedal your clutch adj is not right. the throw out bearing should only make contack with the pressure plate when the pedal is pushed.if the bearing is in constant contack it will wear out fast
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Patrick L.

As RC mentioned, that bearing should not be spinning with the pedal all the way up/released.

If it is then adjust the free-play to 1.5", and try it again.

Most release bearings today are sealed so they can't be greased thru that fitting. However older bearings can be greased thru that fitting.

I'm also wondering if you have a pilot bearing problem. Most are a bearing, which could be bad, but, some have a bushing which can run dry. On a bushing I've seen fellas install them dry and then stick a glob [ technical term ] of grease in them. The grease will burn and cause a squeal. Those bushings should be Oil-Lite and they need to be loaded before installation.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
daveymc29

The noise came from that area, I doubt it was the bearing as it was fully releasing and not spinning unless the clutch was in. It is gone now and I answered my own question with a third pump of the handle on the grease gun. The sound went away with the first squirt of grease so I am thinking the collar the bearing slides on had a dry spot on it that produced the high pitched screech. All is good and quiet now and the clutch works fine, as it has always done, so I didn't get grease on the disc. Or it may have been something else that got cured by removing and replacing the floor boards. I am using an old open sided throw-out bearing that can receive some lube when lubing the slide collar. The pilot bearing is not Oil lite, it is a closed ball bearing.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Its always good to hear that problems are fixed, even if they don't seem to make sense.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote