Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Body blocks identification

I have a pair of body blocks I am trying to identify. I can't remember where I got them or where they are used. I am pasting a pictures of them in below along with the page from Les Andrew's book showing phaeton body block. The blocks are 6" long, 1 3/4" wide and 1 3/16" high. I am hoping they are for a 28/29 phaeton as that is what I need them for - block set 8 (page 1 -28) in Les Andrew's book. They look like the block set 8, but he gives no dimensions. I have all the other blocks except the very back set (#9). I hate to purchase a complete set when I only need the back pair (#9) and maybe pair #8 if the blocks in the picture are not the right ones of my 29 phaeton.

Second question: Les' book seems to indicate that there are no rubber pads used on the front body blocks. All the other blocks are shown to use rubber pads. Is that right?
Thanks for any help.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: Body blocks identification

No one has responded, so I'll try again. Does anyone know if rubber body pads are used on the front body blocks on 28/29 model A's? It seems like they would be used, but none are shown in Les Andrew's book.
Rusty Nelson
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Hunter

Hi Rusty,

I used them with the front body blocks. You will need them to help in the body alignment process. I had to try ones of various thickness in order to align everything using the procedure articulated by Marco on his website. I recall seeing an original body block to which one was attached.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
wrndln

Hunter,
The front body blocks, if I remember correctly, slide into the slot between the bottom subrail extension metal and the top of the subrail extension. I remember I had to "adjust slightly" the front body blocks to get them to fit in the slot of the subrail extensions. If what I remember is correct, how is the rubber material "tacked" or installed under the blocks. Maybe they are just slipped under and held with the bolts. Do you remember if you made the rubber pads the shape of the wood body blocks (long and irregular shaped) or just a smaller rectangular rubber piece that fit under the two back bolts and a small piece under the front bolt.
Thanks for the response.
Rusty Nelson
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Does anyone know the "A" part number for these body pads?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Hunter

Rusty,

Your memory is correct. The wood blocks by themselves fill the space. In my case they are simply held in place by the bolts. The upside to not tacking them to anything is that once you have the body on it is likely that you may have to add/remove them to achieve the correct body alignment. So you can pull the bolts out and add/remove as needed. On one side of my car (29 Coupe) I did have to add an additional piece under either the front or rear bolts to adjust the tilt of the cowl (see Marco's website).

Hope this helps you - Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote