Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
psogden

Default Getting fuel from tank to fuel pump

Have a stock 1946 Mercury and recently installed a new steel fuel line but did not want to fatigue my starter motor pumping fuel from tank to carburetor. Went on the forum to get ideas about how to draw fuel from the tank to the fuel pump—but found none.

Now, will pass along a discovery I made. Used a Pump-A-Way which I purchased from Home Depot a couple of years ago for sucking the remaining water out of the bottom of my hot tub before cleaning it. It is a very efficient hand operated suction pump about the size of a bike tire pump.

Removed the cap from the suction side of the pump (which is removable for cleaning the unit) and inserted a lid from a 1 gallon Clorox jug into the opening after drilling a 3/8” hole in the lid. The lid fits perfectly into the opening of the pump. I then slid an 18” piece of clear ¼” fuel hose onto the end of my new fuel line at the dash and clamped.

I inserted the other end of the ¼” hose into the 3/8” hole in the Clorox lid. Found tighter connections can be achieved by wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the Clorox lid and the fuel hose at the Clorox lid side before inserting into the lid. I then operated the pump.

Required about 10 strokes to draw gasoline from the tank into the clear fuel line and no gas went into the hand pump (which is made to pump water). Then I proceeded to connect the stock fuel hose to my new line and fuel pump. I primed the carb with a bit of gasoline & reinstalled air cleaner. Then hit the starter button. Required minimal cranking to start up car because the fuel pump was already primed and full of gas. The “gap” between the fuel pump and carb filled quickly and the engine started right away.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
psogden

Default Re: Getting fuel from tank to fuel pump

I've found you have to crank a lot to get fuel from tank to pump--and this does work-- but puts a lot of stress on starter. My suction pump method avoids this.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
jack orchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Unless I am missing something, you could have just poured a little gas down the carb to "prime it". Engine would start and your fuel pump would draw gas from the gas tank.
I agree, but maybe you and me are both missing something.,...jack
Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
RalphG

Another cheaper method, and I know this works, get somebody with good lung capacity to blow into the tank and pressurize it while you crank the starter. That has worked for me.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Unless I am missing something, you could have just poured a little gas down the carb to "prime it". Engine would start and your fuel pump would draw gas from the gas tank.
Perfect!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
G.M.

Put a rag over the fuel fill, loosen the fuel line on the carb and with
your mouth fill the tank with air. Worked every time I replaced a fuel
pump on the road. G.M.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
oldford2

I think his fuel fill is about 5" down inside the fender so unless you had lips 5" long, there is no way to "blow in the fuel filler pipe". I go with the folks that said to just fill the carb bowl. Keep things simple.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

On a 46 there's a bowl vent sticking into the carb throat up top. I fill the bowl through that. With full bowl it will start normally and with engine running it should be able to get the lines filled before the priming gas runs out.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Don

Any one ever think of using a primer bulb from a boat supply,it has 2 check valves and fuel proof rubber.,could put in line and leave it there,have a vapor lock ,just give it a Couple squeezes,or use to fill carb after setting a long time.Don
Old 08-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by psogden View Post
I've found you have to crank a lot to get fuel from tank to pump--and this does work-- but puts a lot of stress on starter. My suction pump method avoids this.
Good idea. Cranking and cranking on an engine is really hard on it. Having a mechanical pump with the glass bowl helps after a engine has been sitting awhile.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Capt Kirk

My starter is many decades old, it works great and I don't think they're "fragile". I squirt gas in the carb and let it run through that till it dies. Another squirt and that's usually enough to keep it running. Mine likes choke to.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Steves46

How about installing a low pressure electric fuel pump and use to prime the carb.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
JT FORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
On a 46 there's a bowl vent sticking into the carb throat up top. I fill the bowl through that. With full bowl it will start normally and with engine running it should be able to get the lines filled before the priming gas runs out.
This works great! I use a plastic squrt bottle, like for catsup or musturd bottle, only use a clear one. Stick the end into the vent pipe and slowly squirt the gas in. Start right up.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #14
paul2748

Ditto

Quote:
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Barlea

I used a bus pump that has it's glass sediment bowl above the diaphragm and valves. It is always primed and my 35 1 1/2 Ton (engine factory rebuilt in Oct '47) started in 7 seconds after six months of Alberta winter. No BS!
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
sortkaffekop

My 53 Ford Vedette has a hand primer pump in the mechanical fuel pump.
sortkaffekop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
psogden

I didn't think my post would generate so much interest but good discussion.
What about situation where you've installed a new fuel pump and a new fuel line from tank? You have to pull a lot of fuel from tank to carb. You "prime" carb & hit the starter. Engine runs for a few seconds. Think it would take a lot of carb priminga & engine startinga to draw fuel from tank, then to pump, then to carb. Much of this is avoided by manually sucking fuel as far as fuel pump. As to toughness of starter motor, I recall reading something in the past that warns to limit running starter motor for more than 15 or 20 seconds of continuous cranking with out resting for awhile or you run the risk of burning out the starter.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by psogden View Post
What about situation where you've installed a new fuel pump and a new fuel line from tank? You have to pull a lot of fuel from tank to carb.
You've been given some pretty good real-world advice above. Have YOU given much thought as to just how much fuel it really takes to fill your 1/4" ID fuel line? Generously figuring that line to be 10 feet long from tank to carb, that's 120". 120" of 1/4" fuel line contains a volume of 5.89 cubic inches. That's only 2.44% of a gallon, or more accurately, 3.264 fluid ounces.........just over 1/4 the volume of a Coke can. You're probably worrying about a problem that really doesn't exist. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #19
Bob Greenwall

After the episode of the wife pumping the gas instead of the brakes to help me bleed the brakes...I bought a brake bleeder kit you operate by hand at the wheel. It worked perfectly for bringing up gas from the tank to the engine on my 52 Merc.
Bob Greenwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Barlea

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You've been given some pretty good real-world advice above. Have YOU given much thought as to just how much fuel it really takes to fill your 1/4" ID fuel line? Generously figuring that line to be 10 feet long from tank to carb, that's 120". 120" of 1/4" fuel line contains a volume of 5.89 cubic inches. That's only 2.44% of a gallon, or more accurately, 3.264 fluid ounces.........just over 1/4 the volume of a Coke can. You're probably worrying about a problem that really doesn't exist. DD
Docs did a fluorcentisis on me yesterday morning and siphoned 1620 ml of fluid .out of my chest, that's more than 1 1/2 litres. 1/4 of a coke can ain't much to fuss about. Make up one of those pumps with the bowl on top and notice how it keeps prime! What you got to lose? Hard starting after sitting a while for one thing. I bet every '53 '54 Ford and Mercury truck of any size came equipped with one in Canada. I was also hard to start when overfull, but I feel 300% better today.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote