Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Hydraulic Brake Line Connectors?

I'm replacing the brake lines on my '40. Replacing the three brass connectors is more than $50 here in Taxifornia. My '41 price list has them at $.20 each. The connector bolts, clips and brake light switch to make it a clean sweep would be another $20. Since this car is a budgeted project, I wonder if cleaning up selected parts would work or is a leak guaranteed? What Say: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: Hydraulic Brake Line Connectors?

I used the original connectors, no problem as long as they are in good shape.
The originals are better than the new ones. Use new copper washers.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Almost all of the original brass connectors should be able to be reused - as long as they are not damaged in the sealing surfaces. I usually just wire brush them on the bench grinder, check the threads and flared surface sealing surfaces and am good to go. As Bill noted, replace all the copper gaskets related to the flex lines.

On the brake lines, I buy 25' NiCop line material in bulk from Jegs/Summit and use my double-flare tools to put the correct flares in the lines. Sometimes I will buy pre-built NiCop lines (with the ends on them), then cut and flare them for shorter lengths.

RockAuto probably has all the flex lines you'll need - usually at more than fair prices.

Good luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Fred A

Thanks for the comments. Sometimes parts can be single use and unsafe beyond. I can see that these men are just who would know. I worked at an aircraft fastener shop in Burbank and my first '40 had nearly everything replaced. Now in an attempt to go authentic, I compromise by painting most of my original fasteners black after chemical prep. Cadmium plating would be better but I'm not that well organized. Roger on the copper seals. I see that there are two sizes. Since I have many connecters to work with, I may try Evapo-Rust after a careful mechanical cleanup. Thanks Again: Fred A
Old 09-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Another trick that works well on original fasteners is satin black ceramic coatings. I buy them from Cerakote. I prefer their products that are baked on (just use an oven or clean BBQ).

Everything must be super clean and in order to have great adhesion, you need to garnet/sand blast them and clean with acetone. Then you bake the parts first to remove any potential oil - only handling them with clean gloves. Then I mix and spray 2 - 3 thin coats and let them dry. Once try, I bake them in a BBQ or the over (I recommend the BBQ or you may lose your wife if you have one!).

Once applied, this stuff lasts, is impervious to water/weather and looks dang close to the original Ford black oxide type finish (which doesn't last at all). I've tried it on a variety of fasteners, including the shock arms on 32 shocks (just to see how it holds up).

You can buy a "sample" kit that will actually do a LOT of fasteners. I also use a satin nickel type version on carb bodies and then satin black on the bases and linkages - gas doesn't hurt it, it doesn't rust like most carb bases do, etc..
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #6
rich b

I've also found that the new copper washers available now-a-days are too hard and need to be annealed before use.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

To take it over the top, I polish old ones with Brasso and the clean with brake clean before installing. They look as new when done.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Desoto291Hemi

Fred,
Always remember on these old Flathead fords,,,,,,almost,nothing is use one time and it’s done for .
Most of these old parts will be around when we are gone,,,,,,they are already 80 years old .
And a lot of old parts are better quality than new .

Yes,,,,some are destroyed,,,but some people just assume new is better than old and replace everything they can find .

And,,,,if some part you have is beyond repair,,,,the odds are good someone here knows of a supplier or a person that has an excellent replacement part on hand .
These guys here know .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Fred A

Default Rethinking NAPA

Called the venerable NAPA today to order rebuilt master cylinder for my '40. The wakeup moment when the little girl asked "What Body Style?" My passenger car answer didn't help. It went sideways from there. After a long computer pause they have it in stock. I ran through the specifics just to confirm the positive. When I got to the store they had selected a dual cylinder. What I really need is the right NAPA part number. That old and largely obsolete NAPA part number list we used years ago might have helped shorten the conversation.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #10
rich b

Try these numbers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (129) (Medium).jpg (45.5 KB, 39 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote