Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
rockfla

Default Made my own.

I thought I would share my tool I made for my front spring restoration project. I didn't have a KR Wilson tool and since the spring was already out of the vehicle, I decided I would make my own and use my 20 ton press for the job. I cut the threads off the bolt and used just the body of the bolt. I then turned 1-3/4" of the shank down to .003 smaller than the OD of the bushing body. Then I machined 3/16" step OR rabbit (if you will) to fit inside the outer body of the bushing where the rubber starts. I then bored a 1/2 hole in the center 3/8" deep to clear the square shank of the stud....THEN drilled and tapped the center for 3/8-24 thread AND now it threaded onto the stud and snugs up against the outer body of the bushing ALL Lined up. It took 2 minutes to press them out!!!! Thanks to guys like "Mart" (and others) here on the barn that are inspirations and teachers to guys like me!!! I am also, SO very thankful to, not only have the facility BUT to have my wife who is very supportive of me having and acquiring the tools I have to do ALL that I need to do!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Springbushtool1.jpg (52.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg springbushtool2.jpg (33.0 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Springbushtool3.jpg (31.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Springbushtool5.jpg (48.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg springbushtool6.jpg (42.7 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Springbushtool4.jpg (28.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Springbushtool7.jpg (30.2 KB, 233 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #2
RKS.PA

Default Re: Made my own.

Wow!! Nice work and bet it's a very satisfying feeling to have done that!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
DavidG

Robert,

Now you have to channel that creativity into making up what you will need for the other half of the job, the installation of a new studded bushing.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Robert,

Now you have to channel that creativity into making up what you will need for the other half of the job, the installation of a new studded bushing.
Yes Sir David, and some sort of fixture to BETTER hold the spring as there is STILL a few things it is hard to do by myself!! My brain is running over time now!!!

GLAD to see it looks as IF you arrived home safely?? I was worried you might hit some pretty in-climate weather?? Time for a much deserved "Rest"!!
Old 04-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #5
cadillac512

Well done. Home-built tools are so satisfying!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
Zeke3

Rockfall, I had been also thinking about making a tool for the job of pressing the new bushings in. I was concerned about pressing them into a 1937 wishbone; I don’t know if I will be able to line that up and hold it to use a hydraulic press for installation. May need a big C clamp, like KRW tool, to press them in. Also, I would have to go to a friend’s shop nearby who has a press.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
flathead48

Great job, Robert.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
cas3

Yup, every growing boy should have a lathe. Nice job there. When you have a press, its especially nice to make the correct size driver on the spot for safe easy pressing.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:47 AM   #9
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Rockfall, I had been also thinking about making a tool for the job of pressing the new bushings in. I was concerned about pressing them into a 1937 wishbone; I don’t know if I will be able to line that up and hold it to use a hydraulic press for installation. May need a big C clamp, like KRW tool, to press them in. Also, I would have to go to a friend’s shop nearby who has a press.
Zeke3
I have an Idea working right now, fortunately in my line of work I have a wide variety of customers that have all kinds of scrap so I will perloin something from one of them. I am thinking on machining a socket affair that slides on over the eye of the spring and is the about .003 bigger in diameter as the bushing eye and has a slot where it slide over the flat of the spring and act as a guide to put the bushing in and press it with my press. I am thinking I might also "ever so slightly" turn a chamfered edge on the bushing to help self alignment in going in the eye.....AND IF need be I have two really really good and sharp machinist that will lend a helping hand (or machine IF need be). I will post what I end up with!!! ALSO, after my first one, I need to make a few small "adjustments/improvements" SO IF you like I will turn you one and send it along IF you like???

THANK YOU for all the kind compliments guys & to 34Fordy for looking out for me!!!
Old 04-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #10
glennpm

Great tool!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #11
danliveshere

Very professional Robert. I won’t describe the goofy backyard ways I’ve gotten these little villlains out�� .
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #12
Mart

I remember taking a vise to the rear axle to replace bushes. Easier than pulling the axle.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:16 PM   #13
Flathead Fever

Good job! I have not tried it yet, but I have a couple of these beefy OTC U-joint presses like the one pictured. I need to make an adapter to slip over that male end to press those original bushings in without damaging the outer thin shell. I have a 40-ton press too just incase I want to damage the bushing even faster than the clamp. I've been looking for a KRW tool for a couple of years without any luck. This project is coming up on my '34 pickup.

I pressed in a lot of modern truck spring bushings at work, and they were easy because the outer metal bushing was so thick, you couldn't damage them, plus they didn't have a stud that you need to position at the correct angle. I haven't done one of the Early Ford's yet. It's fun figuring out how to do this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shackle 4.jpg (26.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-06-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:09 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Rockfla, Sounds like you are getting a good education on running your lathe. It's always fun to learn new skills and from the sounds of it, this appears to be some complex tooling. I will be watching and learning as you do your next chapter.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:19 AM   #15
Mart

Lathes are great, It's excellent that you are using it to make tools. I use my lathe most days and it's a real boon to any tinkerer's shop. I show it quite often in my videos.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:37 AM   #16
mfirth

I salute you sir; that's something my dad would have done. I sadly lack the skill set. Well done!
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:43 AM   #17
GB SISSON

I catch myself looking at lathes on craigslist. Seattle 'WAS' a real blue collar town with many residents in highly skilled jobs like the shipyards and Boeing. Now their stuff, obviously well cared for is getting sold by the next generation. Most of the ones I could justify buying are either really small or tremendously large. Not sure I know the right size for a tinkerer. But that sounds like a thread in itself. Maybe next week I'll start one.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #18
tubman

Ryan has another forum that would be better suited for this; it's called "The Garage Journal". I'll bet there are tons of information about this on it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #19
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I catch myself looking at lathes on craigslist. Seattle 'WAS' a real blue collar town with many residents in highly skilled jobs like the shipyards and Boeing. Now their stuff, obviously well cared for is getting sold by the next generation. Most of the ones I could justify buying are either really small or tremendously large. Not sure I know the right size for a tinkerer. But that sounds like a thread in itself. Maybe next week I'll start one.
I’ve looked at couple local to me.....they were like you say....almost big enough to have to hire someone to move them and old enough where I was concerned about replacement parts. I think I would “outgrow” one of the small bench top ones pretty quick......keep looking I guess......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:24 PM   #20
tubman

I have a cheap ($700) imported lathe with a 7" swing and a 14" reach. I find it fully adequate for the things I need to do in my advanced years. I use it extensively building my condensers. I've had it about 7 years now, and have had to replace a couple of parts, but they were available and for a decent price. One of the things that I checked out carefully was the availability of spare parts. I bought it from an outfit called "Little Machine Shop" (who specializes in smaller end machine tools), and they really have this stuff covered. They also offer a mini-mill that I am considering acquiring.

Almost as important as the price was the size and the ability to run on regular power. I got a real good deal on a used floor model drill press a few years ago and it turned out fine, with the exception of needing three-phase power. Since we did not have it at our location, our choice was to change the motor, or use a phase converter. While the latter is cheaper, the motor produces only 2/3 of it's rated power (we went with it anyway). Too small? there is currently a thread on the H.A.M.B about brake lathes, where a couple of guys described now to use a regular lathe to turn drums. Since a Ford drum is 12", and my lathe has a 7"swing, it should work for me as well.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote