Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
akersa

Default 1928-29 Closed Cab Pickup wood plans

I am working on restoring a 1929 Model A closed cab pickup. I am on a tight budget, and am a accomplished wood worker so I am hoping I can save some money by making all the wood for the cab myself instead of purchasing a kit. Does anybody have any plans they could share with me, or know of a place I could purchase plans?

Thanks,
Adam Akers
akersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: 1928-29 Closed Cab Pickup wood plans

I am a terrible wood worker and slaved on wood for my special coupe making parts to match the surviving wood. No patterns could be found so that is all we had. Three vehicles later it has been realized that buying the wood kit is far cheaper and faster to correctly fit.
Just my two cents.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
denis4x4

I did a '29 CCPU with extended cab corners requiring some custom wood work. I bought specific pieces from Bert's Model A and made many pieces using white oak. Not an easy task!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0420.jpg (105.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
RAS

This may be a little wordy so bear with me. I have a set of plans that a few years back a fellow Model A'er, who's no longer with us, made for me. So in the spirit of Gary Partridge I make that same offer to you. For the cost of having reprints made and shipping I will have copies of my prints made for you. Here's a couple pictures of what I have plus a sketch Gary sent of a missing print. I have never used these prints so I cannot attest to their accuracy. I believe it was around $35-$40 by the time all was said and done. If you are interested send me you zip code, I'll stop by a print shop one day next week and be able to give you an accurate cost.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.JPG (143.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1970.JPG (151.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1971.JPG (118.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1972.JPG (107.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1973.JPG (126.2 KB, 56 views)
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
wrndln

I agree with Farrel - you would be better of buying a complete top wood and body wood kit. It is one of the cheapest kits made, because the 28/29 CCPU cabs are pretty simple. If that is a stretch, you could buy the complicated pieces like the heavy B pillar wood pieces, the header piece and the rear wood across the back. The 4 seatback slats, the 1/2" thick oddly shaped B pillar piece that hold the alignment clips, and the map box wood I made myself. I have a hand made pattern for the 1/2" thick B pillar wood pieces I created from an original wood piece. I to have done a lot of woodworking, but there are so many curved and odd shaped pieces, it is hard to get them right.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
FreedomJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAS View Post
This may be a little wordy so bear with me. I have a set of plans that a few years back a fellow Model A'er, who's no longer with us, made for me. So in the spirit of Gary Partridge I make that same offer to you. For the cost of having reprints made and shipping I will have copies of my prints made for you. Here's a couple pictures of what I have plus a sketch Gary sent of a missing print. I have never used these prints so I cannot attest to their accuracy. I believe it was around $35-$40 by the time all was said and done. If you are interested send me you zip code, I'll stop by a print shop one day next week and be able to give you an accurate cost.

Rick
Good morning, for the cost of printing and shipping wondering if I could get a copy of your drawings as well?
FreedomJim is offline   Reply With Quote