Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Overkill-F1

Default Trim Ends of Cork Pan Gaskets?

The ends of my pan gaskets are long enough to sit on the ends of the rope seals. Should I trim the gaskets? (Sorry for the dumb question.)
I had thought the ends of the rope seals were supposed to butt up together, end to end, not have the pan gasket between the rope ends.
The rope seals were pressed into the retainers and trimmed about 1/16" proud of the retainers.
Ron Hollerman's book suggests gasket sealer on the pan and grease on the engine block, which sounds like good advice.
'52 C1BA/8RT, Thanks Terry
Overkill-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Trim Ends of Cork Pan Gaskets?

I'm not the most experienced builder, but I did cut the gasket just before the rope seal and left the rope seals proud as you did. A dab of silicone on the seal ends and a little where the gasket meets the seal worked for me. No leaks.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
tubman

This has been an ongoing question for years. I don't have an answer, but I do have another question. Why would the manufacturers leave a piece that needed to be trimmed on an otherwise precision cut gasket? (Actually, I do have my own private answer.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #4
40cpe

My theory: If, IF, the seal ends are left short enough that they can be pushed completely back into the retainer when the pan is tightened with the gasket between the ends, everything will be fine. If the proud ends of the seal aren't pushed back into the retainer, and the gasket won't compress, there will be a void just outside the seal for oil to escape between the gasket and the pan/block surface. Just my opinion. I don't do this multiple times a yearto try it different ways.

Last edited by 40cpe; 03-04-2020 at 05:38 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Kurt in NJ

I was able to take apart 2 low mileage engines that probably never had the pan off, the gasket went 1/2 the way across the rope seal, and the tabs at the rear are under the strip around the rear main cap
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Overkill-F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
(Actually, I do have my own private answer.)
That sounds interesting !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
My theory: If, IF, the seal ends are left short enough that they can be pushed completely back into the retainer when the pan is tightened with the gasket between the ends, everything will be fine. If the proud ends of the seal aren't pushed back into the retainer...
The white front rope seal does stick up a little more and it may be better to trim the gasket. This rope is quite stiff and has a black core (rubber?).
The black rear rope ended up trimmed a bit shorter, so maybe leaving the gasket between the rope ends would be better here.
I soaked both ropes, but the black one ended up quite a bit softer than the white one. Terry
Old 03-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Everybody has their own method - and it kind of depends whether or not you're using any of the new/improved BestGasket rear main seals or not. I think the primary reason for the cork extending into the rope seal area was to provide a seal at the junction area (where the cork meets the rope seal. Cork can dry a bit and pull back, so this helps in that regard. Me, I tend to trim it off and I use a quality RTV silicon sealer on the ends of the rope seals and in the area where the now trimmed cork meets the edge of the rope seal. Has worked just fine for me - I don't have any leaks in this area.

Where I have constant issues (and the next time I'm doing it differently) is with the pan breather on the front of the 59AB pan - it will ALWAYS drip oil if left in the stock configuration - kind of a dumb design in my book. Every time I look under my car, I then have to wipe the fricking oil pan off . . . just to make myself feel better! And, you have to keep a drip-pan under the car - Arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhh!

I will probably do a hidden PCV on the next build and weld up the pan - and the steel down-tube from the valley area. The only good news on the pan breather is that it was a natural lubrication device for the area between the front of the engine and the entire K-member . . . prevented a lot of RUST in this area . . . so I guess 'Thanks' Henry!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

Theres a number of ideas on why the gasket is long but what I have been doing for a very long time is simply trim the gasket so that it sits it sits around the seal. In effect a thin section of the pan gasket is now sitting in front of and behind the seal not between. I also use a small amount of silicone sealer on the outer edges of the seal to help fill any gaps between the seal and the pan gasket. This pretty much eliminates any leaks.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
flatjack9

I also have always done what Ronnie does with the gasket.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
billfish

Wouldn't the gasket manufacturer be the best place to get the correct installation instructions?

Some manufacturers want the ends of the rope seal to be proud on the ends and include a measuring gauge in the kit to accomplish this. If this is the case wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the gasket would have to be trimmed where it butts the rope seal?
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

Bored&Stroked - the 59AB oil pan breather modification is nearly the same as with the French Blocks - I welded the breather shut but made a little groove that went back into the oil pan area. I also cut a relief in the end of the vent tube where it meets the pan to assist in any oil going down that tube ends up in the oil pan.

I do not know how much the French block differs from the 59AB in the area tha I modified ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01753.JPG (59.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01754.JPG (61.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01750.JPG (61.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01751.JPG (60.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01748.JPG (61.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01749.JPG (60.5 KB, 29 views)
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish View Post
Wouldn't the gasket manufacturer be the best place to get the correct installation instructions?

Some manufacturers want the ends of the rope seal to be proud on the ends and include a measuring gauge in the kit to accomplish this. If this is the case wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the gasket would have to be trimmed where it butts the rope seal?

The answer to the question is yes trimmed around the seal. It not only works on a stock build it also works at 200 MPH plus. Oh and at well over 6500 RPM for extended periods of time.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #13
Overkill-F1

Thanks for all that helped with this part of my rebuild.
I ended up trimming the gaskets' ends around the front seal and trimmed the back to butt up to the seal. Used Permatex Aviation gasket sealer and a dab of black RTV on the ends of the seals and where the gasket meets the seals.
Thanks again, Terry