Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default Suggestions for shipping an early Ford transmission

I need to ship a complete '35 transmission about halfway accross the USA. I've read posts here in the past describing how some folks have used plastic tubs purchased from big box stores, cut a piece of plywood for the bottom of the tub, then lashed the transmisson to the plywood and bottom of tub, by drilling holes and using several large heavy duty tie straps.
If anyone has any further details on doing this, and/or maybe another good method they have used, I would appreciate you post information here, or sending me a PM on this. Also, which postal carrier would be best to use based on time and cost involved.
Thank you!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Suggestions for shipping an early Ford transmission

I have not tried "Fastenal" as a shipping method, you might check it out.
There has been Greyhound, not sure about that either.

My first thought for shipping container: lag the trans, face (front) down, to a 2x4 frame and build a 3/8" plywood box around it.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
TonyM

Hello John,

When I shipped my trans to Van Pelt a few years back, I built a crate around the transmission. Drilled some holes for rope handles and it worked out good. Cheap and easy. Sent it UPS.

Last edited by TonyM; 01-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Bill's Auto Works

Sir,

You might post the cities it would be coming from & going to, just in case someone is traveling along that route.

As a vehicle transporter, I do from time to time add something like an engine, trans, or body part if it is not too far out of my transport route.

God Bless
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Amb. Cust. Lemans
1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2 DR HT
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix 2 DR HT
1966 Pontiac Catalina Conv
1966 AMC Ambassador DPL 2 DR HT
1966 AMC Ambassador Cust 2DR HT
1967 AMC Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Chevy Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS 2 DR Coupe
2007 Cadillac XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Bill's Auto Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
cas3

fastenal goes from store to store, and you dont do anything, they put it in a tub full of they're parts, or on one of they're pallets. its too easy
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

I've shipped a trans. via FedEx. From what I gather, their prices for large, bulk items as gone through the roof since. I think I was able to do it for around $40 of actual freight and another $10 bucks in supplies, plus an hour of my time.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

For T5s, I have used a piece of ply for the base with blocks to level/support the trans. Strap it down, Couple of blocks under the base and a lightweight ply sides and lid.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
rockfla

I shipped a complete 32 motor from SoCal (LA Area) to Jax FL via Fed Ex freight.......made sure all fluids were empty, blocked under the bell housing, strapped down to a pallet and sent it on the way!!!!! It was here in 3 days and seems to me back then (2004) it was around $100 bucks.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Mac VP

You can build your own wood crate if you wish......directions are on our website. Or purchase one from us for $85.00. The ups ground generally runs a bit over $100 most anywhere in the USA. However, ups has sent out a notice to all commercial shippers (ie: us) that effective June of 2018, they’re going to start adding about $90 surcharge on any heavy shipments (over 70 lbs) to any residential deliveries. Apparently nothing gets added if we’re shipping to a commercial address like a business. So, start getting a list together of your pals who run a business in your town and plan on buying them a six pack for a favor......
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
1931flathead

I have sent two motor from minn to pa they were 1000 pounds each in a shipping container 5 foot by 5 foot for 250.00 each they went Fastenal I have ship a lot of parts buy them they are the cheapest I found for big parts
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
mrtexas

You might also consider Forward Freight if you are close to a large airport. They ship from airport to airport. They use spare baggage space in commercial airlines. They are cheap especially for large stuff. I used them to ship a 50 inch high wheel bike in a huge box across the country for cheap.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I need to ship a complete '35 transmission about halfway accross the USA. I've read posts here in the past describing how some folks have used plastic tubs purchased from big box stores, cut a piece of plywood for the bottom of the tub, then lashed the transmisson to the plywood and bottom of tub, by drilling holes and using several large heavy duty tie straps.
If anyone has any further details on doing this, and/or maybe another good method they have used, I would appreciate you post information here, or sending me a PM on this. Also, which postal carrier would be best to use based on time and cost involved.
Thank you!!
Hey John,
I had one such trans completely destroyed by UPS years ago.
This bad experience comes back to mind when reading your inquiry.
If doing this over again, I think that I'd talk to the company who will do the shipping, about if they provide boxing for shipping. Some do and by doing so, THE company has no one to blame if item is damaged/destroyed due to boxing/packing. My case...mine was crated in wood and buffered with extra boxing. They threw it off of a truck then argued that MY packaging was the cause. Of course, insurance is good idea. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
Krylon32

Just got a quote from UPS on shipping a 32 lb 32 wishbone from Nebraska to Florida and it was 150.00. UPS has gone crazy, the quote from Fastenal was 40.00. I have not gotten the message from UPS about the heavy surcharge. If I were you I would build a sturdy crate and ship Fastenal.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #14
RalphM

Bought one from a guy in the lower 48 several
Years back. We decided go go usps because of cost. So he pulled the shifter sent it in one box(two pieces of cardboard), then the tower in another, and then he built a stepped crate shape of transmission, to hold the rest. It came in under 70 lbs( I think minus the release bearing).
Turned out to be the best way to go for me.
I may even still have the crate around here somewhere.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM   #15
expavr

A gent in PA fabricated a wood crate to ship the 49 Merc O/D trans in the photo from PA to CA. I kept the crate to move the trans around after it was rebuilt. It was made from 1/2" plywood. The bottom shown in the photo anchors the bellhousing with a 2X4 screwed to the plywood and an angle brace in the front.
The back was bolted to some scrap which is screwed to the plywood. Simple yet sturdy. I used Fastenal and as I recall the shipping cost was less than $100.00 about 4 years ago. They even helped load it with their forklift when I went to pick it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-Merc.jpg (84.1 KB, 65 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Thank you for all the good suggestions, really appreciated.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
GB SISSON

X2 on Fastenal. 3 speed trans last year from Springfield Il to Anacortes Wa. 125.00. In a wood crate.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
35fordtn

John I’ve used a 18x18x18 box plenty of padding around the trans. Then I place it into a 20x20x20 triple wall box. Shipping cost for a trannie has never exceeded $100 through Fedex ground. I do get commercial rates but even at retail rates it’s cheap.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
You can build your own wood crate if you wish......directions are on our website. Or purchase one from us for $85.00. The ups ground generally runs a bit over $100 most anywhere in the USA. However, ups has sent out a notice to all commercial shippers (ie: us) that effective June of 2018, they’re going to start adding about $90 surcharge on any heavy shipments (over 70 lbs) to any residential deliveries. Apparently nothing gets added if we’re shipping to a commercial address like a business. So, start getting a list together of your pals who run a business in your town and plan on buying them a six pack for a favor......
You beat me to it.....HAHA....
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #20
Ian1932

Find one of your friends who works @ a company that uses either Fedex or UPS. Have them ship it for you. I shipped a 40lbs plywood box all the way east coast to west coast insured for $1000 for $38 and some change. If i would have done it on my own it would have been $96 !!! UPS and FedEx bid against each other for primary shipping of a business packages.
Ian1932 is offline   Reply With Quote