Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Britcheflee

Default Overdrive fixed!!!

I think my days of crawling around under a car trying to get a heavy gearbox in and out are over - my body is aching - either that or I need to invest in a car lift.
Just went for a drive and finally have the OD working - it did take a bit to work out what was going on - get up to speed, release the gas, feel the slight bump and then accelerate away again - allowing you to get up to at least 50 in second. The kickdown works fine and overall its a pleasure to drive now.
The issue was the rail was tweaked - from what I understand the pin which held the overdrive engage/disengage lever had rusted away allowing that to move? Anyway the spring was scrunched up and the rail a little bent. Eventually got the spring from van pelts (very helpful guy there) and a kind member is sending me the correct retaining pin for the lever - just have a temporary pin in there at the moment.
Not something I would like to rush out and do again. Putting two bolts with the heads cut off as guides on the belhousing for the transmission to line up was extremely helpful but still a lot of huffing and puffing and shoving and lifting to get it just right so it popped in.
Thanks for comments and advice.
Britcheflee is offline   Reply With Quote