Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2017, 03:04 AM   #1
denniskliesen

Default Timeline of paint

I'm trying to understand first of all how many final assembly plants Ford had from mid 1928 to mid 1929. I haven't been able to find the stamp on my crossmember that would indicate where it was built. Could it have been possible they used some 1928 colors into early 1929 until they ran out.

The reason I am asking is that my 29 Tudor has a date stamp on the tank 1/21/29 and none of the colors from early 1929 listed in the Restoration Guidelines match what I believe is a color that was used in late 1928. I have seen in person all 4 colors that were according to the Restoration Guidelines for early 1929 model 55-A Tudor.

I don't plan on ever having my car judged, but I like the original color that it was painted from the evidence I have been able to find. Some people have told me it could be faded, but if it was covered by a rear seat or behind the interior cowl panel, numerous other places on the interior part of the car how then could it have faded?

The pictures here look very close to how they look on both my phone and computer monitor, even my printer prints pictures that match closely to the color what I believe is a 1928 color.

So what color is this?

denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Timeline of paint

I'm wondering why the door is darker than the cowl, and why is the gas tank black?

Your car sure looks to be in great original condition as far as rust goes. Don't often see them so nice under the rear seat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
denniskliesen

Tom, It has been repainted in the past. Currently it has 63 license plates and I'm thinking that it might have been done around that time period. They painted the dash, inside firewall, garnish moldings all black. Some of which I can take masking tape and lift the black off.

Yes it is pretty much rust free, the worst is where mice chewed up all the old registrations from years past and made a nest under the rear seat only. Everywhere else no rust where you would expect to see it if there was any. That rear seat picture might have a little more blue to it from the light when it was taken. All of the floor boards are original solid and nice and straight, not warped. It had been sitting in a carport since 1980. Everybody that I show it to and tell them the stamped date seem to be stumped on the color. I saw a Vagabond Green and a Bonnie Gray at the Orange County Model A Club pancake breakfast this year, it is neither of those colors that would have been for early 1929.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 04-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

"I'm trying to understand first of all how many final assembly plants Ford had from mid 1928 to mid 1929. I haven't been able to find the stamp on my crossmember that would indicate where it was built. Could it have been possible they used some 1928 colors into early 1929 until they ran out."

That's exact what I've seen listed on a couple dealer invoices. The dealer wrote in the color, so I wasn't sure if he didn't know what to call the color, or if it was a 1928 color used into 1929.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
mrwarm

hope you find out what the color is because my 29 sport coupe is the same color and I cant match it either
mrwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
denniskliesen

Well I'm beginning to think it might be Gunmetal Blue. I did a search and from the description of others on that color it seems to describe it quite well. I need to find a color chip book I guess. I'm going to the club meeting Thursday night so I'll ask around.

So on another color question regarding garnish molding, I found enough evidence they were the light gray color. Was this a color used in late 28 Tudor?

I found a short piece of windlace about 2' long in the bottom of panel below rear side window that looks like it could have been original scrap. Hard to tell the color though. All of the cardboard panels inside of the body panels and doors were still in place warped and fallen down lost the adhesion to the panel. Each and every piece I thought to be original I have removed has been saved and in boxes. Close to a 1,000 pictures taken of this car while working on it. I don't have them all loaded on photo bucket but most are. If anybody is interested I can post the link for those who have the time to wade through.

Last edited by denniskliesen; 04-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarm View Post
hope you find out what the color is because my 29 sport coupe is the same color and I cant match it either
Do you have a date stamp on the front lower left of your gas tank?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Well I'm beginning to think it might be Gunmetal Blue. I did a search and from the description of others on that color it seems to describe it quite well. I need to find a color chip book I guess. I'm going to the club meeting Thursday night so I'll ask around.
You can't go by the names of the colors in a printed table to fully understand the subtleties of the actual color. You need to look at the color chips in the Paint & Finish Guide to see what each name really looks like.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
mrwarm

it looks like 12-18-28 hard to see
mrwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
You can't go by the names of the colors in a printed table to fully understand the subtleties of the actual color. You need to look at the color chips in the Paint & Finish Guide to see what each name really looks like.

Thanks Jim. I edited one of my posting above about the Paint and Finish Guide. I had seen a copy of the guide in the past over 2 months ago, but didn't pay attention to the 1928 colors for 55-A. I might break down and buy a copy.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
denniskliesen

mrwarm, you are definately in the timeframe I think

Jim/TX/GA, what about carryover of paint where there was a break in the model year or when the car was built. Was or is this possible?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
redmodelt

The date on the gas tank has less to do with build date and more to do when the gas tank past inspection.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
aermotor

Not sure anyone is interested but my black late 28 Tudor had the greenish paint under the rear seat and the cross member under the front seat. Nowhere on the body inside or out had any indication of repaint over the original paint. I am wondering if the body was painted off the frame and they got mixed up before final assembly.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #14
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The date on the gas tank has less to do with build date and more to do when the gas tank past inspection.
Correct on the inspection. Tells me could not have been built in 28. Question is why is the body color not consistant to the 29 colors.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Not sure anyone is interested but my black late 28 Tudor had the greenish paint under the rear seat and the cross member under the front seat. Nowhere on the body inside or out had any indication of repaint over the original paint. I am wondering if the body was painted off the frame and they got mixed up before final assembly.

John
John,

The Restoration Guidelines for late 28 Tudor upper and lower body colors were Niagra Blue, Light. Arabian Sand,Dark. Dawn Gray, Dark. Niagra Blue, Dark. Gunmetal Blue.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #16
jb-ob

Dennis,

I believe you need to loosen your grip on the Judging Standards.

Your assessment that your car was originally painted Gunmetal Blue visually is correct.

Your second assessment was it was painted Gunmetal Blue to "use up paint" from inventory is very possibly correct also.

These loose interpretations of the Judging Standards are covered by the '60 day rule'.

Every car has a 'story' .... yours has a great 'story' about it's color from the factory !

Drive it & enjoy, JB
jb-ob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #17
denniskliesen

Thanks JB I didn't know anything about the 60 day rule.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #18
pgerhardt

Quote:

So on another color question regarding garnish molding, I found enough evidence they were the light gray color. Was this a color used in late 28 Tudor?

I found a short piece of windlace about 2' long in the bottom of panel below rear side window that looks like it could have been original scrap. Hard to tell the color though. All of the cardboard panels inside of the body panels and doors were still in place warped and fallen down lost the adhesion to the panel. Each and every piece I thought to be original I have removed has been saved and in boxes. Close to a 1,000 pictures taken of this car while working on it. I don't have them all loaded on photo bucket but most are. If anybody is interested I can post the link for those who have the time to wade through.
Gunmetal Blue looks a little dark for your color here are the color chips:
Maybe Niagara Blue Light? a 28 color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 6.14.10 PM.jpg (27.8 KB, 59 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #19
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Gunmetal Blue looks a little dark for your color here are the color chips:
Maybe Niagara Blue Light? a 28 color.
All of those colors look too dark from your screenshot. I'm going to locate a chip book and keep looking.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
All of those colors look too dark from your screenshot. I'm going to locate a chip book and keep looking.
I used to be fooled the same way. You need to cut a square hole in a dark sheet of paper the size of the paint chip, then lay it over the chip. Now the chip will look lighter, and hold it next to your car to be sure.