Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #21
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Restoration cost

Going to cost you a lot MORE than you'll ever get back
As others have said look for one already done or a good presentable driver. JMO

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #22
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Yes a lot of variables but for a good average
I just finished my Tudor which is a national winner. I farmed out the body and paint work but did all the labor myself, assembly and parts, sheet metal, interior, diff gears, tranny, gears, radiator etc....
i have yet to add up the receipts but I'm in the neighborhood of 45-50k without my labor....
The paint and body work costs 15k and that was a special deal...
Figure in labor and holy cow lets see 2000 hours by 75 a cheap rate 150k plus 50 = 200k
I have an agreed value of 80k for insurance which is low
Anyone want to buy it
Yes,,,, would you take $15,000 Ya gotta figure in depreciation...........
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
Tinbasher

I just finished a 30 Coupe and had over 1200 hrs in the body and paint restoration. Plus $5000.00 in materials. The complete restoration was $80,000. for a Show driver.
The average ground up restoration works out to about 3000 hrs. plus parts, services like chrome, interior Etc. It's easy to get into $125,000.00. It all comes down to what you want and how much you want to do, or can do yourself.
A Pebble Beach Concourse restoration can start at $750,000.00.

The bottom lines is are you having fun with your car? It comes in many ways.

Here's some pictures of the Coupe.

John Poole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A 27.jpg (71.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg B 177.jpg (80.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg B 180.jpg (62.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg B 194.jpg (60.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg B 187.jpg (69.3 KB, 64 views)
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #24
Barry B./ Ma.

Hi Patrick, I just went through that in building my 30 standard roadster. I used a new steel body but many other restored parts making it a good reliable driver. I recently sold it and it was a "wash" at around 18K but I did enjoy doing it and had fun driving it for a couple of years. The only outside repair I paid was for the engine, transmission and rear end. Good luck with your project.
Barry B/ Ma.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
None of those cars are in restored show condition... Not impressed at all they are all drivers.
Yes you can buy a freshly properly restored car cheaper I agree but find one.
No marks, scratches, chips, swirls, perfect inside and out, top to bottom, and properly mechanically redone
Good luck
Very true statement. AND a lot rides on who 'restored' the car. I'm sure at one time we've all gone to look at a 'restored' Model A, Early V-8, Camaro, Mustang, whatever and when we actually saw the car, we thought 'HIS idea of restored don't jive w/ mine I've looked at a number of cars that turned out to be turds, and they promised on the phone they were mint. Sometimes they even look decent in a picture. Had to bite my lip to not insult the guy, and walk away. Thought, well, maybe it does look good to him but I'm not seeing it the same way.

In response to the original post, I'd guess for a '30-'31 Roadster plan on spending at least $70K for a pretty good job w some of the better repop parts. Probably a bit more I don't know???

If you are shooting for a lot of NOS parts it is getting a lot harder to go that route from what I've been reading..........
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #26
mrtexas

Whatever you do go out and buy the best vehicle you can find as a start. You will save a lot of money in the long run.

Last edited by mrtexas; 07-06-2015 at 08:22 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

I know 2 fellas that bought virtually show ready/tour ready cars & spent a mint of time & money, just to get them in shape for an ICE CREAM run!!! There's reasons why some are dumping their cars?????
I try to be HAPPY as a HOG in MUD, with what I have, it's decent (see avatar) will be very reliable, & the Dog loves our new BAR ROOM swivel seats & will like our NASCAR kzhaust system, when running & a QUICK trip to Johnnys' Muffler!! Yes, I'm keeping the stock kzhaust system, for a quick change back, when I git OLD & GRUMPY.
Bill W.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I know 2 fellas that bought virtually show ready/tour ready cars & spent a mint of time & money, just to get them in shape for an ICE CREAM run!!! There's reasons why some are dumping their cars?????
I try to be HAPPY as a HOG in MUD, with what I have, it's decent (see avatar) will be very reliable, & the Dog loves our new BAR ROOM swivel seats & will like our NASCAR kzhaust system, when running & a QUICK trip to Johnnys' Muffler!! Yes, I'm keeping the stock kzhaust system, for a quick change back, when I git OLD & GRUMPY.
Bill W.
Very true and look how often we see it happening on the barn
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #29
Karl

[QUOTE=Jason in TX;1116160]You can always buy an already restored Model A cheaper than having one restored.

If you watch ebay and know what you are looking at, you can buy a super nice Model A between $12,000 and $20,000 depending on body style.

Pay more at the beginning and only cry once.

