Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
brickyard67

Default 31 Ford Coupe how remove doors

do pins drive out from bottom or how stripping for repaint thanks
brickyard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 31 Ford Coupe how remove doors

yes the pins drive out from the bottom. you are better off using a pin press and push them out. if you drive them out, the pin needs to start moving right away or you will mushroom the end of the pin. and they are the sh-t`s to drill out.
I`m not fallowing the stripping.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
larrys40

Depending on what you have (rust , needing blasting etc,) you may want to leave them . As John said the puns can be difficult to deal with.
I just painted a body today I decided to leave the doors on...glad I did.
All the rest if the time I have taken then off . If the don't come with a little heat and persuasion as John indicated you will have to still then out. I prefer to drill half way and try to drive out the weakened pin ...many times that does it
Best of luck
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Capitals, commas, and periods go a long way to make sense of what is being said or asked. Yes, the hinge pins are driven upward from the bottom. Soak them with Kroil and open and close the door to work the Kroil in, then try to tap the pin up.

I've had to grind the round head off, then drill down about 3/4 of the way, using a bit just smaller than the pin diameter, then use a punch to push the pin down and out.

I've had limited success using the hinge tool, but it's worth a try first.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #5
Big hammer

What I did on my L31 Tudor, heat and penetrant oil and after 4 hours fighting I needed a break! I then went and walked around the tractor suppy looking for help. In the tool section there was a bigger hammer than me. I was using a pin punch and a 32 oz hammer that had tried me out. A air hammer set for less than 20$ is what I purchased. I ground down a set smaller than the door pin to push the pin out. I pulled the trigger and the pin jumped out flying up about 4 feet. I finished removing the pins in about 10 min of work as compaired to 4 hours of frustration. Tap tap don't force it get a bigger hammer :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
5window

Oh. I'd try persuasion, before I tried force. Keep in mind these pins may have been there for many years. Lots of soaking in PB Blaster, etc, will never hurt. The pins have a knurled section under the head which may make removal difficult. The hardest part I had was that over the years, there had actually been a shoulder worn into the pin where the hinge halves intersected. If you get these lined up the pin drives out, If you can't find the sweet spot, then you may have to drill. Be really careful drilling the top pins as it's easy to hit the drip rail. Also keep in mind that Henry's originals are NOT 1/4" OD. You may need to get oversize pins (from a good A parts supplier).

Of course, what method you use partly depends on if you are trying to preserve the paint.

It might also be a good time to consider if you want hinge pin mirrors.

Last edited by 5window; 01-22-2017 at 05:32 PM.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote