Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
rosenkranswa

Default Quick question, winter ops

Hope this doesn't open a can of worms, or at least not a big can, but

I see lots of references to always driving our cars during the "off" season to ensure they warm up enough to drive out moisture, etc. from sitting. I do that as long as possible, but once there's salt on the roads I won't take the cars out until we've had a good rain or two. During the couple months or so I won't drive them, I let them warm up at a fast idle in the garage for 15-20 min., run the fuel out of the carb, and tuck them in again for a couple weeks. Never had a problem in many years, but just wondering what folks think is a sufficient run-time to take care of the engine?

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Quick question, winter ops

Just leave it alone till spring is what Ive done with my other cars and my A engine. - run it dry in the fall then disconnect the battery from both terminals, sometimes remove it and bring to the basement, sometime sit sits there all winter. Put it on a 2A charger for 30 min-1hr, hook it back up, usually starts up no issues. Then let it idle for 20 min and make sure oil is reaching everything and no new leaks then its ready for at least a 30 min drive to get moisture driven out.

If you feel you must do something remove the plugs and squirt oil down the cyl and hand crank a revolution or two to recoat the cyl once in the middle of the off season.

My question to you guys who feel the need to run the engine every few weeks while it sits: do you do the same with your push mowers, riding mowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, garden tillers, farm tractors, combines, ATVs, boat engines, modern cars, skidoos, motorcycles, dirtbikes, etc in the winter? Why not? Do you run your snow blowers and snowmobiles in the summer? Why not? They all start up just fine after sitting in the shed for 5 months.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Johns30

I start mine and let it run at a fast idle every couple weeks for 15 minutes or so and drive it up and down the driveway to get the brakes and gears moving a little. Is this necessary? No. Is it worse than letting it sit 4 months? Maybe, maybe not.
Why do I do it, in answer to post #2? Very simple answer - I work 70-80 hours per week in the winter at my job, and it puts a huge smile on my face on a Sunday once in a while to go out to the garage, start it up and hear it run . I'd go stir crazy for 4-5 months if I couldn't get behind the wheel and hear it run...
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I think your fine either way... i do feel having a stat installed helps a lot for the winter warm up.. i agree with a little higher of an idle prob about 800-1000.. it kicks the genny in and heats it up better....
Some of us get or rocks off by hearing and sitting in it,,, even moving it 30 ft in each direction..
I know i do
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
I start mine and let it run at a fast idle every couple weeks for 15 minutes or so and drive it up and down the driveway to get the brakes and gears moving a little. Is this necessary? No. Is it worse than letting it sit 4 months? Maybe, maybe not.
Why do I do it, in answer to post #2? Very simple answer - I work 70-80 hours per week in the winter at my job, and it puts a huge smile on my face on a Sunday once in a while to go out to the garage, start it up and hear it run . I'd go stir crazy for 4-5 months if I couldn't get behind the wheel and hear it run...
oh dont get me wrong i get the stir crazy part, It would be a great time to do all the grease zerks and routine maintenance.

thats why ya gotta get yourself a winter hobby! altho some of my summer hobbies that i say i will do in the winter somehow never happen...(supposed to rebuild a moped engine in the basement- yea that aint happening as of yet. Just wait late Jan Feb or March will get back to our frigid temps and snow and ice again... It always does.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
CarlG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had to put my pickup in off-site storage this winter, primarily due to other needs for my limited garage space. Staging for a kitchen remodel took precidence.

I am about to go stirr crazy not being able to putter around with my pride and joy, and taking it for a short spin every now and then.

There is 18" of snow on the ground, and it was minus 10 degrees (F) this morning. Great time for a trip around the block.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
1crosscut

I don't think it is a question of how long you run it but more how warm you get it.
Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator, remove the radiator cap and drop in a meat thermometer. Let it warm up to lets say 180 degrees and keep it there for a while.
Sit back, drink a cool one and enjoy listening to it purr.....
Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
rosenkranswa

Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought. I am going to add one thing to my routine through - "sit back with a cool one and listen to it run" - that's something worthy of inclusion...

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
3.6rs

My opinion and how I do it ; if you don't drive your car during the winter months, let it sit in the storage and don't start and idle it. It is much better to start and drive it after the season then start it every couple of weeks ! Why would that be good !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
johnsor

You are correct post #9
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
My opinion and how I do it ; if you don't drive your car during the winter months, let it sit in the storage and don't start and idle it. It is much better to start and drive it after the season then start it every couple of weeks ! Why would that be good !
My first Tudor, sat in orchard 15-20 years, little oil in cylinders, tune up dist. and drove it almost daily for two years, then for some ungodly known reason, sold it.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #12
Dodge

If you are going to run it you have to run it long enough to heat the oil up. Don't go by
water temp only. If you don't get the oil hot your doing more harm than good.
IMO
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote