Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Russ B

Default 68A seat base

I am almost done with building a new seat base frame for my Aug. '29 Cabriolet (no glue, no screws yet). I mostly built it using dimensions measured or extrapolated from my original seat frame.

I do not know about all the other cabriolet fixed seat bases; but what is interesting to me is that mine was built as two separate assemblies. The upper base is to mount the spring assembly; and the lower base assembly sits directly on the seat riser, and the finish layer of fabric is attached to this lower assembly. The two assemblies are screwed together as can be seen below, 4 screws per side.

The stacked assemblies with original seat base spring are shown below

As can be seen, the spring mount assembly is a couple inches shorter front to rear than the lower base; but the back corners of each line up pretty well at the back edge.

...and the new spring base. I duplicated two 1" holes found at the front, but have no real knowledge as to their purpose. My guess is they would be for jigging up the base and spring assemblies during its original construction. My old spring assembly has a front to rear slot that lines up with the holes. Two additional holes were originally drilled part way through this cross piece near the center of the board, on its upper side.

...and the new seat riser assembly.

the bottom outer edge of each was routed down about 1/16" by about 3/4" + wide. I am guessing the upper, spring mount assembly was partially upholstered after the spring was attached, but without the finish layer of fabric. There is some fabric left between the two wood assemblies on my original, but scraps of the original grey check fabric are attached to the bottom wood assembly's routed edge.

the two assemblies stacked, upside down.

I would welcome any comments on how you think the seat base was originally covered. While I am not doing a real restoration, I am always interested in how everything was originally assembled. Fellow Ford Barner - Eystein helped with photos and dimensions of other cabriolet seat bases and he is currently building a seat base for his cabriolet. It was not evident if other cabriolets originally had this two assembly manner of seat base construction.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote