Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
LQQKER

Default 59ab ticking noise

Fresh rebuild, all new valve train components, 150 miles max.

Schneider 3/4 cam w/adjustable lifters. Stock fuel pump with electric pump @ tank. Stock and aluminum intakes same "thickness" at the fuel pump stand so I used the existing pump rod.

Ticking noise as engine gets warm. Removed intake and checked all valve clearances twice....all within spec. Really thought the noise was on the right bank and was surprised to see all clearances ok. Thought an adjusting screw backed itself in. The lifter galley, clip on oil deflectors (?) are tight.

All ex manifold bolts are tight and no signs of ex leakage. Putting some marvel mystery oil on the intakes valve guides. Through spark plug hole, trying to get some MMO on the exhaust stems when the valve is open....rotating by hand. Maybe a valve hanging open when hot? A slight erratic miss when driving. Spark plugs all look good.

Will electric pump push gas through the stock pump if the push rod is temporarily removed ?

Suggestions before re assembling the engine.

Thanks
LQQKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
Kerk

Smile Re: 59ab ticking noise

Did you shave the heads? Had a friend who had a 40 with ticking when hot. It turned out to be there was NOT enough clearanceand the valves were hitting the heads after it got completely warmed up. Changed the heads -- Problem solved! Just a thought Discovered it by comparing heads to a pair I had, Good luck .. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
LQQKER

Default Re: 59ab ticking noise

Aluminum heads were clayed prior to assembly and all valve and piston clearances were good
Old 10-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Mart

Don't know about the ticking noise, but yes, an electric pump will push through a mechanical pump (I do this on my car for priming).

Whether running without a push rod is a good idea is another question. I remember reading that it can cause a problem with oil pressure, but can't remember if it is on the early or later (8BA type) motors.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
LQQKER

Just run without the pushrod for a few miles. Eliminate one potential source. Thanks.