Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #21
Tudortomnz

Default Re: 35 Colonial cab pickup

As Henry said...." all history is bunk"
The only informative book on Colonial Motor Co. is by Roger Gardiner [ Ford Ahead] who actually worked for them. It is the official record of Colonial Motor Co.
The Seaview Plant opened in 1936 & previous to this, in the V8 era, assembly was done at Colonials Wellington building. Timaru assembly had ceased sometime during 1930, due to lack of sales because of the Depression. Full CKD Ford assembly did not begin until the opening of Ford Seaview Plant ; check this in Rogers book.
I have seen US/ Canadian steel cab '35 '36 light commercial pickups with the Nth American decks in NZ ; one was just a few houses up from where we lived.
Many V8 cars were converted to pickups in later years as they were virtually indestructable [ except in stockcar racing] & readily available up to the '60's.
Actually, Ford England started sending some commercial chassis to NZ in '33 '34 with the B engine & skirted fenders & these did get the 'Colonial Cab' [ Standard Motor Bodies', a subsidary of CMC]. But thats another story.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #22
JD

Hi Trev, Ford Motor Co NZ were selling Seaview plant production from 1936 but Colonial Motor Co continued to distribute Ford products in their own right. They went on to great success as the holding company for the Ford dealerships.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
52merc

correction 36/ to 61 was ford nz 25years anniversary
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #24
JD

Thanks for the response Tom.

Yes, Roger Gardiner's book is an excellent well-researched document. I'm curious now about the closing date for the Timaru plant. The 1935 production figures that Michael Gibbons showed me had "Timaru" at the top of the page. He photo-copied the pages for me at the time. According to Wayne Pateman, CEO of Timaru Motors, the Sophia Street, Timaru assembly plant continued until 1936 when Ford opened up its own manufacturing plant at Seaview in Wellington. Mark Webster in his book "Assembly - NZ Car Production 1921-28" states that CMC began to close down production over their three assembly plants (Auckland, Wellington, Timaru) from 1935 when Ford informed CMC that they would open their own plant. Production finally ceased in November 1936 at the CMC Wellington plant.

Interesting comment; according to Webster, in 1930, then Prime Minister Gordon Coates slapped a 55% import tax on Canadian vehicles, in return for Canada increasing import tax on our butter. This tariff was short lived but it had a drastic effect for a while in 1930. I wonder if there was a temporary shut down at the CMC plants in 1930? More information needed.

In 1932 duty on British CKD vehicles was only 5% so CMC were importing vehicles from Dagenham that very year.

I had one of those 1933 British pick-ups with the skirted guards. Don't know if it also had the smaller English Bf motor. The dash had two extra factory knobs which is interesting. A friend had one of those British 1933 Ford sedans with the 32 grille and bonnet (hood) but skirted guards and 33 dash, but as you say, that's another story.

Cheers for your reply, John
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #25
Tudortomnz

Thanks for your information John. Yes, lots of conflicting dates but I think Rodgers book is accurate as he had access to all the records of CMC. They were still assembling [ minor or SKD] into 1936 as the Seaview factory only opened Oct. '36. Being a full Ford Assembly factory, Seaview could then build vehicles from CKD as they had all the body jigs & electric welding which CMC did not.
The Webster book is not always accurate , eg. he states Model A's first sold here in 1929! Of course the first A's went on display in mid May '28 as is well known. Often modern authors repeat mistakes & do not research back to the era being discussed.
Actually I was wrong on the year of Timaru building closure, it was closed just before the new V8 & B4 in 1932. By then imports were so small [ 428 '32's] they could finish them at Wellington.
The arrival of British Fords was an export push to make NZ 'buy British' ; up to then we always bought Nth American vehicles. They hinted NZ primary produce sales to UK was at risk & NZ govt believed them. NZ govt wanted factories & jobs & favoured CKD assembly. Ford Canada also wanted their own Ford factory for full assembly & not one operated by an export agent & distributor such as CMC.
The British '32- '34's also came as sedans, Tudor & Fordor with the front 'suicide doors', about 10 total plus the handful of commercial chassis & the 550 Model Y's up to '37. Some late Model AA trucks also came from Dagenham. All sorts of strange shipments occurred in that era, even 'one off' dealer orders in 1931 when Canadian record show no imports.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #26
Brian

I have owned several 35-36 Colonial cab pickups over the years. They were all built on roadster cowls. It is my understanding that they were imported as chassis with passenger front sheetmetal up to the cowl. The rest was locally coachbuilt in whatever configuration the purchaser required. One interesting thing I've noted with all of them is they don't have a body number stamped into the firewall like regular cars/trucks did.
I also note that this particular pickup on trademe has a 36 cowl, not 35. Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #27
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I have owned several 35-36 Colonial cab pickups over the years. They were all built on roadster cowls. It is my understanding that they were imported as chassis with passenger front sheetmetal up to the cowl. The rest was locally coachbuilt in whatever configuration the purchaser required. One interesting thing I've noted with all of them is they don't have a body number stamped into the firewall like regular cars/trucks did.
I also note that this particular pickup on trademe has a 36 cowl, not 35. Brian
Brian , thanks for the input , Why do you say its a 36 cowl ? if you look at another thread here on the barn right now it discusses the 35-36 cowl differences & if I believe what the different members are say on this thread , how do you really tell? as you certainly can not go by the X stamping on the sides also I know it has always had a 35 fuel tank & gauge , the hydrastatic type . I will try to get my friend that owns this pickup to chime in as I am sure that would be interesting.As stated in his listing , its history is known from almost new.I have emailed him & asked him to chime it , so heres hoping .
Thanks all Cheers
Tony

Last edited by KiWinUS; 11-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
Brian

Look at the side of the cowl behind the 'X' , you will see the rubber blanking grommets that the hood shuts against, that is a 36 only feature. 35's have lacing down there. Brian
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #29
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Look at the side of the cowl behind the 'X' , you will see the rubber blanking grommets that the hood shuts against, that is a 36 only feature. 35's have lacing down there. Brian
Brian , do you think its possible CMC were like ford & were using up parts with this truck ? Excess 35 fenders & parts with a 36 cowl ?
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
Brian

Anything is possible with these old Fords. Brian
Old 01-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #31
iangrigor

Just to keep this thread going, here is my 1936 Colonial Cab, currently in pieces awaiting restoration.

It was my grand-fathers since brand new, used on his market garden in North Canterbury. While I managed to strip it down, life and a move from the Hutt Valley to Featherston has seen no progress on the rebuild for quite a while.

It was great to read the rest of this thread and learn of some more of the history.

Cheers
Ian
iangrigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
PeteVS

Did anyone get the image (and would be willing to post it) that must have appeared on the "trade me" website? That listing is no longer on the site. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Fe26

Ian, was this the pickup I saw at an EFV8C Easter meet in North Canterbury a few years ago? I remember hearing a very similar story and seeing an old Colonial.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #34
iangrigor

I wouldn't think so, it has been in the lower North Island for the last 5 years and prior to that had not run for 15 years or so, sitting in a lean-to in Gore Bay, near Cheviot.

Thanks for asking
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #35
Tudortomnz

Hey, this is interesting.
iangrigor, do you have any old rego papers with this vehicle? If it was done new, it would be recorded as a commercial from new. If not, it would have a later date when the rego changed from car to truck. I may well have to 'eat my hat' on this topic.
Tom
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #36
iangrigor

Unfortunately not, the number plate that came on it indicated it was re-registered back in the 60's/70's as it began with a D. I do have some servcie logs from the old Cheviot Motor Company where it was serviced regularly.

Cheers
Ian