Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Bill Goddard

Default Electronic Ignition Opinions Needed

My garage is too cold to work in so I have too much time to look at cataloques and manuals. I have become very interested in the Redmund Ignitions/FS Ignitions as described in the 2nd vol of Les Andrews' book.
Would there be any strong feelings out there about this product. I like it because it is invisible inside the current distributer and is easy to convert. Thanks Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: Electronic Ignition Opinions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
My garage is too cold to work in so I have too much time to look at cataloques and manuals. I have become very interested in the Redmund Ignitions/FS Ignitions as described in the 2nd vol of Les Andrews' book.
Would there be any strong feelings out there about this product. I like it because it is invisible inside the current distributer and is easy to convert. Thanks Bill G
I have such setup/equipment. I like for same reasons you like it.
Ten years now and not one problem...i.e.- reliable Did the 'conversion' myself in like an hour or less. No strong feelings tho.

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-21-2015 at 02:41 AM. Reason: ................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
C4engr

I have an FS Ignition set-up in mine. I love it to the MAX...
Never a problem...

Rog
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

As a dealer for FS ignitions, I can tell you that it is a quality product, ...now, however I have seen quite a few failures over the years and I have warrantied many more than I can count. In other words, when they worked, folks were happy but when they failed, folks were stressed and unhappy!!

For several years we actually installed them in almost every car that went out of the shop. The reason I stopped is in my view, the reward was not worth the chance. By this I am suggesting the power advantage used to be there when no one was manufacturing good quality distributor cams or points. The benefit when those were not available definitely put an advantage towards the electronics however now it is different. Therefore the risk involved in accidentally leaving an ignition switch on to cause a module failure, or the expense of the unit vs. the good quality points, cam, and condenser, ...or the time necessary to make repairs/changeout after a failure is just not worth the effort/expense on 90% of typical Model-A applications IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

The Dallas club has a bunch of them, never problems and they (and I) love it. It actually smooths the motor out as well (I know some on here have doubted this when I said this before, so I have invited doubters to visit my shop gratis and check things out, take a drive in my A.) I will never go back

I believe this is because the electronics hit the spark at the exact same place for each and every cylinder at just the right time every time; something the tightest dizzy bearings and best made cam/lobes cannot do.

Find someone who has it in your club and try it out yourself before buying, this is always a good idea with a 'new' product.

BTW I am not affiliated with FSI in any way.

Last edited by tbirdtbird; 02-09-2014 at 07:44 PM.
tbirdtbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
MAG

"the good quality points, cam, and condenser, ...or the time necessary to make repairs/changeout after a failure is just not worth the effort/expense on 90% of typical Model-A applications IMHO.'
Yep! Mine failed on 3 rd day of Great Race Rally. That was enough for me. Of course there will be those that say it wasn't installed properly or wasn't grounded correctly or wrong coil, etc. Nope! None of the above. Fortunately the original ignition system was in the spares.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

I like my original points and rebuilt distributor.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I have no experience with electronic in any of our model As. I have no doubt that they are good untill some little something goes wrong. The thing is when it fails replacement of the module or whole unit is the only fix. Most admit that they haul an extra unit plus a timed model A distributor in case of failure. A lot of people that use them just don't really trust them. Like the so called modern points, I think that peer pressure is the reason that some are compelled to use them. I prefer a setup that I have experience with and can fix myself no matter what goes wrong.

With good original points,condenser and a new Stipe dist. cam the model A distributor works good for me. With fine tuned increased air gaps at the rotor tip and an epoxy filled Flame thrower coil my spark is plenty hot. Mine cranks quick and my spark plugs run clean.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Russ/40

I worked with Remund when he was still in business. I was doing the V8 versions of his unit. Initially there was a lot of failures, until Pertronix made some changes to the modules to make them less vulnerable to voltage spikes which are prevalent in generator power systems. The "A" versions became very successful and reliable. I agree with the cautions above though that were well said, that when they fail your stuck. They are too expensive to carry spare electronics units, so most savvy folks carry a spare points unit just in case. I have been running a unit in my '40 since the prototype days and never had a problem. Knock on wood!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
Logan

I've got four of their distributors, and have installed probably 6 or 7 of them in other cars. Yes they work great. Use a timing light to set your timing, and wire it specifically to their wiring diagram. A "malfunction" happens every now and then, and I've never heard of fs not standing behind their product. They always will help in any way that they can, and are great people to just sit down and talk to on the phone. I carry an extra coil and module with Me, and on extended trips even an extra fs distributor package just incase. We've only had one fail over the years, and that was due to operator error.

I carry spares not because I don't trust my fs unit, it's because if there's anything mechanical no matter how perfectly it was put together, it is subject to failure. The spare modules are $60 I believe, or atleast they were a couple years ago. You couldn't convince me to return to points and condenser. We drove the fordoor to canada in back, 3000 miles in a week, and it never missed a beat.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Something to remember, there is NOTHING that a FS unit can do that can't be accomplished with a good set of points and cam. So often we get caught up with false emotions believing something is better just because it seems believable.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
jerry shook

I have fs units in two cars, they have been in over 5 years never had a problem i would never go back to points. My cars crank and perform better with fs.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #13
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Something to remember, there is NOTHING that a FS unit can do that can't be accomplished with a good set of points and cam. So often we get caught up with false emotions believing something is better just because it seems believable.
Brent, I had the Per-Lux account when the Petronix was introduced and was party to extensive testing that indicated the unit provided a hotter spark that resulted in better performance and, in some cases, better economy. Before electronic ignitions became original equipment, Petronix systems were installed on all gas Ryder rental trucks as well as UPS intown vans. Mickey Remund was the guy that perfected the Petronix for Model A's as well as early flathead V-8's. Mickey was also the guy that built many of the record setting engines used by Mickey Thompson.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Brent, I had the Per-Lux account when the Petronix was introduced and was party to extensive testing that indicated the unit provided a hotter spark that resulted in better performance and, in some cases, better economy. Before electronic ignitions became original equipment, Petronix systems were installed on all gas Ryder rental trucks as well as UPS intown vans. Mickey Remund was the guy that perfected the Petronix for Model A's as well as early flathead V-8's. Mickey was also the guy that built many of the record setting engines used by Mickey Thompson.
I'm not sure if you mean Ryder or U-Haul, as Ryder typically traded their fleet in whereas U-Haul was a restoration company that "restored" their fleet. Back in the late 80s & early 90s when I was a Service Mgr for a U-Haul shop and we did retrofit to Pertronix units to trucks in their fleet that was 20-25 years old.

Now with that said, the Pertronix unit is only a triggering system, ....therefore it cannot produce a hotter spark. The coil does that. The only thing that the Pertronix can do over a worn set of points and/or worn lobes on a cam is dwell or saturation time. Bill Stipe's new distributor cams have equalled the playing field between the two.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
V4F

I love my FS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

One of the guys in the club had a "zipper" in his car. Never could get it to run right, went back to original.

Like Brent said some swear by them some swear at them. I remember reading that you cannot use an original popout switch with the unit.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 AM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

that is true
Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #18
Charlville

Got one on mine, very pleased with the performance. However be careful when shorting out plug wires or leaving the ignition switched on when the engine isn't running as the modules can burn out. FS Ignitions are a really great vendor, very helpful and they stand by their product. Pertronix here in the UK (Camberley) are also very helpful.
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So Bill, you have heard from some of the happy FS owners, ...and we all know there are many "points users" here that successfully use points year after year yet see no reason to voice their opinion, --so have YOU made a decision??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
jerry shook

If points when set up right are as good or even better by some people belief , why don"t they put them in our new cars ? They would have to be cheaper and more reliable then electronic. Just wondering.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote