Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
sphooch

Default Radiator muck ????

HI guys: after a short 5 mile drive I checked the water in the radiator . It had a lot of brown muck built up, it comes back sometimes. I had the radiator cleaned out at a shop, I cleaned out the engine best I could when I had it all apart, then just last summer I reversed flushed the engine and radiator but it keeps coming back. I keep a anti freeze mix of 25% antifreeze and 75% water and she stays in a heated garage ALL WINTER LONG. HAVE ANY CLUES AS TO WHY THIS KEEPS Happening ?? is this a normal condition in these cars?? thanks for any suggestions THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Radiator muck ????

You aren't getting it clean. Backflush it again thoroughly then install a filter in the top radiator hose. You DON'T want that crud in your cooling system. Keep an eye on the filter, will need to be cleaned often for a while.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Model A Fan

Have you considered leaving the motor and radiator "dry" during the winter? The high water content of your coolant may be causing excess buildup of rust inside the block? Something didn't get fully cleaned is another possibility.
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Some of this you perhaps already know. Try running water/Arm and Hammer Baking soda or Dawn for a few miles.

Then thoroughly Backflush and Flush. Could have a build up of grease.

Perhaps over greasing the Water Pump? Only use a partial pump of grease, especially on the block side of the Water Pump.

Have you always used the same type of antifreeze, can not mix types. Typically the green stuff is recommended. Mixing antifreeze types can cause a reaction that clogs things up. If you have been mixing types do the Baking Soda/ water or Dawn and then a through backflush/flush. Repeat a couple of times.

Are you using distilled water or tap? - use distilled.

Also what post 3 says, may have to do treatments of Rust 911, thermocure, etc if you have rust buildup in radiator/block - is fairly common when using water instead of 50/50 antifreeze.

Use a filter, many use the Gano Filter in the upper radiator hose.

Last edited by 30 Closed Cab PU; 03-26-2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added info
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
Have you considered leaving the motor and radiator "dry" during the winter? The high water content of your coolant may be causing excess buildup of rust inside the block? Something didn't get fully cleaned is another possibility.

Not sure, possibility of rust if left dry, humidity in the air, similar to flash rust?

I prefer a 50/50 mix, or pure antifreeze. You can always drain it back into the containers in the spring and use it multiple storage seasons.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Model A Fan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Not sure, possibility of rust if left dry, humidity in the air, similar to flash rust?

I prefer a 50/50 mix, or pure antifreeze. You can always drain it back into the containers in the spring and use it multiple storage seasons.
Over time, antifreeze will also break down into an acid I believe. It will eat away at the metal inside the engine and water pump impeller. It doesn't sound like this is old antifreeze, so that is not likely the problem however. I would recommend doing something to treat the water jackets to a rust inhibitor or some sort of coating that would prevent the rust from forming. Is there an epoxy coating that could be introduced that is thin enough to flow but thick enough to adhere to the inside of the water jackets and channels in the head and block?
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
d.

my Gano filter is stained and hard to see into.
What is a good way to clean it so it is clear?
thank you
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Fan View Post
Over time, antifreeze will also break down into an acid I believe. It will eat away at the metal inside the engine and water pump impeller. It doesn't sound like this is old antifreeze, so that is not likely the problem however. I would recommend doing something to treat the water jackets to a rust inhibitor or some sort of coating that would prevent the rust from forming. Is there an epoxy coating that could be introduced that is thin enough to flow but thick enough to adhere to the inside of the water jackets and channels in the head and block?

I could be wrong, but in the past read that antifreeze itself does not break down, but the additives wear out and cause the problems/acidity.

If simply using it for storage, it should last for 3 or more years.

Personally I leave it in full time and every second year add a bottle of antifreeze additive to restore the additives content. At the end of the 4th year I change the antifreeze. But mine runs very clear, no discoloration from the green to brown/black since I had the motor rebuilt and put on a new Bergs radiator - cooling system is free of rust/scale.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
1crosscut

Could be too much grease going into the rear fitting of the water pump. It takes very little at that point. About a quarter pump or less.

Personally I would drain it, put in a gallon of Simple green along with a couple gallons of water and run it till it is good and warm and keep it there for a while. You can block some of the radiator with cardboard to bring it up to around 190. Use a meat thermometer in the neck of the radiator to keep track of the temperature.
Drain it and flush it after it has cooled.

Fill it with 50/50 distilled water and antifreeze. The 75/25 mixture your using is not a good mixture. IMO
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
JD 1931

Grease from water pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
sphooch

good suggestion with the filter , but I have never seen a filter in the top radiator hose . maybe you can post a pic. or explain it a little . sure would try it. thanks
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
1930artdeco

I put a GANO filter in my car's upper rad hose to catch anything after a good cleaning. Take the hose, cut out about 1/2" or so (if I remember right), install the top half, clamp, install the filter, clamp, and then the bottom half and clamp. That way you can see what has built up in the filter and when to change it. Do that until it is generally clean all of the time and you can replace the upper hose with a complete one and then just stuff the filter inside. Check one a year or so and you should be good to go.

Mike
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #13
fastroadster

This spring, drain the system and refill with 4oz of soluble oil and water run it for a month, drain system put in two gallons of antifreeze rest water. Just a old radiator mans advice...
fastroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #14
30 Closed Cab PU

Gano Info
https://ganofilters.com/#

Most use the clear plastic version.
Do not overtighen the hose clamps on the plastic and remove filter when flushing and/or backflushing, there were reports of the plastic cracking and this was the advice given.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

If using premix - pour in the premix antifreeze, is already mixed to 50/50 antifreeze. Use the green stuff. If concentrated Antifreeze - 50% antifreeze/50% distilled water. Getting harder to find concentrated antifreeze, but is cheaper to mix your own.