Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
CornDog05

Default New to the World of Model A's

Hello everyone. About 2 weeks ago, I bought my first Model A! I've owned and restored mostly Mopars from the 60's/70's, but I love most all cars and trucks. I've always had a soft spot for the pre-WWII cars, especially Model A's. I joined a group on facebook, and have posted there, but thought I might post here as well.

I purchased this little '28 Special Coupe from a lady who lives in an awesome Southern home that was built in 1895. She had an estate sale and lucky for me, the sale must have not been well advertised and the car did not sell. I was able to work a deal with her afterwards. It belonged to her late husband who passed away two years ago. Supposedly, he bought the car around 20+ years ago, did some work to the car, and got it running and driving. They would drive it to town (2 miles away) and back, up to around 10 years ago. The car was parked and sat untouched until I purchased it. I do not know the reason for parking it though. The car is surprisingly very solid. For now, my plans are to replace the top, tires, and glass... along with a few other things, and to get the car running/driving. For now, I'll just leave the body pretty much as it is. I'm sure I'll have many questions here.

Justin

CornDog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Redbird

Default Re: New to the World of Model A's

The fun is just beginning. You are going to have a blast driving and maintaining your new love!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #3
modelAtony

CornDog05. Great looking car , the body looks pretty nice from the pictures. Have lots of fun. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
dennis lumbert

Welcome to the ford barn and thanks for sharing pictures of your new to you A.Your plan sounds great and your car looks like it has a lot to work with . Congratulations and have fun. Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #5
CornDog05

Thanks for the welcome guys. In the last 2-3 weeks, I've been reading a lot about A's. When searching for missing parts, I found out very quickly about the infamous belt molding that wraps around the base of the roof. Sadly, it is missing on my car. I will need to try and locate one or make something from scratch to replace it.

-Justin
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Classiccanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDog05 View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys. In the last 2-3 weeks, I've been reading a lot about A's. When searching for missing parts, I found out very quickly about the infamous belt molding that wraps around the base of the roof. Sadly, it is missing on my car. I will need to try and locate one or make something from scratch to replace it.

-Justin
What does it look like? I may have one, are all years the same?
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
CornDog05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccanuck View Post
What does it look like? I may have one, are all years the same?
Honestly, I'm not really sure how it looks when removed from the body, but here is a picture from the rear of the car. You can see where the gap is between base of the roof panel and the quarters meet up. It would dress up that seam and would look similar to the body line that runs along the quarter panels.
Thanks!
Justin

Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
CornDog05

Here is a quick photo comparison that I put together where you can see the molding. -Justin

Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Pinesdune

Here's a link to a thread I started, it has a top view of the belt rail trim, I'm out in the field today but will post a better pic of it when I get home, you can also use "hidem" welt until you find the steel one
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186052

Saving iron from the scrap pile one piece at a time
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Justin welcome to the barn! Make sure you take previous owner for a ride when you fix it up. I think she love and it will leave great impression for her.

Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Dave in MD

Justin,
The belt rail molding as a two piece molding that was used on the 1928/9 Business, Sport and Special Coupes. It also appears you are missing the molding that runs from the rain gutter to the belt rail in the recessed area. These were only used on the Special Coupes and are even rarer than the belt rails.
I have a 1928 Special and if I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to ask.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Pinesdune

Just a couple pics of the belt rail mouldings, have fun with your car
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome to the hobby
Old 05-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #14
cradlescyth

Welcome ! Some time they (A's) can be frustrating, but fun.
Enjoy
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
CornDog05

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. Pinesdune, that link will come in hand on having a visual of what the parts need actually look like. Tomorrow morning I am going back to the house to pick up the 1950 Merc that was purchased in the combo deal when I purchased the '28 A. I will look for any missing pieces of trim in their storage barn. Hopefully I will get lucky and find some of the missing trim. ** Fingers Crossed **

Here are a few more pictures from when I picked up the car.
-Justin

Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #16
CornDog05

This is when I got the car home and unloaded.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

The way that windshield is cracked I have to wonder if it is safety glass or not. It may be plate glass.
If that is the case be sure to replace it with safety glass. Henry was one of the first car mfg to use safety glass, but he only used it in the windshield (but at least it was a start).
One of his head engineers was hurt badly by broken plate glass on the test track and that caused him to spec safety glass for the windshield.

Bratton's carries the safety glass all ready made.

We are restoring a slant right now and making the effort to replace all the side glass with safety glass
Old 05-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #18
1930artdeco

You have avert ice looking 67(?) charger there as well. An A, a 50 Merc and the Charger, you will be having lots and lots fun during the summer.

Mike
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #19
Marcus

Corndog05: Please give me a call at 601-253-2732: we have an active A club in the area; as well, we have several experts, some nationally recognized - need to get you hooked up!! You are correct in that the action was not well advertised - I know several who would have been there! Are you also a member of the Mississippi Classic Cruisers? I remember seeing that Charger somewhere. Call me and we can talk - and welcome to the 'Barn - best decision you made other than that A!
Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
CornDog05

the only glass left in the car is the windshield and both quarter glasses... and it is plate glass. I have not looked into reproduction glass but I have already talked to the glass guy that we use at the body shop where I work. He said to let him know when I was ready and we can replace it with laminated safety glass.

Thank you for the compliments on my Charger. Actually it's a '66 but no worries. Usually the only ones that tell the differences between a '66 and a '67 are the purists.

Marcus, I will have to give you a call one evening this week if that's alright. I use to be a member of the Mississippi Classic Cruisers when they first started the club, but I have not renewed my membership since around 2008. I usually take the Charger to cruise-in's and car shows here in the Jackson, MS area.

I picked up the Mercury Saturday morning but had no luck finding additional parts. The lady's son told me that the Model A spend a lot of time at his grandfather's house. He said he would check if there were any additional parts up there but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks guys!
-Justin