Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
Road Journey

Default 29 A Battery Cables

Looking over my battery cables on 29 6 volt Model A, wiring battery disconnect switch. What can someone tell me about the proper gauge, particularly if I were to use a braided cable with lugs on both ends (not the battery post clamps)?

Thanks.
Road Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Pilotdave

Default Re: 29 A Battery Cables

Here's a previous thread on the topic: https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...ery+cable+size
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Dave Young

I'm in the process of installing a battery disconnect switch on my 29 Tudor. I sat and read every post on the subject by using the search. At first, the many varying opinions made it seem like rocket science to me, but I kept at it until it all came into focus.

I had already purchased what amounts to a 'kit' from Snyder's. That is, the switch, the mounting bracket and the extra short cable. But after reading all the posts, it was clear that it was better to install the switch in the positive or ground side, so another rethink was in order.

I'm still intending to install the switch under the hood by installing it to the lower starter bolt but to do that I need another (24") cable. Trying to find one at local parts stores was a waste of time. But now, I've found a seller on eBay who will supply any cable you want, in any length and with whatever fittings you want at either end. I don't know how to patch in the link here, but their name is: gaugewireandcable

I'm going to order a 1/0 gauge AWG copper battery cable, 24" long with a 3/8" ring terminal at one end and a top battery post connector on the other end.

Their prices are very reasonable. The quality sounds great, so does their service.

Check it out .... Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
cpf240

Dave Young - one option is to check with your local auto parts stores, especially the older, family-run shops. Many of them can make cables for you on the spot.

That is what I did when I installed a disconnect switch, as well as when my truck needed new cables.
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Dave Young

cpf240 ... yeah, I checked with NAPPA, Advance Auto and one other. They acted like I was from Mars. Had no idea what I was talking about. Don't know of any family owned shops around here but that sounds like a good idea. Not just for this, but for the many items I suspect I'll be looking for in the near future. Us newbies have so much to learn, so little time ...

Dave
Dave Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
d.

check your local welding supply shop; they can make up whatever length and end configuration that you need, in any guage required, all clamped, soldered and ready to go. With 6v. you are probably looking at 0 or even 00 guage cable.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote