Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
luvmyclassics

Default 3 point seat belts

I am planning on using the original seat bench and would like to install 3 point seat belts on my 51 F1.

My concern is properly installing a shoulder strap mount on the cab.

Looks like there are a few different mounts that are being manufactured for this.

Any recommendations? I would prefer not to get involved with welding the mount if possible.
luvmyclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: 3 point seat belts

This is not an F1, but a Chevy of similar vintage. Maybe it will be some help?

http://www.julianos.com/Articles.asp?ID=277
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Second the Julianos. Give them a call.
Got'em in my Merc. and they are installed virtually the same way.
Afraid that you may have to do some welding unless you can figure out a suitable way to mount them.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Floyd

I third the above answers. Go straight to Julianos for the belt set up and accept the fact you will need some welding. You will be very happy when it is done.
My 40 PU has this set up, the reel assembly fits perfect down in the cab corner.
My opinion (and others).
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Dick

I got a kit for my F-1 and it was easy to install. There are braces above and below the rear window that span the width of the cab. It required welding a piece between the braces. Cab modification was not required. Picture of similar setup in Mid-Fifties catalog for '53 pickup. Here is a picture of one installed. You can see the brace under the window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1978.JPG (125.1 KB, 86 views)
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Most shoulder restraints require further bracing than just one thickness of light gauge sheet metal so welding is likely a necessary thing there. I would change the Julianos procedure to fit what ever I had. I don't use MIG either. I just use oxy/acetylene and gas weld it. This isn't something a person want to do after the cab or body paint work is done if it affects the finish. Many times blind fasteners can be used but they have to be good quality aircraft type stuff to take the possible G-forces in an actual crash and they could only be used in double wall panels that have enough gap in between the panels for them to pull correctly. Nobody want stuff to show somewhere it shouldn't
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Floyd

Here is a pic of my 40 with the already mentioned Julianos seat belt setup. The upper bracket is welded in before painting. It is hard to see ,but it is visible on the passenger side. It is at the level of the upper rubber bumper. Makes a very neat installation since the reel drops into the cab corner and has options to secure it. I recommend the hardware kit from Jullianos as the backing plates are way better than the crummy washers from the cheap guys. Or you can make them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatbelts.JPG (73.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Here is a pic of my 40 with the already mentioned Julianos seat belt setup. The upper bracket is welded in before painting. It is hard to see ,but it is visible on the passenger side. It is at the level of the upper rubber bumper. Makes a very neat installation since the reel drops into the cab corner and has options to secure it. I recommend the hardware kit from Jullianos as the backing plates are way better than the crummy washers from the cheap guys. Or you can make them.
Ah yes, nothing illustrates a seat belt installation better than seeing a pile of belts on the floor
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I third the above answers. Go straight to Julianos for the belt set up and accept the fact you will need some welding. You will be very happy when it is done.
My 40 PU has this set up, the reel assembly fits perfect down in the cab corner.
My opinion (and others).
I agree!

FYI: Sit in the truck to locate the upper mount so the shoulder belt fits you as best it can. Too low and it will catch you in the neck. Too high and it may not hold you as well when you need it most. I don't know about your truck but in the older ones the door post is close to the seat back. This puts the belt mount a little more forward than I think is optimal but its way better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottom side seatbelt mount.jpg (49.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg top seatbelt mount.jpg (37.3 KB, 46 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Floyd

Actually the reason for the picture is to show that the big bulky reel is nowhere to be seen, even with the seat removed.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #11
miwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I got a kit for my F-1 and it was easy to install. There are braces above and below the rear window that span the width of the cab. It required welding a piece between the braces. Cab modification was not required. Picture of similar setup in Mid-Fifties catalog for '53 pickup. Here is a picture of one installed. You can see the brace under the window.
Mid-Fifty offer a kit for '48-50 F1 with small rear window for the '51 /'52 with large rear window a kit is annouced sind a year. I'm still waiting for it
miwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #12
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwi View Post
Mid-Fifty offer a kit for '48-50 F1 with small rear window for the '51 /'52 with large rear window a kit is annouced sind a year. I'm still waiting for it
I bought the 48-50 kit and trimmed it to fit. Worked fine.
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote