Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Front Spring Bar #A-5458

I am replacing the front spring on my 1931 Model A. There is a very deep depression in this casting (bar) that looks like there could have been a rubber bushing installed. There was a bushing for 1932-34 but there is no listing for the Model A. Why is there such a deep hole in this part? Should I just install a thin pad between this part a the spring?

Also on part no. A-5461 (crank bearing) there is also a depression that seems to have had some kind of plastic or fiber that may have been used to stop squeaks. The parts book does not show any soft parts for the Model A. Should I install anything between these parts and the front spring? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Front Spring Bar #A-5458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I am replacing the front spring on my 1931 Model A. There is a very deep depression in this casting (bar) that looks like there could have been a rubber bushing installed. There was a bushing for 1932-34 but there is no listing for the Model A. Why is there such a deep hole in this part? Should I just install a thin pad between this part a the spring?

The "hole" is there to accept the bolt and nut for which holds the front spring together...no "rubber bushing" needed here.

Also on part no. A-5461 (crank bearing) there is also a depression that seems to have had some kind of plastic or fiber that may have been used to stop squeaks. The parts book does not show any soft parts for the Model A. Should I install anything between these parts and the front spring?

NO.

Ed
Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Front Spring Bar #A-5458

Hello Steve, thanks for the input. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote