Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
David R.

Default 12 volt?

I am new to model A’s. Just wondering, I see a lot of guys convert to 12 volt and was wondering why? Other than powering modern accessories I couldn’t come up with a good reason in my head. Seems like a lot of trouble to fix something that isn’t broke, especially with the good availability of replacement parts for original 6 volt electrical system.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: 12 volt?

David-
I have one car of each voltage. The main advantage of going to 12 volts used to be that you could put brighter bulbs in (especially in the headlights) and they draw half the amps at 12 volts than the same bulb brightness on 6 volts. But now, with these bright LED headlights that hardly draw much current, the 6 volt system can handle it.

Another reason is that 12 volt batteries that will fit, if you are out on the road and need to replace the battery, are much more readily available than 6 volt. But, in 50 years of touring in my Model A, I have never had to replace a battery out on the road.

A GPS or a cell phone will charge on 6 volts. Yes, they will.

Having a 12 volt CB radio or other radio is a reason.

All connections must be very clean and tight on 6 volts to keep things working well, because you don't have any extra volts to work with. 12 volt items draw less current (less voltage loss from less than perfect connection). This is especially true with the starter (lots of amps draw).

Some people will argue for 12 volts so that it is easier to get a jump off of a modern 12 volt car, or from a jumper battery pack. This is true, but seriously, if you have a dead battery, you can probably push start your A in 100 feet or less. There will be enough juice to get a spark. You don't need to jump it.

Hope this helps. I think you are right, no need to convert in many cases.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
I am new to model A’s. Just wondering, I see a lot of guys convert to 12 volt and was wondering why? Other than powering modern accessories I couldn’t come up with a good reason in my head. Seems like a lot of trouble to fix something that isn’t broke, especially with the good availability of replacement parts for original 6 volt electrical system.
I am going to add to what Jim said. If we go back 40 years ago, Model-A generators did not have the quality of replacement parts as we do now. Additionally back then, the cut-outs were not solid state and we constantly had to adjust the charge rate to suit the driving we were doing. Additionally, many of the armatures were junk as they were coming from JC Whitney and like stores and most made in Argentina. Then, wiring on many of the 'restored' cars were not in the best of conditions, -and aftermarket headlight reflectors were junk with incorrect shape and a poor reflective coating.

Someone thought it was cool to mount a Delcotron 10si alternator on their Model-A and add 12v electricals including bulbs, and they would brag about how they had a reliable set-up with brighter lights and never having to set the amperage or worry with stuck cut-outs which ran the battery down. To the unknowing, this all seemed believable. Forty years later, old habits die hard even though facts pretty much counter what was originally touted as the reason to change to 12v.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
Bill G

I once considered a change to 12 volts, but decided not to. I have been a Model A owner for three+ years now. I have not been inconvenienced in any way by 6volt versus not having 12. No issues what so ever.

But, I don't have a CB. I do have a charging circuit that LogoLites sells, so for my phone and other stuff, I am good for charging. I have bright 50/50 stock style headlight that are as bright as any other headlights. I have an alternator 6v positive Ground.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I once considered a change to 12 volts, but decided not to. I have been a Model A owner for three+ years now. I have not been inconvenienced in any way by 6volt versus not having 12. No issues what so ever.

But, I don't have a CB. I do have a charging circuit that LogoLites sells, so for my phone and other stuff, I am good for charging. I have bright 50/50 stock style headlight that are as bright as any other headlights. I have an alternator 6v positive Ground.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I’ve been a Model A owner a little over a year. I don’t have a CB, I have a converter to charge my cell phone, and I have a 6 volt, positive ground alternator. Although I originally entertained the thought of converting to 12 volt, I really don’t see a need now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
MrBruce

David R.
I have run our 1931 S/W Town Sedan for 34 years on 6 volts. Use to run an "inverter" until I ran across the article that you can run a GPS/Phone on six volts, and the other is the lights....I have original "silvered" reflectors and every car coming towards me flashes their lights at me. My cars lights are as good as our 2015 car. It's the same with brakes, if your brakes are restored correctly you can stop on a dime...forgive the pun...no reason for juice brakes also. Just my opinion after driving it for 34 Years!
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
David R.

I could not come up with a good rational reason to convert. Some of my first vehicles were 6 volt, and clean and tight is the rule with lower voltage, or with any electrical system for that matter. Thanks for the input. Driving old 6 volt Jeeps I would always get lights flashed at me. My uncle said it was because the lights were close together they looked brighter.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
johnbuckley

x2 on Jims post #2.. I converted to 12 v 20 years ago, but wouldn't bother now.
PS You can jump start your 6v Model A from a modern 12v car ... it'll whirr the starter motor round faster than you expect and if it doens't start straightaway it's not just a flat battery so don't overdo it!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I changed to twelve volts because I wanted to, not because I felt that I had to . I prefer a more powerful electrical system for brighter lights and faster cranking . The biggest thing is installing a twelve volt battery . My conversion retains the unmodified original generator . The generator charges in amps and doesn't know the difference . I use the Fun Projects twelve volt positive ground voltage regulator . This voltage regulator looks like and takes the place of the cut out . As long as the system remains positive ground , no wires have to be changed . I use a three OHM coil . The original type coil can be used if a resistor is used at the coil connection . I prefer to use the Pertronix twelve volt flame thrower coil for quicker starts and power that can actually be felt . The only electrical accessory that I use is an extra tail light for safety .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
Badpuppy

Purdy is correct, doubling the voltage doubles the power output of the generator. The generator is (conservatively) rated at 12 amps. At 6 volts this equals 72 watts; at 12V it's 144W. When 50CP bulbs are installed, current required can run as high as 20A or more. At 12V it's half that, assuming a 12V coil. (A resistor consumes as much energy as the 6V coil.)

Of course there's the hassle of changing all the components to 12V. The easy out is installing a 6V alternator, as I did.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #11
Jordan

I will never have another 6v car again. My sedan was 6v for the first 15 years my grandpa owned it. His coupe he owned for over 50 years and it was also 6v. When I put AC in the car I was forced to change to 12v (really wasn't forced- it was something I wanted to do regardless) and I have never looked back. All of our cars are now 12v. I never worry about topping off a battery with water, I never worry about cranking amps, I never worry about having a weak ground somewhere. My car is a very nice driver and was restored correctly. But in the 9 years I've had it 12v, I have never had a short, never had dull lights, and only 1 battery change during that time period. My other car came 12v. The other 3 are also 12v and none have ever had an issue. If you don't care about points or originality, there's no reason not to switch.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
JohnB15632

I started my restoration 7 years ago. At that time, there existed only 12 v led lights. I wanted LED lights in the rear to be seen. I also wanted to be able to get home if I were caught out after dark. 6v lights pulled too much juice from the battery. I did not want to be caught dead on the side of the road.
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

When the generator is used on twelve volts there will be less draw on the battery and less strain on the generator . The system will retain the original look .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #14
katy

Quote:
My uncle said it was because the lights were close together they looked brighter.
That's a good one, never heard that before.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
Conaway2

I’ve run a stock 6V system on my Model A for over 50 years. I’ve converted all lighting to LED and added a USB charging port that works on 6 V, and the electrical system handles it all easily, as current draw is no more than 2 amps with headlights on. I also have a Fun Projects EVR installed to avoid overcharging the battery. Best part is, the car retains that unmistakeable sound of a Model A when it cranks over.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I’ve run a stock 6V system on my Model A for over 50 years. I’ve converted all lighting to LED and added a USB charging port that works on 6 V, and the electrical system handles it all easily, as current draw is no more than 2 amps with headlights on. I also have a Fun Projects EVR installed to avoid overcharging the battery. Best part is, the car retains that unmistakeable sound of a Model A when it cranks over.

Jim
My cars are 12v but I fiddle the field windings in the starter so it doesn't turn over so fast the fan would pull the car. When I compare mine to a 6 v car with good battery and clean contacts, there is not much difference.
My brother in law recently bought his first Model A which had been converted to 12 v I don't know how long ago. When I modified his starter, I found that 12 v had given the bendix such a hard time that the key was nearly broken, the keyway was not much more than a depression in the shaft and things were in a bad way in there. Fortunately, I had another armature for him. I put it all down to the way a 6 v starter running on 12 v engages the ring gear so violently. I've heard people say things will be fine - and they will be but only for a while. If you convert to 12 v, IMO, you MUST modify the starter if you want it to last.