Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default A very belated introduction

After reading Old Henry's post Live and Let Live, with everyone's explanations of where they fit into his categories, it occurs to me that I probably never did properly introduce myself to you guys on the Barn. As I very recently faced a medical issue of serious consequence, and feeling very mortal, I now offer my small story of who I am and where I think I fit into the barn:

I was a poor kid, having to wrench on my own beaters, and being too dumb to realize that a greenie shouldn't tackle busted axles and cluster gears without help, I got to know the junk yard gurus fairly well while learning about left handed monkey wrenches.

Fast forward through Navy, Wedding Bells, Kids, and Careers, all the while having time and money only to keep Brand X cars running, and then finally, time for a hobby FORD! A long search for a '39 Convertible coupe being fruitless, I found my love in a '38 of the same model, and I'll defend my choice over the '39 till I die!

I was so green initially, I thought I'd be able to find a mechanic to keep my Ford on the road. NOT. Apparently, these experts all work for Nick Alexander or Jay Leno. I was in deep, and had to learn fast. I began accumulating as much written material as I could find that pertained to the upkeep of my Ford, and while I was at it, to learn about the man who built it.

My car was what is referred to as an older restoration, and had been confined to local errands and parades for the previous 30 years. It required much work to make it roadworthy, each project being researched from my books. My joining the V8 Club should have helped, but in the end, wasn't much help in the wrenching department. I assembled a basic road kit of parts and tools, and took my Ford cross country a few times, always keeping to the back roads. One trip took over a month, just me and my Ford, and I was never happier in my life.

My passion is as stated by the V8 Club, Restoration and Preservation. It doesn't get any more complicated than that, although I think everyone deserves to personalize his car to his liking. I like the 1940 pedal pads, so I use them instead of the 1938 pads, I have dual exhaust, and mechanical brake floaters, and a 4 lb radiator cap. Oh yes, I have an electric fuel pump and an Optima battery in a Ford Script battery case.

I became a Judge for the Club to learn what was correct for my car, and It was very enjoyable to replace incorrect items along the way with correct items, although my car will never be point judged. It has won 1st place multiple times in the V8 Touring Class, but that's more of a popularity contest than anything else.

My Ford sits unnattended now, my health and that of my wife being such that I'm afraid my wanderlust days are gone, not to return. My learned skills are now devoted to helping others here on the Barn and on the V8 Forum. It is my fervent desire to bring a chuckle along with some good advice, and although I'm not always right, I'm still learning myself, and can maybe set it right with my next answer. That's my story, and I'm sorry to be so late in the telling.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: A very belated introduction

Thanks Alan, I enjoyed the read. I hope your health situation improves so you can drop the top and cruise, and continue to contribute to the FordBarn for a long time. Vic
Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
flatjack9

Glad you took the time for the intro. Always helps to know a little about the person who is posting.
flatjack9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Royal Ryser

Alan, thanks for the "intro". It was great. I fit right in there with much of what you did and said. Now, the years have krept up and my wife and I can no longer do many of the things we used to (never mind what's the 1st thing to go!!). Still, we like old cars and manage to meet and travel with other old car nuts in the Veteran Motor Car Club of America. It's all still fun.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
moonshine runner

Howdy Alan!

Wow, thank you for sharing this! And as always, thank you for all your help and direction here on the barn my friend!!

Kevin

Henry Ford.
moonshine runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
B-O-B

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Ford38V8 thanks for the info & thank you for your service. i kinda resemble your story also growing up 1 of 9 on the farm.
Did you ever hear of Fortado bros. in the bay area. They are deceased now but had a rep for building flatheads. They built the 36LB in my 34 but that was before I bought it. If you never met them that is too bad as I think they would have helped you out. I tried to get some history on them but never could.
Ditto what Vic just posted .
B-O-B
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

'38,
I've had 2 brushes with mortality in the last ten years. Thank you for
your intro , the technical and social aspects of the Barn are inseparable.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
mrmoose

Alan, you are not late at all. Thank you.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
ford38v8

Hi Bob, I never met them, but did use their service once to replace the center bearing in my torque tube. I was sorry to not have seen it happen or to have met them, just dropped off my tube/drive shaft one day and picked it up the next. One of their guys actually did the job anyway.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

I always read your posts Alan,i don't always agree with you but you are very sharp on old fords,thats the way life goes not everyone always agrees with one another, but keep them coming and pics too. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
super flat

Alan, I always read your posts and what a great intro!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Joe AZ

Alan.....I enjoy reading your posts and feel you bring a lot to "The Barn". I hope your health improves, after all, we're all mortal here. It's all about helping each other out. And you're doing that!
Thanks for the introduction!
Joe
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #13
Old Henry

It's always good to be able to put a real person behind a pseudonym. Thanks for the introduction. It will give us fodder for your apparently imminent eulogy.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks for introduction, straight from the heart, God Bless
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #15
Lawson Cox

Alan: While being somewhat in the same boat, I too try to keep on keeping on, and staying as active as my health permits. Thanks for the introduction, it was great. I enjoy your posts, so keep them coming. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #16
Shadetree

Alan,
A great introduction, one to which a lot of us can relate. As we grow older the health issues become greater. Just keep on keepin' on....

Bud Reynolds
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #17
felix37

Thanks for the introduction! It's always nice to know more about the people we interact with on the barn. I always enjoy your contributions.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #18
Fredb_

Thanks Alan. I too have a 38 (hard top fordor). What can you tell me about the brake modification? I want to keep my mechanical, but they need some help. Thanks Fred.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

Thanks for a nice intro Alan. It just may have been me who talked you into coming over from the V-8 Club forum to check out Fordbarn . Anyway, it's good to have you on both forums. Also, thanks for that cup of coffee you bought me while gassing up on the "Loneliest Highway" in Nevada back in 2010. I think that kept me awake until I got to my destination in CA that night .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #20
ford38v8

Hi Fred, My brake story is a long one, starting with wrong springs and stretched cables. After replacing all components with NOS, and still having difficulty maintaining adjustments, I happened upon a set of floaters at a swap meet. I never found out who the manufacturer was, but the installation was straight forward, taking just a few hours to completion. The results were amazing, to say the very least.

Now, I know that Flathead Ted makes floaters, but the '37-'38 system is not compatible with his product, though he could very easily produce for these models also. The floaters I have consist of a center section with a star adjuster, which operates the left and right threaded rods. The entire unit floats within the original Ford wedge chamber, and is adjusted by a brake spoon as is the '49 Ford. This is truly a floater system, which enhances the Ford Self Energizing system, whereby the forward motion of one shoe energizes the second shoe, requiring considerably less pedal pressure to stop the car.

Installation goes as follows: Drums off, Upper brake springs off, crank the square head adjuster all the way through the front of the backing plate, which pops off the dust cover. The wedges come out, and the floaters are assembled in place, the shoes held together now by a single 1939 spring on top, and the original 1938 springs on the bottom. The dust cover is replaced inside, and the square head adjuster is cut from the wedge, to be reinstalled from the rear of the backing plate, making the installation undetectable to the most savvy judge on the field. Be aware that the threads are hardened and very clean, so use a dab of thread sealant to prevent the loss of these adjuster heads on the highway due to vibration.

No more guessing which way the brakes will pull when I step on the pedal, the car stops straight and true every time. I've driven through 17 states and a bit of Canada with the floaters, and have readjusted just twice due to normal shoe wear. Oh, yes, shoes? bonded composite, not woven. You can't really improve on "stops on a dime", so forget the woven variety.