Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Hitchhiker

Default A little torn....should I sell/trade?

So, I've got a great late 1931 wide bed with soft top. I'm told its pretty rare and shouldn't be messed up and should be restored. It's a pretty great little truck as is IMHO. But as all old cars its in need of some things. I enjoy it as is, but the original engine is tired. Normally I would swap it out for another, but this one actually matches the frame number and the title. I feel the truck is a excellent candidate for restoration. But I don't want to restore it. I want to leave it as is and continue to drive it everyday. I'm getting another engine for it, But I feel bad taking this one out. I can't afford to rebuild the current engine properly at this time and feel like if a swap it for another, even though I will keep the original, it will never make it back in. I'm starting to think I would be better off with a less original vehicle to try and keep on the road. Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: A little torn....should I sell/trade?

If the babbit is OK, then a light overhaul shouldn't cost too much. If you can find a low priced temp engine to keep it on the road, that would be good, and you can resell it when you reinstall the original engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Rex_A_Lott

No reason to feel bad about taking out the original engine, so you can put a known good one in, and continue to enjoy the truck. Put the original in the corner and save the money for a proper rebuild.
You'll only feel bad about it if you keep driving the truck until the original engine is destroyed.
Nice truck. Good Luck!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
flatford39

The key word here is that you "enjoy" the truck. That's all I had to hear. You need to tell us more about the current engine & why you think it needs to be rebuilt. You seem to have a handle on another engine to install so I would go with that and hang on to the number matching motor even if you never get around to rebuilding re-installing.

The key word is "enjoy". You have something right now that a lot of guys only dream about.

I've seen some of your work on the HAMB and you seem more than capable of doing an engine transplant. They are pretty simple and can be done in a weekend along with a bunch of normal maintenance, clutch etc.

I hope you don't restore the truck. Just do a engine transplant and hang on to that matching numbers block.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Roadster62

Remove engine, place in corner of garage, install a better one and continue enjoying the pickup, what is wrong with that? NOBODY will know the differance unless you tell them. Bob
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Steve Wastler

Keep it, It's for your enjoyment! No worries for a temp. Engine swap, just be sure to keep them together, even if the original is sitting in the corner.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
1crosscut

If you do pull the engine make sure that you place a tag on it so others will know where it belongs. Just in case ya know
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Ross/Kzoo

I bought a 66 that had modern engine transplant. When the person that I bought the car from saw the rare original motor in the corner of the garage he made sure that the deal included that engine. He had the motor rebuilt and placed back in the car and I'm sure glad that he had such good judgement.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Remove engine, place in corner of garage, install a better one and continue enjoying the pickup, what is wrong with that? NOBODY will know the differance unless you tell them. Bob
This would be my plan!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
The key word here is that you "enjoy" the truck. That's all I had to hear. You need to tell us more about the current engine & why you think it needs to be rebuilt. You seem to have a handle on another engine to install so I would go with that and hang on to the number matching motor even if you never get around to rebuilding re-installing.

The key word is "enjoy". You have something right now that a lot of guys only dream about.

I've seen some of your work on the HAMB and you seem more than capable of doing an engine transplant. They are pretty simple and can be done in a weekend along with a bunch of normal maintenance, clutch etc.

I hope you don't restore the truck. Just do a engine transplant and hang on to that matching numbers block.
So you know what the truck looks like currently....All bolt ons, no cutting. Nothing crazy. I had a really negative comment from a older couple after I showed it to them and talked about the original engine and such, they apparently are into restored 100%, it kinda bummed me out, as I feel I am making it my own without affecting it adversely. It would literally take me 3-4 hours to put it back to the way it is in the top picture. In fact I have a photoshoot that I will be putting it back to 100% stock at the end of the month.

It's literally just tires, headlights, and a bumper...Headlights because I wanted sealed beam lights with turn signals on top to use in busy city traffic....and I had them. 16 tires because my originals are shot and again...I had them.... and I took the bumper off when I did the headgasket. It made it way easier to work on. So yes, not 100% stock, but far from a chopped up "rat rod"

All just stuff I feel makes it work a little better for me being used daily in the city. I have no plans on ever cutting it up. Just simple bolt on stuff. with the original stuff stored safely away for the next owner or for myself if I ever want to put it back. which I have done just to be 100% for a week or two. It's like having two different trucks!

...Maybe this would be better posted on the Hamb. Don't mean to offend, But you guys have a better insight on if I am actually ruining something special.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Phred

No offense taken by me.
Enjoy the truck.
Peace
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Napa Skip

One person's opinion:

1. Don't worry (or even continue to think about) the older couple's negative comment(s);

2. Refurbish/rebuild/repair/replace the existing engine as your budget, driving needs and personal desires warrant;

3. Continue driving your Model A.

I used my A as a daily driver for about 3 years while I was living in East Bremerton and was chief engineer on a submarine indergoing overhaul at the shipyard. This included (in 1981, as I recall) driving to and from the shipyard for a couple of days using a set of tire chains during an unusual (for Bremerton) snow storm.

Anyway, I came off the ship one day to find a note tucked under my windshield wiper from a shipyard worker who had a Model A engine and transmission he had used as a log splitter and no longer wanted. If I wanted it, it was mine for free. I took them, still have them and even used them for a couple of months while I "tightened up" my regular engine.

The point being that - with a limited budget - I would bet you could obtain something similar.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post

...Maybe this would be better posted on the Hamb. Don't mean to offend, But you guys have a better insight on if I am actually ruining something special.
Unless you are talking about putting in a small block Chevy in it, here is fine.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Unless you are talking about putting in a small block Chevy in it, here is fine.
Haha. No. I keep my SBC where it belongs...in my Blazer.