Jason you are so right - I have restored cars and it is a great feeling when they are finished. But so very expensive to do right . The last 4 I have brought have been done by someone else . I'm careful about what I buy and budget on needing to spend about 10% of the purchase price to put little things right. All my cars are drivers which I like to look exactly original. They are much admired but are not fine point cars. I will use a re-pop part if it looks original and works . -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
DJ S

It's very discouraging to be reading this thread as a 15 year old entering the Model A hobby and I can see why many people are turned off to go out and purchase a Model A with the intentions of restoring it.

My plans moving forward was to purchase a driver and another that I will restore as the years go by but those dreams seem to be drifting off as it doesn't make any economical sense to restore a Model A. I saw a beautifully restored 1930 tudor that was going for $14,000 OBO... wouldn't it make sense to just negotiate and get this beautiful car for $12,000 maybe even $11,000 instead of spending thousands upon thousands more? Unfortunately the growing lack of interest is continuing to lower the value of these cars and making a restoration less and less worth the time and money.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #31
1955cj5

It really depends on what you want. A restored car, or the experience and satisfaction of having "done it yourself".

I think that with most antique/vintage/classic vehicles it is less expensive to buy one that is already restored.

And of course "restored" means different things to different people. To me restored is returning it to what it looked like on the dealer floor or lot when it was new.

I like my old pickup. I have no intention of restoring it, i just want to maintain it as a driver....I really like replacing this, adjusting that and then taking it for a drive to see if it has improved any....it's come a long way, but there is lots more to do.

Randy

Last edited by 1955cj5; 07-06-2015 at 10:25 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #32
harleynut

Glenn is spot on. I got 22K in mine. It's probably worth 12K. But I did get a lot of fun and satisfaction out of it. I have friends in my sportsman club that have that much in Trap guns. Life is short, if you really like it, just do it.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 PM   #33
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
It's very discouraging to be reading this thread as a 15 year old entering the Model A hobby and I can see why many people are turned off to go out and purchase a Model A with the intentions of restoring it.
There is nothing like driving a car that you have built yourself.

Quote:
Unfortunately the growing lack of interest is continuing to lower the value of these cars and making a restoration less and less worth the time and money.
Interest in cars come and go. It only takes a film like "The Great Gatsby" or some such to bring about a revival of interest in the 1920's.

If you are interested in travel, go to the "Goodwood Revival" in the UK. No shortage of young people interested in old cars and dressing up in period costume. The locals tell me the cost of old clothes has sky rocketed and even replica prams sell for thousands.
And go to an auction there and see a 1920's Alpha go for millions.

Cars that are currently fully restored and going for a good price are an "opportunity" that hasn't existed in the past.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:11 AM   #34
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Hopefully Brent will give us a figure as he Is a well respected authority in the restoration " business " ! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 07-07-2015 at 03:34 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #35
Jason in TX

Here you go.. For around $34,000 you can get the TWICE MAFCA best in show winner and Award of Excellence winner with a 480 Score... And you didn't throw $80K to $100K at a shop to do it.

Will you take me to lunch for saving you $50,000? Use the money saved to fly to the seller 1st class and drive that beauty home. What an adventure!

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172823

Happiness is not achieved by owning the fancy object. It's achieved by having the life experiences the object brings you!

Last edited by Jason in TX; 07-07-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What ever you think it will be times 2.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #37
BlueSunoco

Yes, I guess if you figure that a brand new Lariat Ford pickup w/ all the doodads will be pushing north of $60K, and in a few years that vehicle will be worth a fraction of what you pay,,,,,, I'd spend the $$ on the A and drive a decent used car!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #38
Bob Bidonde

From experience, in excess of $50,000.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #39
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Here you go.. For around $34,000 you can get the TWICE MAFCA best in show winner and Award of Excellence winner with a 480 Score... And you didn't throw $80K to $100K at a shop to do it.

Will you take me to lunch for saving you $50,000? Use the money saved to fly to the seller 1st class and drive that beauty home. What an adventure!

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172823

Happiness is not achieved by owning the fancy object. It's achieved by having the life experiences the object brings you!

Hey, that car looks familiar ! It looks more better though and has them thar white walls.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #40
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post

My plans moving forward was to purchase a driver and another that I will restore as the years go by but those dreams seem to be drifting off as it doesn't make any economical sense to restore a Model A. I saw a beautifully restored 1930 tudor that was going for $14,000 OBO... wouldn't it make sense to just negotiate and get this beautiful car for $12,000 maybe even $11,000 instead of spending thousands upon thousands more? Unfortunately the growing lack of interest is continuing to lower the value of these cars and making a restoration less and less worth the time and money.
DJ.S, to answer your question, YES, YES, YES. Find a car YOU like and just drive it. You'll love when someone asks "does it run" or when you discover your dog loves riding in the car as much as you do or when you're asked "have you had it since it was new?"
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote