Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #61
KULTULZ

Post Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post

Wanted: 1 driver quality set of ( 4 ) '60 dog dish hubcaps. PM with info.
Check EvilBay- C0AA 1130-C

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #62
raceron1120

Default Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
Wanted: 1 driver quality set of ( 4 ) '60 dog dish hubcaps. PM with info.
I might have 3 or 4, definitely driver quality. Will see if I can find them, will bring them over next week if I do.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #63
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Again... ... a statement such as this is IMO.

To have a correctly assembled car, the Casting ID Nos (assembly parts not service parts), Date Code And foundry code must be correct or it (FORD-LINC-MERC) is not a NUMBERS CORRECT CAR. It must also match the build sheet if one is available or the owner may be hiding it.

Take for just an example, a 61 FORD 390 4V 375HP that came through with the Tri-Power in the trunk for dealer assy. Both engines (375 4V or 401HP 6V) will have the same engine code). The seller would need a factory build sheet to claim the car was a true 3X2 401HP.

ADDED INFO-

Here is one example of determining a MATCHING NUMBERS car-

http://www.vtohtx.com/M_Code_3_page_Fact_Sheet__v2_.pdf

True but also Ford ran batches of intakes, heads ect You could very easi;y have parts with date codes 2-3 months older than the build date of the car I did read that whole article, very interest but nothing really on numbers matching Maybe you could clue me in on what numbers are supposed to match

Last edited by willowbilly3; 04-06-2018 at 08:18 AM.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #64
Motorhead6

Purist collectors WILL INDEED demand correct date codes and casting numbers on certain rare Fords. Also, there are certain numbers stamped into high performance blocks, for example, that identify them as such. A friend showed me this recently on a Super Cobra Jet block which allowed the potential buyer to identify it as "the one" he had when new. I agree that some GM models can have matching serial numbers such as the same as the VIN on some components, but I think most do not; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think I'm right that not very many GM models can claim this other than that, like Ford and MoPar, certain components can be identified to correct models but not a specific car or truck.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #65
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post

True but also Ford ran batches of intakes, heads ect You could very easi;y have parts with date codes 2-3 months older than the build date of the car I did read that whole article, very interest but nothing really on numbers matching

Maybe you could clue me in on what numbers are supposed to match
You mean before vehicle assembly date, correct?

You will also have an engine (or any other component) assembly date. Much will depend on the actual vehicle assembly plant.

Let me go a little farther and hope it doesn't add to the confusion.

ENGINEERING PART NUMBERS- There is actually more than one. What you see stamped/cast onto the part identifies the base part. There is another PN assigned for differing machining protocol and/or assembly and yet another if the part is included in an assembly, say intake manifold with all attaching parts ready for complete engine assembly.

One example is the ECZ-B 4V intake that has a vacuum provision on the front runner.

As for GM numbers matching, I would a$$-u-me that they are much like FORD, casting/stamping ID NOS and these would be converted to actual Service PN's. If you mean VIN ID on the actual part(s), all manufacturers were required to ID major components beginning in 1968.

The greatest example(s) of non number matching cars to me is the Resto-Mods you see in auction houses not being what they claim to be and bringing in big bucks. It is like flipping houses with poor quality workmanship and materials. The owner will not be aware of it until years afterwards.

I don't know how to explain it more exactly than what I have. Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post

Purist collectors WILL INDEED demand correct date codes and casting numbers on certain rare Fords. Also, there are certain numbers stamped into high performance blocks, for example, that identify them as such. A friend showed me this recently on a Super Cobra Jet block which allowed the potential buyer to identify it as "the one" he had when new. I agree that some GM models can have matching serial numbers such as the same as the VIN on some components, but I think most do not; I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think I'm right that not very many GM models can claim this other than that, like Ford and MoPar, certain components can be identified to correct models but not a specific car or truck.
THANX!

I need all the help I can get...

Also note that Service Replacement Parts will not normally be the same a assembly parts. This really shows on HP engine assemblies.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #66
Kahuna

Thought I'd relate a story of one of those 1961 Fords.
In 1961, I was home in Hawaii, after my first year of college.
I grew up there as my Dad had taken a job at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard at the end of 1945.
A guy I knew from hi school had been given a new 1960 Corvette upon graduation. He stopped by my house to find out where a girl lived. I told him I could show him & off we went. Her name was Charlotte & her Dad was the service manager for the Ford dealership in Honolulu.
When we got to her house, her Dad was working on a ski boat & told us Charlotte wasn't home. We chatted with him about the boat & he said he had to leave to go to the Hardware store for something. We all left at the same time. He was driving the most Plain-Jane ugly 1961 Ford 2 door sedan. It was the cheapest,least attractive car to us.
3 speed, column shifted POS. At the first stoplight, Jimmie (with the Corvette), was really giving Charlotte's Dad a bad time about what a crappy car he had and how fast his Corvette was. I mean, a Corvette with a 4 speed, etc.
When the light changed we left that big ugly Ford in the dust- until about halfway thru 2nd gear in the Corvette, that Ford was just shifting into 2nd & went by us and just walked away.
He had the 401 HP engine.
Was a bad day for us kids
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #67
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

Thanks. Great story!
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #68
butch1928

The 1961 401 starliner is one of the nicest ford's ever built. It could do low 13"s in the quarter mile if tuned right . I had many in my friends ,it was a great car. I went with him to the dealer the day he ordered it. The performance package came in the trunk and was installed by the dealer.
butch1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #69
butch1928

I forgot the word (rides) after many in second sentence in above post
butch1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #70
mercman from oz

If you want to looks at 1961 Ford Starliners, check out this Post. Mercman <><

1961 Fords - Where have they all gone

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=1961+ford
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #71
Peyton

Remember travelling along the Gulf Coast to a New Orleans college bowl game in '66 with three of us sitting up front in a beautiful '60 Sunliner convertible. To me, the '60 Ford is one of the old car greats!

The car was unique in that it was powered by a 260 CI and was slow but, oh, did it get attention!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #72
mercman from oz

This beauty, a 1960 Ford Starliner has been imported into Australia and is listed for sale for $49,900 in Victoria.

Last edited by mercman from oz; 04-08-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #73
mercman from oz

A new member from North Carolina just added this photo of a very neat 1960 Ford Sunliner.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #74
A bones

Too young to care, I left a ten year old '60 Sunliner slip through my fingers. Got it for free, passed it on for the same. One of the few times I heard my father express his wrath.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #75
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
Remember travelling along the Gulf Coast to a New Orleans college bowl game in '66 with three of us sitting up front in a beautiful '60 Sunliner convertible. To me, the '60 Ford is one of the old car greats!

The car was unique in that it was powered by a 260 CI and was slow but, oh, did it get attention!

A 260? It would have had a 292 or 352 originally. Why would someone swap in a smaller engine that would not fit the mounts, the bellhousing, the exhaust, the wiring, etc., etc.,?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #76
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
A 260? It would have had a 292 or 352 originally. Why would someone swap in a smaller engine that would not fit the mounts, the bellhousing, the exhaust, the wiring, etc., etc.,?

I was thinking the exact same thing. A lot of work and fabrication to go slower. The only part I agree with is that it was slow.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #77
KULTULZ

Could have been a 223 ...

I worked with a painter in one dealer that had a beautiful 61 STAR. He popped the hood one day and it had a 292. Sorta like getting married and going on the honeymoon and finding out she is frigid ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #78
Herman Munster

Quote:

I worked with a painter in one dealer that had a beautiful 61 STAR. He popped the hood one day and it had a 292. Sorta like getting married and going on the honeymoon and finding out she is frigid ...

Yep, a Starliner could be had with a 223 in both 60 and 61.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:25 AM   #79
KULTULZ

Wink Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

- NOT TOO TACKY -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 METEOR Momcalm HDTP _2.jpg (35.2 KB, 212 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-27-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: ADD REAR BODY PANEL/LAMPS PHOTO
Old 05-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #80
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post

Yep, a Starliner could be had with a 223 in both 60 and 61.
Must have been a preacher's car-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 FORD 223CI.jpg (77.1 KB, 24 views)

- DISCLAIMER -