Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My T Bird is a 292 bored 40 over I found

I got all the paperwork on my T-Bird and found when the engine was rebuilt. Its a 292 bored 40 over completely rebuilt. It has less then a 1000 miles since that was done. The T-Bird has lots of power and its enough for me. zzzzzzzzjust need to get the bugs out of the carb. It does not hold its prime when sitting for a day or two. I half to crank it a good bit before it starts. The engine has a new cam, Cam Bearings,rods,Pistons, Valves, Valve springs, heads milled, Timing Change AND Oil Pump. A complete rebuild which is good. The carb was rebuilt but sitting for 27 years did not do it any good. I do believe this is going to make a nice T-Bird down the road.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
55blacktie

Default Re: My T Bird is a 292 bored 40 over I found

Apparently, this is not an uncommon problem, even with carburetors that are not 27 years old. Gasoline can evaporate from fuel bowls, particularly if it's hot, and the gas contains ethanol. For that reason, some owners install a secondary electric fuel pump to feed the carburetor before start-up. Once the engine is running, the electric pump can be turned off. It should also help to install a phenolic carb spacer, if you have the hood clearance. Edelbrock has a heat insulator gasket that's received positive reviews.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

Lol. My 79 GMC K1500 does that and it has a new carb. Bought a new carb when the one on it started doing this. Leave it a couple of days and I have to prime the sucker to get it running. Even changed the fuel pump but made no difference. Never had this problem before so just weird.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
scicala

On the type carburetor on your T-Bird, the only way the carb will go dry that quick is to boil the fuel as in shutting off a hot engine on a hot day, or it just evaporates over a longer time period. As 55blacktie stated above, fuel with ethanol in it boils at a lower temp, and evaporates slightly faster.
It's virtually impossible for the fuel to leak out of the bowl or back feed trough the fuel line. The float valve is above the fuel level in the bowl, and there is no way the all brass power valve can leak fuel like the 3 bolt Holley two barrels.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I believe that the chance of leakage from the bowl is very low. But I learned a long time ago not to say that it can never happen. If something is loose, cracked, or deteriorated then it could be possible.

A lot of cars in the era of the 50s did have heat problems like vapor lock and fuel bowl percolation during the hot months. Some folks use insulator spacers between the carb base and the manifold to aid in keeping the carb a bit cooler.

An electric pump back by the fuel tank can prime the carb if a person wants to go that route.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
paul2748

What does the VIN start with? M is for a 292, P for a 312. 292's usually did not come with an automatic.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
Old Redneck

Once I get the T-Bird started it starts as soon as you turn the key. Its super all day, but sit all night same thing half to crank several times to start. I have a electric fuel pump that I will install when I get the new gas tank. It rusty on the inside. Fixing the problems of this T-Bird with your help means a lot. I wish I could shake your hands and a hug saying thanks. I surely mean that. The Ford Barn is the Best.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
40cpe

With a rusty tank maybe you should carry a spare fuel filter on your tour tomorrow.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
dmsfrr

When changing an original style fuel filter make sure the bowl gasket is centered. They're a bit on the small side and can leave a gap, which lets debris get past it into the carburetor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filter gasket c.jpg (53.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg AC fuel filter housing.jpg (85.8 KB, 1 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
scicala

"I believe that the chance of leakage from the bowl is very low. But I learned a long time ago not to say that it can never happen. If something is loose, cracked, or deteriorated then it could be possible."

I don't know if you've had a Holley 4000 four barrel carb apart before, but in my opinion, for the bowl to actually leak down (not talking about evaporating), it would need to have a crack or porosity in the bowl, or take a hammer and make a crack in the bowl. Porosity would show up when new, and never make it to production.
In the hundreds of these carbs that I have done, I never saw any with porosity enough to leak.
By the number of people today complaining about this type carb leaking down, I would have to say the lack of fuel for a cold start is because of heat, boiling fuel and/or evaporation.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
Old Redneck

I wrote down your phone number and after a few weeks I will be sending this carb. One you get it started it super all day but the next day the same thing crank and crank.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
40 Deluxe

Is the choke working? For a cold start, it should take just one pump of the gas pedal to set the choke and give a squirt of fuel. Just one pump and then take your foot off the pedal. If the choke is set up to factory specs the engine will start and run at fast idle until you tap the pedal. If the choke is not closing and the accelerator pump is weak, cold starts will be hard.
You might also try a few tanks of non-ethanol gas. That's what your T-bird was designed to run on.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: My T Bird is a 292 bored 40 over I found

Quote:
I got all the paperwork on my T-Bird and found when the engine was rebuilt. Its a 292 bored 40 over completely rebuilt.
You are actually better off as the 292 and 312 used the same block casting(s) but the 312 casting main web was weakened by machining protocols. The 292 block is much stronger.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote