Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #41
Bill Goddard

Default Re: I need some shocks! having some sticker shock!

[QUOTE=sidhartha;819033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
I need some shocks for my 1931 Pickup....I've been looking, But I am starting to have some sticker shock. Why are they so expensive and hard to find? I have a hard time spending 15% of what I paid for the truck for some rebuilt shocks. But I don't want to alter the truck either for another style. Any help or advice would be great. Are the reproductions bad? they seem to have a lot of bad press. thanks Matt[/

I've got a conversion kit made by Ryan Kaye. It was a little over $300.00 delivered and came complete with Gabriel shocks and didn't require drilling extra holes anywhere as I didn't want to drill holes in the front axle. The ride is good and I no longer have issues with body roll in a corner like I'd had before. They're a great alternative to the originals. I can always change back and not have any telltale signs the modern shocks where ever there.

Do you have contact information for Ryan Kaye? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #42
jm29henry

Just checked my model a news Robert Paul has been rebuilding great shocks for years the price today Is $55.00 and buying them outright is $85.00 his phone #is 719-478-5102 address is 34175 tructon rd yoder co 80864 hope tis helps!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #43
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
I need some shocks for my 1931 Pickup....I've been looking, But I am starting to have some sticker shock. Why are they so expensive and hard to find? I have a hard time spending 15% of what I paid for the truck for some rebuilt shocks. But I don't want to alter the truck either for another style. Any help or advice would be great. Are the reproductions bad? they seem to have a lot of bad press. thanks Matt

We bought two sets of schocks from Dick Pirkl, Tubular Convrsions. Ph no. 608 575 7433. Met Dick in Wisconsin at a Model A Nat'l Convention and drove his "demo". No holes to drill. His shocks are strong, comfortable and easy to install. Price for all 4 shocks from Dick is just $325.00.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #44
sidhartha

[QUOTE=Bill Goddard;819097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhartha View Post

Do you have contact information for Ryan Kaye? Bill G
Yes, his number is: (920) 559-6778. You can also contact him through his ad on Evil-Bay. His shocks are the best setup I could find and the most resonable price too.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #45
28Ca8149

Just a suggestion about getting things loose ,I use 1 molasses with 10 of water .Let stay for two weeks then put the rusty part in it for about a month . The other that works fast and is the best is 50-50 acetone and automatic oil or lacquer thinner .The latter was tested with a nut the needed 500 ft lbs to un do .most other things like Kroll, WD40 took 250 to 3oo ft lbs where as the acetone and Automatic oil took 50 lbs in just a few days,and is reasonable for cost and availability
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #46
Tony S,Fl.

A lot of talk about bad or unrebuildable shocks . Now what makes a shock go bad ? How can one keep a good shock from going bad.????? Tony
Tony S,Fl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S,Fl. View Post
A lot of talk about bad or unrebuildable shocks . Now what makes a shock go bad ? How can one keep a good shock from going bad.????? Tony
Keeping them full of good oil instead of the original glycerin should help.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #48
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony S,Fl. View Post
The glycerin used in them originally, is hygroscopic, it absorbs moisture from the air. So when the shocks leaked a bit and there was an air gap, and that air gap filled with water, and when that water was absorbed into the glycerin, corrosion was the result. The corrosion can be repaired, but you would want to do it yourself, as it is highly labour intensive, and if you pay by the hour for someone elses labour, you'd want to own a gold mine. Another wear spot is on the shaft where it exits the shock body, this can also be repaired, either by sleeving, or build up with weld, and turned back down to size.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote