Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2022, 03:40 AM   #1
fortyonerag

Default Can a 8BA be put in a 41?

This is probably a foolish question but I have to ask.

I'm looking for a good core for rebuild to replace the smokey 11A in my 41. The car is driver quality only.

My preference would be to start with a 59 or 99 239 block. So far, I have found a few 8BA's. They are far more common down under.

I'll keep hunting but I'm curious - Can an 8BA core be used or are they completely different animals?
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: Can a 8BA be put in a 41?

one thing you will need is the correct bell housing and starter plate if using your stock trans. you may also need 8rt (truck) water pumps.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #3
51504bat

Short answer, yes. You'll need a 1/2 bell housing from either a truck or a Merc. Make sure you get the correct starter plate for the 1/2 bell. The truck is cast iron and will take an 11 inch clutch. The Merc is stamped steel and will take up to an 10 inch clutch. You'll need truck pumps which are wide belts. So you'll need a wide belt crank pulley and generator/alternator belt. The car 8ba's where narrow belt. Not sure exactly where the 8ba fan will be located. I have an 8ba in my '39 p/u. The fan isn't perfectly centered in the radiator but it gets the job done. I use a rear sump truck pan for tie rod clearance. A rear sump Merc pan might work as well. I happen to have a truck pan and 1/2 bell with starter plate but shipping down under would be a killer. Good luck with the install.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

In addition to what others have said, you can "reconfigure" the front of a later 8BA to use all the 41' components - distributor, fan, pumps, pulleys, etc) that come on the 39-48 engines.

One important point is that you have to change out the CAM (the 49 - 53 ones drive the distributor on the side) as well as the crank/cam timing gears. You also have a water hole on each side of the block that needs to be plugged (easy job).

I prefer to use all the original components and do the reconfiguration - as everything fits exactly as the original engine did - including the fan.

If you're going to be rebuilding the later engine, then you can use the components off of your 41 engine to make this all work (assuming they are in good shape).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #5
flatford8

If the engine in the car now is just “Smokey”, a rebuild may not be that expensive or take that much time……..Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #6
19Fordy

Yes, you can make the 8BA work but, in the long run, you will find it easier, less expensive, less complicated and less frustrating to rebuild the engine you have and reinstall it as a stock fit without having to buy and adapt the components to make an 8BA fit your 41. For instance, the 41 radiator outlets are different size from the 8BA as well as the cooling fan set up. Then there's your exhaust system.

Plus, you will probably have to rebuild any 8BA engine you may acquire, so rebuild what you have instead. Your life will be happier as everything will fit as it should and just bolt back together without any hassle.

I say this after installing an 8BA in my 40 in 1973. It's not just a simple bolt-in as modifications and the components mentioned in the other responses are needed. Those components are no longer inexpensive and readily available. Best to stay with your OEM set up. You will be happier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9115b.jpg (81.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-21-2022 at 11:13 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:18 AM   #7
fortyonerag

Thanks everyone for responding to my late nite musings.

Short answer is yes, but maybe more hassle than it's worth.

I'll keep hunting for a good 239 block, although I'll rebuild the 221 if nothing comes up.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Yes, you can make the 8BA work but, in the long run, you will find it easier, less expensive, less complicated and less frustrating to rebuild the engine you have and reinstall it as a stock fit without having to buy and adapt the components to make an 8BA fit your 41. For instance, the 41 radiator outlets are different size from the 8BA as well as the cooling fan set up. Then there's your exhaust system.

Plus, you will probably have to rebuild any 8BA engine you may acquire, so rebuild what you have instead. Your life will be happier as everything will fit as it should and just bolt back together without any hassle.

I say this after installing an 8BA in my 40 in 1973. It's not just a simple bolt-in as modifications and the components mentioned in the other responses are needed. Those components are no longer inexpensive and readily available. Best to stay with your OEM set up. You will be happier.
Can you explain the exhaust system problem? Surely just use the cars original exhaust manifolds, and all is well.
Many thanks
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
19Fordy

Yes, you can use the original exhaust manifolds as they will bolt to an 8BA but, I am not sure of the fit of the crossover pipe. I have dual exhaust on my 40 and I am no expert on the 41.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
cadillac512

The manifolds fit fine as 19fordy said, but the crossover pipe may hit the oil pan depending on what pan you use. I had to drop the crossover down a couple inches on my '41 using a late Merc pan on an 8BA.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonerag View Post
Thanks everyone for responding to my late nite musings.

Short answer is yes, but maybe more hassle than it's worth.

I'll keep hunting for a good 239 block, although I'll rebuild the 221 if nothing comes up.
Why not bore the 221 out to 3 3/16”. That’ll give you 239.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Ya gotta remember that a 'pure' '41 has the fan mounted on crankshaft, at BOTTOM of radiator.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
fortyonerag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Why not bore the 221 out to 3 3/16”. That’ll give you 239.

Most likely I will. I'm hoping to find a good candidate block and build it slowly at my leisure while I can still drive the 41. This way I can take my time with things.