Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Bob Johnson

Default What's it worth

I just updated my "What's it worth page" to include the latest information form the Restorer and Model A News magazines (through 2017). I had a disk crash last year and installed an updated operating system on my server. The result is that the graphs do not work yet. However the tables do work. See link below.

Bob

http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/prices
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: What's it worth

Very cool, Thanks for your hard work of making this!

Is your site stickied on the forums?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
old31

Bob, that is some real nice work. Nice job and thanks.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
wingski

Thank you, Bob. Boy, if I’d had something like that available, I wouldn’t have asked that value of car question. Oh yeh, I would have anyway because of all the crap I got. I just love some of the off-beat answers I get. The old Ford Barn is one hell of lot more entertaining than T.V.

Thanks again,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

Nice! Tough and time consuming I'm sure. Neat format to present the data also.

My guess, however, is that more As are sold on eBay and CraigsList than through the two clubs. It would probably be doable to catalog the eBay sales, but pretty tough to gather all of those from CraigsList (and with CraigsList the actual selling price is also unknown).

There is generally a fairly big difference between asking price and selling price...maybe especially for Model As.

For example, I just looked at the completed eBay listings. Listings that have closed since the 1st of January. There were 51 stock (or stock appearing) Model As that whose listings ended in this time period. Only 8 sold. The other 43 either did not bid to the seller's reserve or no one bought it for the stated selling price if it was not an auction listing.

It would be interesting to benchmark the average percent difference between 1st asking price and final selling price.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
3.6rs

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
OK, but what are those average prices ? The listing price or the price they were sold for ? because there is a big difference between them.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

"Thank you, Bob. Boy, if I’d had something like that available, I wouldn’t have asked that value of car question. Oh yeh, I would have anyway because of all the crap I got. I just love some of the off-beat answers I get. The old Ford Barn is one hell of lot more entertaining than T.V.

Thanks again,

Mike"

For entertainment you need to watch "MOST SHOCKING" on the police channel. It's unreal what the crazies are up to.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
ronn

Nice! Tough and time consuming I'm sure. Neat format to present the data also.

My guess, however, is that more As are sold on eBay and CraigsList than through the two clubs. It would probably be doable to catalog the eBay sales, but pretty tough to gather all of those from CraigsList (and with CraigsList the actual selling price is also unknown).

There is generally a fairly big difference between asking price and selling price...maybe especially for Model As.

For example, I just looked at the completed eBay listings. Listings that have closed since the 1st of January. There were 51 stock (or stock appearing) Model As that whose listings ended in this time period. Only 8 sold. The other 43 either did not bid to the seller's reserve or no one bought it for the stated selling price if it was not an auction listing.

It would be interesting to benchmark the average percent difference between 1st asking price and final selling price.

x2 -my guess is the real selling prices on ebay are a bit lower and can be extremely current for the time of year.
I believe better deals are to be had in the bad winter months vs spring or fall.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Bob Johnson

Yes the prices listed are "Asking" prices. I did not contact each seller to find out if each car was sold and if so how much was the selling price. I have thought of adding Ebay, Craigslist or other sources of prices. However those listings go away after time. I would have to be constantly collecting data and I do not have the time or desire to do that. I agree that my page is not perfect. But I do think that it shows the trends in the prices of Model As. If you are selling or buying a car it will give you an idea of what the "value" might be. After looking at thousands of ads I can say that the price of a Model A of a body style and condition can vary widely. For example a Tudor in Driver condition over the last 5 years. The minimum is $8K, the maximum is $25K and the average is $15K. That is a very wide range. The two main factors for the wide range are actual condition of the Model A and the sellers thoughts on what the car is worth. However it is interesting to see what the average price of "Driver" cars is with respect to body style. In most cases the lowest priced body style is the AA followed by the Tudor. The most expensive is the 400A followed by the Station Wagon and the Cabriolet. Another interesting result is that the 1931 Model As are priced the highest followed by the 1930 and 1928. The 1929s are the lowest priced. You can see lots of different trends by selecting different options.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote