Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
milo

Default Re: Model A Prices

I have found the 'beaters' to be quite reasonable...
Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
James77

I wouldn't mind a driver that needed some work. I'd like something someday for me an my son to enjoy workin on! That tv show GearZ....he loves that show.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
CarlG

After 50 years of NOT owning a Model A, (I had 2 of them when I was younger) I really had no idea of what I was getting myself into when I decided to get my current rig several years ago. I just knew that I wanted a Model A. I was really pleasantly surprised that I was able to not only afford the purchase price, that I was able to find one in relatively good condition for that price, and that parts and support are so readily available.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
johnsor

Geographics play a role in Model A prices. Here in the upper Midwest, (N. Wisc.) prices are lower than on either of the coasts. Also, many of them still in barns and sheds, especially in northern Minnesota and North Dakota.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Will Model A's ever be out of reach for the average joe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brum1 View Post
I don't think they will go out of reach in our lifetime.

I still find them to be one of the most affordable antique car out there, especially when you consider repair cost.
I agree! A's have always been less that a new car. Since a stock A can be driven as a daily driver if wanted (no highways) I don't see the day when an A would be out of reach of the average Joe.

"The estimated average transaction price for light vehicles in the United States was $31,377 in May 2013, up $152 -- 0.5% -- from last month and up $103 -- 0.3% -- year-over-year, according to Kelley Blue Book, a provider of new and used car information."
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
Uncle Bob

Lots of reasonable commentary, especially the supply/demand, willing buyer/willing seller, regional differences ones. One man's affordable is another man's crazy high or crazy low price point. No matter what, these aren't necessities, they're life's extras and as such rely on available/disposable income (perceived or real). Besides the aging enthusiast base and diminished enthusiasm of the replacement group real cost of living has hit pretty hard in the past 10 years despite the propaganda about low inflation. From 2003 to today the price of gasoline has more than doubled (yeah a volatile product so let's look at a couple others). Milk, bread, and a pound of ground chuck are all up about 50% in that time, and coffee is just about double. These are staples that folks have few options for. And then there's looming uncertainty hanging over the citizenry heavier than it has in some time, which has varying forms of motivation.

A good local example set for our little corner of the country; currently there are five 30/1 coupes i've noticed advertised around here. They've ranged in asking price between $12 and 20k. The ads continue week to week. They are each older "restorations" of varying quality and "deterioration". One of the nicer ones started at $15k a few weeks ago, then every couple weeks he'd drop the price some. Last week he got down to $10k FIRM. This week the word firm disappeared from the ad. This is probably a motivated seller and he's getting little to no serious response. There are lots of factors that play into a market for certain kinds of items, and those factors will change from time to time, but overall it appears the market for stock(ish) Model As in this part of the country is pretty soft (relatively speaking) right now.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Advertised prices and what most will actually pay are two different things. It looks to me like prices have dropped quite a bit in the last few years.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Purdy Swoft

Jeff, I agree. I'm into them for the love of the cars. I've never planned on selling any of my model A's. For the true model A lover, its like a terminal disease, there is no cure.

As for cigarettes, Deb gave me so much Hell, I finally quit. I'm glad I quit. Its been 18 years since I smoked one and I don't even want one any more. The money that I've saved would buy a lot of parts, maybe more model A's.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
Brother Hesekiel

I'm not a Model A owner yet, but I own a few humble classics, among them a Model T and I'm actively shopping for a T now and thus I'm monitoring the market closely.

Few people are interested in a Fordor, so those seem to be a hard sell. I personally like the Tudor, as it's a wonderful car that can be used on a daily basis, if so desired. I've come across several of those cars between $7K and close-to-$9K, and they were really nice ones

I'm actively shopping for a 1928 or '29 Roadster in not-so-flashy colors, preferably all black with black wires (which would be an easy fix). Most of these cars cost $15K-20K. Superbly restored ones and '30/'31 Deluxe Models are more expensive. Strangely, Phaetons are rather rare and expensive, whereas their older siblings, the Model T Tourings, are very common.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Jeff, I agree. I'm into them for the love of the cars. I've never planned on selling any of my model A's. For the true model A lover, its like a terminal disease, there is no cure.

As for cigarettes, Deb gave me so much Hell, I finally quit. I'm glad I quit. Its been 18 years since I smoked one and I don't even want one any more. The money that I've saved would buy a lot of parts, maybe more model A's.

I've been smoke free since '05. I sing in our church, when I smoked....I didn't sing songs, I gargled 'em!! LOL! Ever since I quit though, I feel better and sing better. Biggest reason I quit was me and the wife we're getting ready to have our son.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post

Me too, I did not buy to sell it for a profit.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

Theres a 30 Coupe ( red) is good running shape with nice paint down the street from me for 12,500 and a 31 Victoria ( doesnt run very well and has a bad steering box) next door for $21,000.....
Seen two a couple a coupe and a sedan on my way to lunch , looked so nice from the street i didnt even stop and look??
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
racer32

What the heck...figured I'd make my first post...seems like a good place to start. I just bought my first Model A. Late 31 coupe, in pretty decent shape and all complete. No major rust (a couple of small spots in the wheelwells), and it needs paint. I've been looking for several years, and this is the best one I could find that was "in reach" for me. I paid $7500 for it. I've been tinkering on it a little trying to get it running again, but still not there yet.

Last edited by racer32; 07-29-2013 at 11:21 PM.
racer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
milo

Hey 'racer32', Let's see a pic of your new purchase...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
racer32

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Hey 'racer32', Let's see a pic of your new purchase...
I tried to post a pic, but it wouldn't upload. I've got to figure out how to make the pics smaller.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer32 View Post
I tried to post a pic, but it wouldn't upload. I've got to figure out how to make the pics smaller.
I use free software mihov image resizer http://www.imageresizer.com/
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Uncle Bob

And if you've got a Windows operating system on a PC there's "Paint" which has an easy resizing function.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #38
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
And if you've got a Windows operating system on a PC there's "Paint" which has an easy resizing function.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that and dislike the one that I downloaded previously. Thanks again.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
racer32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Success!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #40
Uncle Bob

I can almost hear ya going Vroom Vrooom right now............