Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
denniskliesen

Default Fuel system on 57 Ranchero Y block

I need help here on this 57 Y block beings I have little experience with these year of Fords. Does this valve need to be on the pump? The fuel supply line was connected to it. It seems restrictive and I’m not sure if it’s causing a problem. I was having a problem with a plugged supply line between the tank and the pump. Maybe it’s not supposed to be there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 44067FE0-6452-4783-B953-4CDADAED9D5F.jpeg (106.0 KB, 41 views)
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Fuel system on 57 Ranchero Y block

My Y-blocks use a different style fuel pump...
but that screw-in cylinder shaped piece looks like a fuel filter to me.
It may just need replacing, since you are having clogged fuel line problems.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-07-2020 at 03:17 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Ford Freak

My '57 312 engine had a different pump than that . I would get one w/out that sediment bowl . - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
I need help here on this 57 Y block beings I have little experience with these year of Fords. Does this valve need to be on the pump? The fuel supply line was connected to it. It seems restrictive and I’m not sure if it’s causing a problem. I was having a problem with a plugged supply line between the tank and the pump. Maybe it’s not supposed to be there?
Looks like it is missing this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...435043&jsn=547 And they screwed in the inline filter in it's place NAPA should have this WIX filter in stock you will probably need a new line to pump fitting too,should fix your issue be careful
snugging up the glass bowl.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
darrell

you can toss that if you want and if you want a filter just put one inline between fuel pump and carb.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
denniskliesen

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Having a full time experience with Model A for years now, I’m very familiar and used to the glass bowl. The pump came with the car and works just fine. There is a fine mesh screen in it and I’m going to leave that as is. There is also an inline filter between the pump and carburetor so I’m satisfied with the filter situation. I am going to replace that filter as dmsfrr thought it is and put a 1/8 x 5/16” hose barb on there and call it good. This car sat for at least 5 years in a garage never started over that time and who knows what the gas was like in it. The gas tank looks like it has been out recently.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

You have an original type fuel pump with the glass sediment bowl. I'm surprised it is still pumping. Originally those had a perforated stone fuel filter inside the glass bowl. Later replacements for the stone filter were like the modern paper filters. The T-Bird model has a separate glass bowl & filter assembly in the fuel line ahead of the carburetor located just above the intake manifold. The replacement s for those might also fit your pump but not sure.
The replacement fuel pumps no longer have the glass sediment bowl. Everyone just installs an inline throw-away fuel filter between pump and carb nowadays. There are no rebuild kits available for the 1954 and later fuel pumps anymore. Now, you are forced to buy a new pump for $100.00 if your pump goes bad.
I'd be real skeptical that a pump that old isn't dumping gasoline into the crankcase at this stage.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
denniskliesen

You have a good point about that about the age. It’s unknown how old the Airtex pump is.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
denniskliesen

You have a good point about that about the age. It’s unknown how old the Airtex pump is.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Hot Rod Reverend

there are still kits available that handle modern fuels...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-F...-/382421755928
Old 05-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
packrat5
BANNED

You know, that is a very good idea, if it is on the suction side. I never thought of that little trick. I gots to do it. The only problem I see with it is it's not capable of holding much "debris" as it were. And in spite of all the naysayers that are going to jump on this, I never was a fan of a fuel filter between the pump outlet and the carb inlet, especially those pretty see thru ones that come apart to clean. I always worried about the hose(s) connections leaking, or the hose failing. In my opinion, the best and least worrisome, were the filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the tank. By the way, there is a filter that fits inside that glass sediment bowl. They come in several different sizes. Then you have no potential leaks to worry about, and you can see the inside of the bowl when a clean out is needed.

Last edited by packrat5; 05-08-2020 at 01:29 PM.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat5 View Post
You know, that is a very good idea, if it is on the suction side. I never thought of that little trick. I gots to do it. The only problem I see with it is it's not capable of holding much "debris" as it were. And in spite of all the naysayers that are going to jump on this, I never was a fan of a fuel filter between the pump outlet and the carb inlet, especially those pretty see thru ones that come apart to clean. I always worried about the hose(s) connections leaking, or the hose failing. In my opinion, the best and least worrisome, were the filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the tank.
A filter between the tank and fuel pump would keep most crud out of the fuel pump too.
So the check valves can work better.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
denniskliesen

The Airtex double pump I installed has a fine mesh screen in the sediment bowl. The old single pump had a paper element that fell apart when I touched it. Does anybody have a part number for that paper element?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
packrat5
BANNED

Besides the pleated paper type, there is also a much more durable sort of paper one, and a powdered ceramic type. I believe you could get one from one of those hot dog chevy parts vendors. They were used on chevs and corvettes thru the 60s.
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote