Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 AM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default '55 car rust repair Part 5: Left side inner & outer rocker pnls

On the left side of the car, I found that it was necessary to cutoff the entire outer rocker panel from top to bottom and from about the front of the back door all the way to the back. The rear section of the inner rocker had to be cutoff about halfway down leaving only a little section left at the very back. A portion of the end of the floor brace connecting to the inner rocker was also shot and had to be cut off. The pic below shows portions of inner and outer rocker cut off and a new piece of metal with 1/8 inch bent over to replace the missing inner rocker end corner piece fitted in place.
Lrockercut.JPG
To patch the inner rocker in this area, I cut out a flat piece of metal from my 18gage stock to fit from top of the inner rocker panel (at the bend under the floor) down to the bottom adding the 1/4 inch for the little 90 degree bend inward for the bottom weld to duplicate the original design. The pic below shows the finished inner rocker patch welded in place, sealed at the seams and finish painted.
pnt-lrckr2.JPG
There was also a large section of the inner rocker under the front door that had to be cut out and replaced. The pic below shows the finished inner rocker patch welded in place, sealed at the seams and finish painted.
pnt-lrckr1.JPG
For the outer rocker panel, again I cut out from a flat sheet. The bends were accomplished using my angle iron, vice and wood bending technique (as described in the introduction). I was careful not to make the bottom bend too "hard" as I wanted to duplicate the radius of the original section of rocker that it needed to mate with. It turned out okay. At the top of the panel, I used a pneumatic flanging tool to bend the top 1/2 inch inward so that it would slip underneath the existing metal at the cut line. In order to hold the panel at the top, I first needed to cut and bend some little angle "tabs" and weld them to the bottom of the doorsill so that the new rocker would be sandwiched in between them and metal at the cutline. In this way, the outer surface of the new panel would be flush with the existing metal at the top. The pic below shows how it ended up looking when finished.
pnt-Loutrckr.JPG
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote