Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
Shoebox

Default Turn Signal Junction Block Confusion

Ok, the installation of all the new wiring harnesses in my '51 Tudor is going pretty smoothly, HOWEVER I have a number of wires that the diagrams simply say "To turn signal junction block" but there is NO diagram of the ins and outs of this block. I know it's a long shot but wondering if anyone has a pic of this block (with wires) or could sketch it? Any diagrams out there that say '49-'51 turn signal diagram show '49-'50, this is a '51 only thing. The attached pic of this block shows that the upper 4 holes are "conjoined" so that makes things more interesting. Electrically speaking, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer,... any insight most welcome. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1401.jpg (29.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1399.jpg (57.4 KB, 33 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Turn Signal Junction Block Confusion

If you can imagine that block bent back on itself so you can see both ends at the same time this diagram might be helpful. It's for a 57 but on those models the flashers were normally included as standard. There appear to be 2 blocks. One is on the inner fender I can't remember where the other one is.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-195.jpg

Here is a close up of the block. The black wire from the flasher unit goes to one of the single straight through terminals. The blue wire goes into the other end of the same terminal and feeds the indicator switch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg connector.jpg (89.6 KB, 163 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Shoebox

Thanks Mart for the diagram, I'll study it a bit and see if I can relate it to my situation. I admit, if I were completely clear on the power "flow chart" I could figure it out. I mean from where is the power supplied to the turn signal system, from the TS switch, from the flasher? or? Thanks.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #4
bobH

There ought to be an original Ford diagram posted 'somewhere'. I had (or have) the original Ford diagram (if I could find it?), and I know it got posted on BillB's site many years ago. I've run across the posting from time to time, and I would think it could be found. The diagram came with the TS kit that was available from your local Ford dealer, back when these cars were new. (49-51)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #5
petehoovie

Maybe, this?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 02-10-2023 at 02:17 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
Mart

power feed comes from the acc terminal on the ignition switch along an orange and yellow wire. It passes through the fuse and feeds the flasher unit. The flasher unit then feeds the directional switch via the terminal block along black and then blue wire. the Note the flasher doesn't flash until the switch sends a feed to one side of the indicators or the other.

See if you can then trace it from there.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:55 PM   #7
petehoovie

And, then there is this diagram >

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 02-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
rotorwrench

The terminal block in post #1 is the type with a pair of twin sockets and four independent sockets. This shows in the diagram. Diagrams are on the VanPelt Sales web site under drawings/electrical for reference. The twin sockets can be fed by one wire with two wires on the output end. Ford made these sockets in various configurations such as single row and double row like the one pictured. The Mercury cars also used them and they came with turn signals as standard equipment so those diagrams can also be of some reference. Turn signals were optional on Fords so not all diagrams have them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #9
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Maybe, this?

Thanks but no, that is the 49-51 diagram that SHOWS 49-50, 51 is a different dash.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 03:42 PM   #10
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The terminal block in post #1 is the type with a pair of twin sockets and four independent sockets. This shows in the diagram. Diagrams are on the VanPelt Sales web site under drawings/electrical for reference. The twin sockets can be fed by one wire with two wires on the output end. Ford made these sockets in various configurations such as single row and double row like the one pictured. The Mercury cars also used them and they came with turn signals as standard equipment so those diagrams can also be of some reference. Turn signals were optional on Fords so not all diagrams have them.

Thanks Rotor, I did figure out those terminal blocks with the twin & single sockets when doing the front parking/turn signal crossover wires, which are on the main schematic.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 03:44 PM   #11
paul2748

Is this junction block mounted on the inner fender panel or there abouts? If so this may help. From what I see, three are joined and there are two singles.

Based on my experiences, the ones that are joined as follows:
1. Headlight high beam
2. Headlight low beam
3. Parking lights

The two singles are for the signal lights, one for each side.

Ford has used these blocks for a number of years and look like the same on my 54 Victoria and 56 Bird.

For the joined ones, there is one wire in coming from the harness and two going out to a light on each side of the car.

On the singles, one in from the harness, one out to the bulb

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

I would surmise that 51 was the first year Ford considered signal lights more or less to be standard so the 51 junction block would be different from 49/50.

Last edited by paul2748; 02-10-2023 at 03:54 PM.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #12
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
There ought to be an original Ford diagram posted 'somewhere'. I had (or have) the original Ford diagram (if I could find it?), and I know it got posted on BillB's site many years ago. I've run across the posting from time to time, and I would think it could be found. The diagram came with the TS kit that was available from your local Ford dealer, back when these cars were new. (49-51)

I agree bobH, and I'm looking all over. Kinda funny, over on the HAMB there are a ton of '51 turnsignal diagram requests, and most answers refer to diagrams that show everything but.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 04:04 PM   #13
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Is this junction block mounted on the inner fender panel or there abouts? If so this may help. From what I see, three are joined and there are two singles.

Based on my experiences, the ones that are joined as follows:
1. Headlight high beam
2. Headlight low beam
3. Parking lights

The two singles are for the signal lights, one for each side.

Ford has used these blocks for a number of years and look like the same on my 54 Victoria and 56 Bird.

For the joined ones, there is one wire in coming from the harness and two going out to a light on each side of the car.

On the singles, one in from the harness, one out to the bulb

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

I would surmise that 51 was the first year Ford considered signal lights more or less to be standard so the 51 junction block would be different from 49/50.

Paul, the block(s) you mention are on the LH and RH sides of the radiator bulkhead and are wired as you mention. The block I'm working out is under the dash. Thanks for the input.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 04:10 PM   #14
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
power feed comes from the acc terminal on the ignition switch along an orange and yellow wire. It passes through the fuse and feeds the flasher unit. The flasher unit then feeds the directional switch via the terminal block along black and then blue wire. the Note the flasher doesn't flash until the switch sends a feed to one side of the indicators or the other.

See if you can then trace it from there.

Great info Mart! Referencing the pic of the block in my first post, do you think the feed to the directional switch goes into one of the "double sockets"?

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

Old 02-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #16
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Great info Mart! Referencing the pic of the block in my first post, do you think the feed to the directional switch goes into one of the "double sockets"?
No. In one end of one of the singles and out the other end of the same tube.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:55 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Ford would run the harness down the left side to the first terminal block for headlight, park light, and horn. They then have the cross over from one side to the other terminal block. Headlights will both be on at the same time so they will have cross overs for low beam and high beam circuits. The horns have a cross over for both to operate at the same time. Park lamps are separate from head lamps but would have a cross over to function both. The turn signals are separate so they have their own wires for each side. It would basically be one wire for left and one for right on them.

This link is to VanPelt Sales. the 1951 Mercury and the 1952 Ford have turn signal circuits.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...950-51merc.jpg

The Mercury has a terminal block hanging from a wire next to the steering colomn for the turn signal stuff to connect to but I don't know what the Ford had in 1951. It was likely supplied in a kit for dealers to install per customer request.

This is for 1952 Ford car. It might match up better.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...wiring1952.jpg

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-10-2023 at 07:26 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:30 PM   #18
petehoovie

Old 02-10-2023, 08:33 PM   #19
Shoebox

THANK YOU SO MUCH to all who responded and provided diagrams and such which helped me a bunch. I did contact the guys at Shoebox Central (30 min. before they closed) and asked if they could pull the diagram sheet that comes with their column turn signal harness, take a pic of it and email to me. They did,.... and it answered any remaining questions I had. Got it all sorted out!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 02-20-2023, 01:49 PM   #20
ScooterY

Does this help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2169.jpg (92.2 KB, 28 views)
ScooterY is offline   Reply With Quote