Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
29Cabriolet

Default Another Seat Belt Thread

Hi All!
I am about to install seat belts in my Cab so I'm looking for advice and/or suggestions on that from any one who has done an installation on a 68A or similar body style. I searched the forum but did not find anything that specific. I did read about Juliano's retractables with the anchor plates they offer. So far that seems the best option depending on the complexity of the installation. i.e. would I need to do any modifications? How or where are the backing plates attached?
Many thanks for any and all suggestions on Juliano's (or maybe an alternate source) as well as installation tips!
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Lona

Default Re: Another Seat Belt Thread

Google "put 3 point retractable seat belts in roadster" to see a ford barn post on the subject. PM me if I can help.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Barry B./ Ma.

I put lap belts in my 30 roadster and it was simple but maybe the cabriolet is different. I mounted a 1/4"x 4" steel plate full length under the rumble seat riser then drilled and mounted the anchor bolts and threaded the belts under the backrest cushion and above the base cushion. I think Bruce Adams of L.I. NY has belts installed on his 30 cabriolet.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
5window

Not sure about your installation but Andover Restraints has some nice belts at a good price and they're DOT approved. I put a set in my OT '31.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
I put lap belts in my 30 roadster and it was simple but maybe the cabriolet is different. I mounted a 1/4"x 4" steel plate full length under the rumble seat riser then drilled and mounted the anchor bolts and threaded the belts under the backrest cushion and above the base cushion. I think Bruce Adams of L.I. NY has belts installed on his 30 cabriolet.
Thanks Barry! PM sent
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Russ B

On my 68A, I bolted the outer anchor mounts through the wood rails with a 3" or so flat washer drilled and nailed to the bottom of the rails. It sits outside the frame rails, so I had to place a smaller hole saw hole through the splash apron for access and clearance. I mounted the inside anchor bolts to an aftermarket body cross channel (36080 is Bratton's part number) using the wider channel of the three. I modified it to sit under the rumble seat floor pan, and fabricated ends wrapped around the top of the wood rails and bolted down to the body by the anchor bolts (at the center seat belt bolts) and the number 5 body to frame bolts on the outside.

I felt this was a reasonably strong set of anchors, all things considered. I did the work when I replaced all body wood and floor sheet metal. It would be more difficult to do this way if the body was not in some state of disassembly.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote