Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
duke36

Default Pinto 2.O transmission options

Without engaging in the pros/cons of a Pinto engine in an A, would a Mitchell overdrive be a preferred option than a Mitchell Synchro transmission to accommodate the engine's higher rev's ?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Pinto 2.O transmission options

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Without engaging in the pros/cons of a Pinto engine in an A, would a Mitchell overdrive be a preferred option than a Mitchell Synchro transmission to accommodate the engine's higher rev's ?
IMO, NO! An under drive might be a better idea if you're using a Model A rear end.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #3
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
IMO, NO! An under drive might be a better idea if you're using a Model A rear end.
Any direct bolt up tranny recommendations to replace the stock Model A box or without major mod's?
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Any direct bolt up tranny recommendations to replace the stock Model A box or without major mod's?
I'm not the right person to talk to about this one - we didn't see any Pintos over here.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
Gil Sissons

Model A original transmission combined with a
Mitchell overdrive that they turn into a underdrive.
Works very well!

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:02 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I am definitely not an expert on Pinto conversions. I had considered one for my ’32 back in the seventies but for several reasons I chose to go with the Chevy II engine. Since I had considered the engine I made mental notes when I saw or read about the conversion. I assume you have a Model A that had a Pinto engine added back in the seventies or eighties using the original Model A transmission and you want a better transmission. I believe they make an adapter to add a ’32-’39 transmission to a Model A engine but I think the adapter is going to turn out to be in the same location as your current adapter between the Pinto engine and the Model A transmission so you won’t be able to use it. Call Clings [(480) 777-1202)] about the adapter but I am fairly certain it won’t do what you need. You might look into converting the current Model A transmission to synchromesh using the kit from Mitchell but be sure to read reports on it on Fordbarn. You could then add one of their overdrive units and change to lower rear end gears. Remember if you replace the Model A transmission with a ’32-’39 transmission you will need to fabricate brackets to mount the brake and clutch pedals (again, Cling’s may have a kit). To answer one of your other questions, yes a ’32 to ’39 transmission will bolt to a Model A Torque tube. Best of luck.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Alaska Mike

We have a local company here that started out making bell housings for dirt track racers. They could make a bell housing for you, so that you could bolt up any engine to any transmission. Dirt track racers are nuts! The name of the company is "Quick Time". They might be able to help you figure out what you are trying to do. Located in in Southern Iowa.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote