Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Rudolph

Default dennis carpenter water pumps

I splashed out a little wile ago and got some dennis carpenter water pumps from a shop near me, they did about 200 miles before becoming loose in the bearings, the guy who ran the shop suddenly died,

Are they notoriously bad? I will be putting my old pumps back on witch are made in good old America (Colombia)
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
oldredford

Default Re: dennis carpenter water pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I splashed out a little wile ago and got some dennis carpenter water pumps from a shop near me, they did about 200 miles before becoming loose in the bearings, the guy who ran the shop suddenly died,

Are they notoriously bad? I will be putting my old pumps back on witch are made in good old America (Colombia)
Half the stuff Carpenter industries sells comes from China.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
KiWinUS

Rudolf should you need rebuild water pumps. Have some originals rebuilt by Skip Haney over here. Has his own design impellers & second to none workmanship. Get a rebuilt coil from him also. Don’t send your stuff up here & pay that crazy shipping. Get some from here & have them shipped straight to Skip. I can possibly from help with cores & shipping from here to NZ. Let me know if I can help.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
supereal

The common cause of wear to the bushings of the water pumps is over tightening the belt.
The old Fords used belts with an unusual cross section that grips the sides of the pulleys without excessive belt tension. They are available a good vendors such as C&G. Their order number is 800/266-0470. Most of their belts are about $20. The best source for pump repairs is Skip Haney. We always use him at our shop. He can be reached at
941-505-9085 or 941-637-6698. Excellent work at a fair price. We should note of the passing of Dennis Carpenter. His company was excellent in quality and service. He was a pillar of support for our hobby, being it an old Ford or a Cushman scooter, his favorite.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Rudolph

SVkiwi put some ceramic seals in some pumps for me, I used them for a bit and the bushes didn’t have any detectable wear after more use than the Chinese pumps, but one started leaking for some reason.

I am using industrial V belts, I found they can be run super loose and still grip the pulleys
Old 06-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
supereal

I should add to my message above that is is vital, when replacing water pumps, to clear the oil passage from the valve chamber to the water pump. It is a small hole in the block that matches one on the rear face of the pump. This is a gravity feed of oil to the pump shafts. Be sure the new gasket doesn't obscure the hole. The passages can be checked and cleared with a wire inserted into the passages. Without the oiling, the pump shafts can be damaged, as described in the original post.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #7
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
I should add to my message above that is is vital, when replacing water pumps, to clear the oil passage from the valve chamber to the water pump. It is a small hole in the block that matches one on the rear face of the pump. This is a gravity feed of oil to the pump shafts. Be sure the new gasket doesn't obscure the hole. The passages can be checked and cleared with a wire inserted into the passages. Without the oiling, the pump shafts can be damaged, as described in the original post.
Yes I understand about the oil hole, my pumps have oil coming out of the slit behind the pulleys, the modern sealed bearing pumps don’t have an oil hole at all