Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Sutton Speed

Default A 1936 Ford Coupe garage find 15 years in the making…

15 years ago I was driving down the street where I grew up and caught a glimpse of a Ford wide 5 wheel and bias ply tire under a garage door that was cracked open a few feet. Later that day I stopped to inquire about the car and the owner told me it wasn't for sale. I was shocked that the '36 Ford 5 window coupe had been tucked away in that same garage, literally 500 feet from where I grew up, since I was 5 years old. The garage was never really opened so I literally passed by thousands of times without even knowing what was hiding right down the street.

Over the last 15 years I've stopped by every now and again when I would go home to visit my parents to chat with George the owner and let him know I was still interested if he ever decided to sell the car. I hadn’t been over in the last 4 years or so but a few months’ back I stopped by to say hi and George had a different tone about the car. He said he had been thinking about me the last few months and had remembered my passion for old cars and told me how much he appreciated me stopping by to say hi over the years. When I left he asked for my number and said he was thinking he's finally about ready to part with the old coupe.

Last Thursday, I decided to give George a call to check in and after chatting for a while, he told me to come on by and we could talk more about it. I showed up early last Friday morning at George’s place and we made a deal. The ’36 Ford 5 window coupe I’ve been dreaming of owning for the last 15+ years is finally mine! Could not be more stoked!!

So after digging the car out of the garage, George pulls out an old tow bar that he received with the car when he purchased it back in 1975 and we flat towed it up the street to my dad’s house. The coolest thing about the car is the fact that George had basically collected 3 of everything for the car over the years. 3 ’36 flathead motors, 3 sets of fenders, 3 grille shells… The amount of extra parts is almost overwhelming! I still have boxes of parts to sort through so watch for some extra ’36 Ford parts in the classifieds here shortly! J

Plans for the car are still coming together but can’t be more excited to get this car on the road after almost 50 years of sitting in a garage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9n720dSwB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yON-ckOlXWU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.7 KB, 447 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.1 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.jpg (45.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1792.jpg (89.5 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (81.4 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (54.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (47.0 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (36.2 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (57.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (77.8 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (86.2 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (106.3 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (59.9 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (79.9 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (86.4 KB, 416 views)
Sutton Speed is offline   Reply With Quote