Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Next move??

SO, I drilled the holes I. The backs of the caps to use the compressed air to pop the caps off the shell’s, all three have rust at points around the inside perimeter of the shells and didn’t allow the pressure to pop the caps loose, SO what’s the next best way to remove the Stainless Steel caps now???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1393D4D-3A3B-450C-B509-8FEF6721501C.jpg (71.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg EE46BF56-FD58-4551-A23F-897E52028A9B.jpg (72.3 KB, 96 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
26 lakes

Default Re: Next move??

I would put them in your wifes oven and heat them up. Make that metal move a little bit. Let them cool down/ shrink down and try popping them off again.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
tubman

If rust is the problem, I'd soak them in "Evapo-Rust" for a couple of days. It's the least invasive process I can think of.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
deuce5wndw

I drill the hole close to the outside edge and use a blow nozzle with a rubber tip to seal tight. Have never failed to pop off.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
I drill the hole close to the outside edge and use a blow nozzle with a rubber tip to seal tight. Have never failed to pop off.
Dude......not to be a smart ass BUT read my post!!! The inside edge of the shells are rusted through in one, two, three places and WILL NOT allow ANY air Pressure to build up behind the cap!!! THUS it just blew through the rusted through spots on the shell!!!! I’d like not to cut the shells BUT I think that’s the only way and not mess up the SS caps!!!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:00 PM   #6
40cpe

Now that we know you had rust THROUGH preventing air pressure build-up, if the holes aren't too large i would consider cleaning the backside at the penetration sites and use an epoxy to plug the holes to get more air pressure.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #7
nickthebandit

You have a choice, sacrifice the stainless part of the cap, or the metal part. since you want to restore the stainless part, it should be a no-brainer. I know that this means added expense to buy more hubcaps, but would you restore the stainless, and re-install the stainless on the steel part of the hub-caps that were sub-standard. ?
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Dude......not to be a smart ass BUT read my post!!! The inside edge of the shells are rusted through in one, two, three places and WILL NOT allow ANY air Pressure to build up behind the cap!!! THUS it just blew through the rusted through spots on the shell!!!! I’d like not to cut the shells BUT I think that’s the only way and not mess up the SS caps!!!
Nah you're not a SMART ASS I just didn't read close enough! Those are rare caps so I would save the stainless and replace the steel inner. As a matter of fact I think I have a couple. Just trying to help!
Dale
Old 02-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #9
deuce5wndw

Notice this one has some holes rusted in it also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09611.JPG (131.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09612.JPG (139.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
rockfla

Thanks Dale.....one of the four was “completely” rusted almost all the around so the SS cap came right off. Two of the remaining shells are really pretty good and the rusted spots could be welded and fix (I think) fairly easy??? SO I hate to cut them, the last one I don’t think is any great loss IF I had to cut it!!! SO I may try the “epoxy” suggestion on the two and cut the third!!!
Old 02-07-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
deuce5wndw

You're welcome. As I'm sure you know that Ford Mercury cap is tough to find as opposed to the regular Mercury cap as shown in my photo.
Dale
Old 02-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
rockfla

Quote:
You're welcome. As I'm sure you know that Ford Mercury cap is tough to find as opposed to the regular Mercury cap as shown in my photo.
Dale
Dale,
Yes I do, this is my second set. We have a set on our 10/38 produced Town Sedan and I just happened upon this set a few weeks ago!! Only the third “Full” set we’ve had the opportunity to buy in 46 years. This is third set out of the first two. The first set my Dad unfortunately let pass back in 1974!!!
Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
deuce5wndw

Just a quick question, are the steel shells the same on both early and late caps?
Dale
Old 02-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #14
rockfla

Quote:
Just a quick question, are the steel shells the same on both early and late caps?
Dale
At this point, I cannot tell you for sure? I have a standard Mercury 8 cap on the spare in the Sedan and was going to use that for the one Cap I have that basically had NO shell so will let you know when that time comes!! I’ve worked that cap trying to get it ready for sanding and buffing BUT still need to get the other three off and the same treatment SO.......time!!!! This is the one I have worked so far.....both under the Ford and Mercury were smashed in and scratched so getting close with it!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B543AA73-B47A-46C1-BD22-F5C4C4DA652F.jpg (72.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg AB2FD883-83FE-4001-AA6E-11910AE4222B.jpg (76.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 66405B4E-4416-4E9C-9677-514F19E5334A.jpg (53.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
rockfla

Quote:
Dale
At this point, I cannot tell you for sure? I have a standard Mercury 8 cap on the spare in the Sedan and was going to use that for the one Cap I have that basically had NO shell so will let you know when that time comes!! I’ve worked that cap trying to get it ready for sanding and buffing BUT still need to get the other three off and the same treatment SO.......time!!!! This is the one I have worked so far.....both under the Ford and Mercury were smashed in and scratched so getting close with it!!!! Don’t know why up loads from my phone are sideways??
Old 02-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
Will D

Coming along nicely.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210207_085442.jpg (41.2 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 20210207_085419.jpg (44.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 20210207_085350.jpg (31.8 KB, 205 views)
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #17
KiWinUS

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgCEBc&adurl=
How about using one of there tire bead blasters maybe make an adapter out of a small bucket to the back of your hubcap with the hubcap sitting on a bucket so it blows the stainless into the bucket or similar. These things work great. Good luck.
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #18
deuce5wndw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
At this point, I cannot tell you for sure? I have a standard Mercury 8 cap on the spare in the Sedan and was going to use that for the one Cap I have that basically had NO shell so will let you know when that time comes!! I’ve worked that cap trying to get it ready for sanding and buffing BUT still need to get the other three off and the same treatment SO.......time!!!! This is the one I have worked so far.....both under the Ford and Mercury were smashed in and scratched so getting close with it!!!! Don’t know why up loads from my phone are sideways??
Nice job on the cap! If they are like the standard Mercury caps the gauge is lighter than the other caps I've done. Keep in mind I have those two shells if you need them down the road.
Dale
Old 02-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #19
rockfla

Quote:
Nice job on the cap! If they are like the standard Mercury caps the gauge is lighter than the other caps I've done. Keep in mind I have those two shells if you need them down the road.
Dale
Dale, hit me on my email and let’s see what we can work out!!!! [email protected]!!!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #20
hotcoupe

You have gotten some good advice as far as getting the skin off, i'd like to share one of my methods to get a perfect, distortion free reflective surface on a round or domed part. I use stones ranging from (approx) 1000 grit (hard black Arkansas) to 400 grit (fine India) ,and i have the stones water jet cut to a slightly larger radius than the part that i am working on. This curved surface allows you to all the minute highs and lows. The hubcap pictured has been metal worked and polished with abrasives, it still needs to be buffed. Hope this helps.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote